IGNORED

‘A Block Ultras’

OliOTIB

49 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

To be fair, and I am not one of the singers or atmosphere generators by any stretch, what we watched was pretty uninspiring.

But the performance, with the atmosphere was like a teenage Disco, where everyone wants to engage, but both are waiting for someone to go first.

Sort of agree, but was flat from early on the atmosphere. Oddly subdued.

Not what a big crowd, Opening Day and a renewed sense of optimism should bring after 2 years of downsizing, consolidation and eventually starting to put building blocks in place should bring.

48 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

To be fair, and I am not one of the singers or atmosphere generators by any stretch, what we watched was pretty uninspiring.

But the performance, with the atmosphere was like a teenage Disco, where everyone wants to engage, but both are waiting for someone to go first.

Remember the Norwich 1-0 win last season the atmosphere was great.. was the AG8 anniversary so that helped a lot.. but it can be a good ground when it gets going. 'Red Army' chant gets loud and of course it would be nice to sing everyones favourite Alex Scott chant but that situation is what it is. Hopefully a new chant emerges for a player like the Scotty one or the 'HNM hair is massive' chant that gets everybody in the mood to sing.

Got to give us fans a pass though the other day.. neither team had a shot until Belly missed on around 40 mins, was one of the worst half's I've ever watched apart from that! Like not even bad for an opening day just one of the most boring games I've ever seen. 

Random example but cant help but think that Brentford's ground looks really soulless and a poor atmosphere waiting to happen if it was a lower mid table championship team's, but people like Gary Neville are always saying how great it is there... personally I think it falls a lot on the fact that Preston North End were clumsily kicking it back to us who couldnt put 2 passes together both sides who have never played in the prem.

Championship football.. can be unpredictable yes but sometimes its very uninspiring.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Sort of agree, but was flat from early on the atmosphere. Oddly subdued.

Not what a big crowd, Opening Day and a renewed sense of optimism should bring after 2 years of downsizing, consolidation and eventually starting to put building blocks in place should bring.

but also agree with this ... was a bit quieter than I thought it would be even in the circumstances 

• Like 1

Have quite a few friends dotted all over that support teams from Plymouth up to Middlesborough. 

Everyone of them says the same thing, Bristol city have one of the better away crowds they see all season. But when they come to the gate it’s a shock out how quiet it is.

Don’t know the solution but it is something that the club should be trying to proactively improve upon. 

Granted I went to less home games last year, Uni, but the only atmosphere I remember that could be classified as good were Man City and Norwich. One of them was our most high profile game in 5 years the other an anniversary. 

Don’t know to what degree it impacts our players but I can’t safely say a better home atmosphere wouldn’t make them play worse. 

Edit - Just a comment but the chant: Bris-tol City OO nah nah nah OO is absolutely shite. 

Edited by George Rs
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, George Rs said:

Have quite a few friends dotted all over that support teams from Plymouth up to Middlesborough. 

Everyone of them says the same thing, Bristol city have one of the better away crowds they see all season. But when they come to the gate it’s a shock out how quiet it is.

Don’t know the solution but it is something that the club should be trying to proactively improve upon. 

Granted I went to less home games last year, Uni, but the only atmosphere I remember that could be classified as good were Man City and Norwich. One of them was our most high profile game in 5 years the other an anniversary. 

Don’t know to what degree it impacts our players but I can’t safely say a better home atmosphere wouldn’t make them play worse. 

Edit - Just a comment but the chant: Bris-tol City OO nah nah nah OO is absolutely shite. 

In an ideal world we could put away fans in the upper Lansdown and then have S82 move to the Atyeo. 

Agreed!

• Like 3

The people above complaining about the atmosphere, and the songs being sung etc.

Is it possible to know what contribution you are giving to improve it? Or is it a case of I’ll moan that others are not doing it right?

There seems to be a lot of this in all parts of modern society, complain you don’t like something without providing any other solutions. 

Edited by Wedontplayinblue
  • Like 2

I think we lack the hostility of the old EE tbh, and that has definitely worsened the atmosphere. Part of the charm/idiosyncrasies of the pre-refurb AG was that it felt like you were right up against the pitch (particularly in the old dolman lower tier and the front of the EE). Now it seems like the pitch is quite distant. Section 82 is a good effort, but not up to scratch in all honesty.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

The people above complaining about the atmosphere, and the songs being sung etc.

Is it possible to know what contribution you are giving to improve it? Or is it a case of I’ll moan that others are not doing it right?

