IGNORED

Wolves fan arrested after calling aways fans something not nice

Slack Bladder

Probably not 'banter' for a gay person, or someone perceived to be gay, on the receiving end of this.

Same would go for racist slurs, thankfully not in the 70s anymore.

Dinosaurs will eventually become extinct, even though you wouldn't think it looking at the state of the world today.

Edited by GlastonburyRed
  • Like 16

10 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

Oh how football has changed since I was a lad. I'm pretty sure I've called away fans and players a lot worse over the years.

Is banter part of football?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-64256724

Does it ever occur to you that said change might be for the better?

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I think the OP wasn't condoning the actions but just stating how it was "then". I bet in the 60's to 90's a lot of posters on here would have used chants etc. as slurs to the opponents (I know I would have), but times and sensibilities have changed and I wouldn't do it now .

Describing it as ‘banter’ suggests otherwise. Banter is defined as “the playful and friendly exchange of teasing remarks”.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

Oh how football has changed since I was a lad. I'm pretty sure I've called away fans and players a lot worse over the years.

Yes banter is part of football.

You'll probably find it's society in general that has moved on and left you behind rather than football.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

One of my mates was nicked at Wolves in the GJ era for singing “town full of gypos” in response to the whole of the South Bank singing similar at us, so it’s nothing new. 

Edited by tin

2 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

My statement was a general one about banter but your comment makes my case.

Agreeing to disagree is dead. If you disagree you are a bad person, if you dare to express a personal opinion that differs in any way from the current popular position you are automatically a bigot.

Free speech and free thought is being shut down by an ultra left minority. God help us.

Homophobia alive and well in Clutton I see. 

It isn't banter, I'm not 'ultra-left' - I am just an accepting human being, you should try it some time.

• Like 6
  • Hmmm 1

33 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Agreeing to disagree is dead. If you disagree you are a bad person, if you dare to express a personal opinion that differs in any way from the current popular position you are automatically a bigot.

Free speech and free thought is being shut down by an ultra left minority. God help us.

"I think you should be allowed to shout hurtful homophobic slurs at people"

"That's not acceptable"

"Well let's just agree to disagree"

What a ridiculous argument. That's just saying "I'm right and refuse to even discuss this" in different words - sad.

Fascinating you associate being a decent person and not abusive with being "ultra left" wing though, hah.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 18

1 hour ago, Slack Bladder said:

My immediate question would be "how do you know you've called people worse given the article doesn't actually tell us what he said?"

I honestly don't believe the police have got the time or resources to go around arresting everyone who says anything and everything inappropriate at a football match. The fact it says it was aimed at players and fans makes me suspect it may not have been something someone said once but someone aiming a fairly constant barrage of abuse. I don't know what that abuse was exactly but I'd not expect someone to be allowed to shout homophobic abuse at a stranger on the street so I'm not quite clear why we're expecting it to be accepted at a football match. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slack Bladder said:

Will be almost impossible to Police this at football but fair play there should be no place for homophobia in football just like racism.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Except that's not true, is it? 

What's actually happened if you've made a comment and someone has disagreed with you, which is not surprising on an internet message board. Someone has expressed an opinion different to yours and your response has been to claim that, because someone disagrees with you, "agreeing to disagree is dead"  and "free speech and free thought is being shut down".

Perhaps taking a long hard look in the mirror would be the best way to identify which poster on this thread is trying to shut down disagreement and speech and ideas different to their own? (Spoiler: It's you). You don't strike me as an "ultra left minority" but I guess I could be wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sorry, when I asked is banter dead at football I was speaking in far more general terms.

Like for example, in one of ours songs (that we have sung for decades) we always to refer to the current Rovers managers mother being a 'whore' which in all honesty, is probably not true.