IGNORED

Kalas back in training

TommyD68

Looks like Kalas is back fit and training again. Where does he fit into the current starting 11, if at all? I think a lot of people would have said he should play instead of Vyner at the start of the season.. but for me Vyner has been the most consistent player in that defence and arguably player of the season so far. Maybe a back 5 of Tanner-Kalas-Vyner-Atkinson/Naismith-Pring? Will be interesting to see! 

• Admin

Is he match fit though?

I have only been aware of him in the training videos for a short period of time, I would assume he would have to do the normal full pre season training schedule before being anywhere near getting him on the pitch?

Assumedly we will see him getting minutes for the U23s first?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Yeah, they normally take all precautions, so I imagine he will do a few 45 minutes with the kids & gradually build up to fitness. Been out so long it's unlikely they will rush him back.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, phantom said:

Is he match fit though?

I have only been aware of him in the training videos for a short period of time, I would assume he would have to do the normal full pre season training schedule before being anywhere near getting him on the pitch?

They chucked him straight in a couple of months ago. Though, we know how the ended up. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, phantom said:

Is he match fit though?

My gut feel is that his rehab included whatever he needed (call it a mini-pre-season if necessary) to be ready to join back in with “proper” first team training, i.e. he won’t now be doing a pre-season.

His readiness for selection in the first team is unknown, he’s certainly not going to be match sharp.  Nige said ideally some minutes in u21s would be ideal, but who knows, he might need to go straight back in.

That approach didn’t work last time, but in the past he’s come straight back in following injury, albeit not 9 months out in the past.

edit: just re-read your post, think we are saying pretty much the same ?

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, phantom said:

Is he match fit though?

You are probably right yes! Although it wouldn’t surprise me if they chuck him in too soon and he’s injured again in a couple of weeks knowing his luck. If he does get back to fitness though it’s a tough decision for Pearson to make. You’d think Kalas will be off in the summer and will want to play well to try earn a contract elsewhere 

• Like 1

To be honest, the defence of the last few months has been the least of our worries, with a number of the defenders improving immeasurably (Pring, and Vyner in Particular). That has coincided with a drop in the goals conceded, and as such we haven't missed Kalas as much as we did in the first few months of the season.

Unfortunately it's in midfield, and in particular scoring goals that we have been struggling; and I'm not sure what Kalas's return means with regard to that aspect of our game.

Still it's useful to not have to rely on a 34 year old, previously attacking midfielder to cover in at the back. Hopefully Tomas's return, will add to the squad depth, and allow other fringe persona non grata defenders to leave the club.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NcnsBcfc said:

To be honest, the defence of the last few months has been the least of our worries, with a number of the defenders improving immeasurably (Pring, and Vyner in Particular). That has coincided with a drop in the goals conceded, and as such we haven't missed Kalas as much as we did in the first few months of the season.

Unfortunately it's in midfield, and in particular scoring goals that we have been struggling; and I'm not sure what Kalas's return means with regard to that aspect of our game.

Still it's useful to not have to rely on a 34 year old, previously attacking midfielder to cover in at the back. Hopefully Tomas's return, will add to the squad depth, and allow other fringe persona non grata defenders to leave the club.

Tend to agree on this and I'm glad you mentioned the goal issue because at home last 4 League games.

v Sheffield United- 16 shots, 0 goals

v Watford- 9 shots, 0 goals

v Stoke-14 shots, 1 goal

v West Brom- 8 shots, 0 goals

The shot data itself isn't too bad especially in conjunction with tightening up a bit. 7 of the shots v West Brom came in 1st half and they also hit their own bar at 1-0 which doesn't count towards. Like I say shot data not too bad...

...Conversion into goals however! Well.