There seems to be a lot of this in all parts of modern society, complain you don’t like something without providing any other solutions. 

Disagree there- I think there’s quite a few practical suggestions on this thread on steps that could be taken, certainly in terms of where to stand etc .

No idea to what extent all posters are contributing as there’s not really a way of collecting stats on individual fan participation . I have a really loud clap and join in on most songs if that helps?

With regards to your final point I’d counter that there seems to be  an increasing number of people complaining that more people are moaning these days . Twas ever thus? 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, The chief said:

Disagree there- I think there’s quite a few practical suggestions on this thread on steps that could be taken, certainly in terms of where to stand etc .

No idea to what extent all posters are contributing as there’s not really a way of collecting stats on individual fan participation . I have a really loud clap and join in on most songs if that helps?

With regards to your final point I’d counter that there seems to be  an increasing number of people complaining that more people are moaning these days . Twas ever thus? 

Social media, forums etc give people a much easier platform for talking about things. A  lot of what is said on forums and social media you’d never say face to face in a pub for example. 

I’m not talking about where to stand etc, it’s clear the club wants that sort of fan far away from away fans hence not selling tickets in A Block this season unless it’s near a sell out. 

Im on about the songs. 

Surely if you (generic you, not you personally) do not like songs that are being sung, you can simply start your own? It’s not like it’s some sort of racket and only certain songs allowed. 

It’s all about personal taste aswell, older people wanting older songs, younger lads wanting more generic “ultra” songs. 

The people who sing the songs might really like them but posting on a forum saying how bad they are, atmosphere is dreadful etc without any solution to that is pretty pointless isn’t it? 

Edited by Wedontplayinblue
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

I think we lack the hostility of the old EE tbh, and that has definitely worsened the atmosphere. Part of the charm/idiosyncrasies of the pre-refurb AG was that it felt like you were right up against the pitch (particularly in the old dolman lower tier and the front of the EE). Now it seems like the pitch is quite distant. Section 82 is a good effort, but not up to scratch in all honesty.

I really think we all need to move away from this ‘it’s S82’s fault’….- let’s face it half of the people in there, if not more  are there because they were the cheapest tickets - not so they can have a sing song.  
The club dug themselves a huge hole by designating it ‘the singing area’.  They also don’t help things by making any crowd based piece of social media being accompanied by a pic of S82 as opposed to any other area of the ground.  It gives a false picture of what’s actually going on around the whole ground.  Makes it look great when it’s not. 
The singing area designation gives every other area of the ground an excuse not to sing -  ‘oh it’s ok - we will leave it up to the lads in the corner’.   It is not that corner of the ground’s responsibility to create the atmosphere - it’s all of ours.
So I think the ‘singing section’ should be de badged and maybe some kind of campaign launched (flyers, social media, posters) by the club or by the supporters club - or by both - to actively encourage noise around the ground.  It would have to be sustained and joined up  - it won’t change overnight - but it can be done.
These amazing atmospheres we see in Germany for example dont just happen - lots and lots of work and coordination is put into it - but it can be done.  Possibly I’m just talking crap / pie in the sky stuff - but something needs to be done as it’s now truly truly dreadful down AG. 

ps @OddBallJim not picking on you btw - just using your post as an example as many people say it! 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

Social media, forums etc give people a much easier platform for talking about things. A  lot of what is said on forums and social media you’d never say face to face in a pub for example. 

Surely if you (generic you, not you personally) do not like songs that are being sung, you can simply start your own? It’s not like it’s some sort of racket and only certain songs allowed. 

It’s all about personal taste aswell, older people wanting older songs, younger lads wanting more generic “ultra” songs. 

The people who sing the songs might really like them but posting on a forum saying how bad they are, atmosphere is dreadful etc without any solution to that is pretty pointless isn’t it? 

Yeah true . Serial moaners would have been confined to the corner of a pub up until social media gave everyone a platform  . 

as for songs and atmosphere- we do get called out for being a noisy away support, so there’s not a lot wrong with songs etc for half our games…

10 minutes ago, The chief said:

Yeah true . Serial moaners would have been confined to the corner of a pub up until social media gave everyone a platform  . 

as for songs and atmosphere- we do get called out for being a noisy away support, so there’s not a lot wrong with songs etc for half our games…

You rarely find home fans better than away fans though, there is hardly any grounds in the championship I’d say we’re noisy, would you?

Take Coventry, their away fans were amazing the last few years yet at home the atmosphere is dreadful. 

I don’t think our away support noise wise is anything special, it’s just standard with other teams. 

