IGNORED

Blues v Robins 1st Division days.

City oz

Looking back at the Bristol City bible memories have come flooding back of the home matches at Ashton Gate in the late 70s against the blues. I remember attending at all these matches from what was called the Enclosure just in front of the then Grand Stand as we now know is the great Lansdown stand.

Season 76/77 and the exact same results for 77/78 the blues had the doble over us. At home we went down 1-0 nil at home and even worse away of which was 3-0.

Season 78/79 we drew 1-1 at home with a goal from Kevin Mabbutt and away we won 2-1 with Chris Garland scoring one of them with Meijer scoring one of the only two goals he ever scored with us during the short time he was with us.

Interesting the attendances at St Andrews and at Ashton Gate in these 1st division days were quite low and they averaged out at 22K respectively which will be similar too today.

I know this might be some boring info to some but I still look back to those 1st division days and I will never forget them. Some of you on this forum will also remember these great years of 1st division football at the gate but most will also be able to recall many others over the past seasons.

With the blues slipping of late we now have the opportunity of moving ahead of our 17th placed opponents.

COYRedsssssssssss today and a home win for us 2-1 is my prediction.

• Like 1

On 14/01/2023 at 07:03, City oz said:

Looking back at the Bristol City bible memories have come flooding back of the home matches at Ashton Gate in the late 70s against the blues. I remember attending at all these matches from what was called the Enclosure just in front of the then Grand Stand as we now know is the great Lansdown stand.

Season 76/77 and the exact same results for 77/78 the blues had the doble over us. At home we went down 1-0 nil at home and even worse away of which was 3-0.

Season 78/79 we drew 1-1 at home with a goal from Kevin Mabbutt and away we won 2-1 with Chris Garland scoring one of them with Meijer scoring one of the only two goals he ever scored with us during the short time he was with us.

Interesting the attendances at St Andrews and at Ashton Gate in these 1st division days were quite low and they averaged out at 22K respectively which will be similar too today.

I know this might be some boring info to some but I still look back to those 1st division days and I will never forget them. Some of you on this forum will also remember these great years of 1st division football at the gate but most will also be able to recall many others over the past seasons.

With the blues slipping of late we now have the opportunity of moving ahead of our 17th placed opponents.

I remember it well.

The other coming in the 5 goal demolition of Coventry.

On 14/01/2023 at 07:03, City oz said:

Geert Meijer ( Geerty from Amsterdam ) , that Birmingham 2-1 win and a goal on debut. I thought we had a Superstar on our hands. Hard to believe he only played 15 games for us.
In those days we didn't get any info from the Club, and I didn't realise what a mess the finances were in. I assumed we would be in (the old) Div 1 for years. Specilaly as the year before relegation we finished around 13th, I honestly thought the next year we had a chance of Europe. For context for the younger ones , 6 teams qualified for Europe then, 7 if one on the top 6 won the FA Cup. So we were about 8 points off our last but one year there.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hillzider said:

I might have the same programme in the attic somewhere. My parents sometimes checked out those nice sofas at Gardiner Haskins on the way to the game but I just wanted to get to the ground and feel the atmosphere.

Note the state of the pitch in the photos - ref the quagmire thread - and remember we had one of the best pitches around back then. At ground level you could see a lovely shallow dome shape to it, not sure if Desso pitches need that these days.