14 minutes ago, lenred said:

I really think we all need to move away from this ‘it’s S82’s fault’….- let’s face it half of the people in there, if not more  are there because they were the cheapest tickets - not so they can have a sing song.  
The club dug themselves a huge hole by designating it ‘the singing area’.  They also don’t help things by making any crowd based piece of social media being accompanied by a pic of S82 as opposed to any other area of the ground.  It gives a false picture of what’s actually going on around the whole ground.  Makes it look great when it’s not. 
The singing area designation gives every other area of the ground an excuse not to sing -  ‘oh it’s ok - we will leave it up to the lads in the corner’.   It is not that corner of the ground’s responsibility to create the atmosphere - it’s all of ours.
So I think the ‘singing section’ should be de badged and maybe some kind of campaign launched (flyers, social media, posters) by the club or by the supporters club - or by both - to actively encourage noise around the ground.  It would have to be sustained and joined up  - it won’t change overnight - but it can be done.
These amazing atmospheres we see in Germany for example dont just happen - lots and lots of work and coordination is put into it - but it can be done.  Possibly I’m just talking crap / pie in the sky stuff - but something needs to be done as it’s now truly truly dreadful down AG. 

ps @OddBallJim not picking on you btw - just using your post as an example as many people say it! 

Exactly what I tried to post but in a much better way. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

You rarely find home fans better than away fans though, there is hardly any grounds in the championship I’d say we’re noisy, would you?

Take Coventry, their away fans were amazing the last few years yet at home the atmosphere is dreadful. 

I don’t think our away support noise wise is anything special, it’s just standard with other teams. 

Exactly what I tried to post but in a much better way. 

Yep- most home grounds are sterile/quiet. I just think we can do more.

The idea of a singing section is tinpot - like goal music or clappers. We’re better than that .
what we have is a standing section and fair play to those there that make a noise.

Agee with Len about the whole ground needs to participate, hence why I think the E34 folk did help for a few games. As I’ve said, having louder fans right next to away fans so they can feed off each other a bit would help IMO.

don’t think it’ll be very loud tomorrow mind! 

cheers. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

In an ideal world we could put away fans in the upper Lansdown and then have S82 move to the Atyeo. 

Agreed!

Not so sure tbh.. sound doesn't travel to the rest of the ground from the Atyeo... Away fans are pretty quiet however loud they sing.. its too isolated out on its own.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I suspect you are one of our younger supporters, and your points seem reasonable, although I remain sceptical about housing fans from both clubs in the same stand, mainly for security reasons and the associated increase in costs (and potential Club fines).

Nevertheless, if you do harbour visions of sitting in the Atyeo Stand, you might do well do learn how to spell the late, great John's name correctly. 

Probably just a typo, like the one in your post.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The chief said:

I go predominantly away - in part because I live 3 hours from Ashton Gate, and often only able to make midweek / non-saturday games as I still play on a Saturday.

Away atmospheres will always be better - it's a day out, away from the family, the kids, the responsibilities of life for many. Away games will always attract a different "type" of supporter too.

I can't recall many grounds I've gone to where the home atmosphere is any good, except when they've scored / are winning or flying high in the league.

• Like 3

Some of the first images of the current AG had the entire lower Dolman and South Stand designated for safe standing. This was a promise to Bristol Rugby fans to replicate the experience of the side terrace and thatchers end at the mem.

Putting the barriers we have in S82 across the lower Dolman and SS would help with atmosphere, and actualise a promise made to Bristol Rugby fans.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MarcusX said:

I go predominantly away - in part because I live 3 hours from Ashton Gate, and often only able to make midweek / non-saturday games as I still play on a Saturday.

Away atmospheres will always be better - it's a day out, away from the family, the kids, the responsibilities of life for many. Away games will always attract a different "type" of supporter too.

I can't recall many grounds I've gone to where the home atmosphere is any good, except when they've scored / are winning or flying high in the league.

Agree with a lot of this, how the game has changed somewhat too etc.

Looking at it within the constraints of modern times etc.

Still the club could do more to facilitate. Sticking the 'Singing Section' in a corner, and a relatively small one at that..doesn't really help atmosphere to spread although a counter argument is that being at the corner of Dolman and South Stand means maybe it heads both ways.

Quite why it needs to be so risk averse in respect of the Atyeo Home and Away split, it's never been fully explained has it. Other grounds I'm sure seem less...concerned. Properly policed and stewarded yes of course.

Yes E34, granted this is more complex as many who have sat there before for years will take precedence- perhaps that one not so much, not quite sure what the situation is there these days.

4 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Some of the first images of the current AG had the entire lower Dolman and South Stand designated for safe standing. This was a promise to Bristol Rugby fans to replicate the experience of the side terrace and thatchers end at the mem.

Putting the barriers we have in S82 across the lower Dolman and SS would help with atmosphere, and actualise a promise made to Bristol Rugby fans.

I assume this was a plan which could have ran into regulatory barriers. Safe Standing has to be Licenced, would it get sign off and especially would it have got sign off however many years back? For football certainly.

2 hours ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

Sorry but when Coventry beat us 2-1 at their place it was absolutely rocking and to be fair to them it has been like that since they’ve been back in the champ .

Also teams like Leeds , Middlesbrough, Norwich,Ipswich , Cardiff , Wednesday and Southampton all have home support who more than always drown out the home support .

10 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

If there was safe standing along the front of the Dolman I'd imagine it would do a huge amount to help generate noise across the stadium, closer to the pitch as well. Obviously, there are a lot of people who have existing season tickets in that area so moving them would likely be an issue (although I'm sure the option of 'we can move you to a seat in the dry' might help in that respect), and if it was unreserved, I'd wouldn't be remotely surprised to see a healthy split between those who want to gesture at away supporters finding their spot and those who want to provide vocal support to the side (with a change of ends at half time) catered for. 

Will it happen? Probably not. 

As I’ve got older I’ve become a lot less self-conscious and don’t worry to much what others think about me. But when it comes to singing at football I think I’ll leave that to a younger lot but am happy to join in when the atmosphere or events on the pitch lift me . 

• Admin
19 minutes ago, Winterstoke toad said:

Also teams like Leeds , Middlesbrough, Norwich,Ipswich , Cardiff , Wednesday and Southampton all have home support who more than always drown out the home support .

Now I am confused :dunno:

17 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

If there was safe standing along the front of the Dolman I'd imagine it would do a huge amount to help generate noise across the stadium, closer to the pitch as well. 

Will it happen? DEFINITELY not. 

Can see the moans already . .. .the sounds doesn't hit a roof and disappears into the open ground

I would still question whether demand is actually there, look at how many were moving to E34 last season, hardly numbers in the hundreds

5 hours ago, lenred said:

It’s ok, I get what you’re trying to say.

FWIW some of the best atmospheres at games that I have attended have been under the designated “Red & White Nights” circa 2003-2006. I would really like to see these return tbh. 

Also, as has been mentioned many times, bin off Downsy who does nothing but sterilise the atmosphere even further.

In Ashton Gate pre redevelopment but post all-seater at varying times we had varying areas which could spread a bit of an atmosphere. This is prior to the wider reopening of the East End to more home fans.

1) Dolman B and to an extent A.

2) One or maybe two Blocks in Atyeo. H rings a bell?

3) Occasionally a small part of East End.

4) A couple of parts of the Atyeo, thinking H Block was it. 

We also saw two areas, one relatively short lived and one for longer:

1) Dolman G- being the part of the Dolman that was closest to the away fans.

2) Williams Block that was close to the away end, would that be H? Not sure- others can fill in the blanks. Again this gets a certain interaction with away fans going.

You had little pockets and the East End or part of the East End was perfect for a few reasons. Wasn't tucked away in a corner, had a roof that helped to spread sound ie good acoustics as well as being the spiritual home.

We've lost something for sure. Why do we have the so called Singing Section so far from the away fans? Or so far from the centre of the stand.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Did a quick search as well, maybe this is outdated but it strikes me that the Safety Advisory Group still appear to be a problem. From 2015.

The moving around Atyeo fans 8 years was somewhat at the behest of the SAG. Maybe it's changed now but it wouldn't surprise me if they remain a big stumbling block in general terms as far as getting an atmosphere going is concerned.

In short, people who want bigger Standing areas and wider Standing opportunities- not opposed in any way, may want to read this, to better inform themselves of the pros and the potential barriers.

https://sgsa.org.uk/licensedstanding/

@Welcome To The Jungle certainly a few hoops to jump through by the look!

Tagged the wrong poster!

4 hours ago, phantom said:

Now I am confused :dunno:

Can see the moans already . .. .the sounds doesn't hit a roof and disappears into the open ground

I would still question whether demand is actually there, look at how many were moving to E34 last season, hardly numbers in the hundreds

Pretty obvious I meant home support that drowns out the away support