IGNORED

George Tanner

steviestevieneville

7 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

We’ve all had a moan about our right hand side . It’s been a problem for years. I fully agree with threads for cam & Zak , George deserves one as well . He was ******* mint today . Especially in a back 4 . He loves a tackle , never shirks one & got forward well  

Also allowed Sykes to play in his proper position for the first time, and get his first 2 goals with the club. Comes back to playing the best players for the position in that position and Tanner is clearly our best right back.

36 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

We’ve all had a moan about our right hand side . It’s been a problem for years. I fully agree with threads for cam & Zak , George deserves one as well . He was ******* mint today . Especially in a back 4 . He loves a tackle , never shirks one & got forward well  

Another good, low cost signing by NP/the club. Plenty of room for growth and versatile too although obviously a right back.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

It wasn't always a back 4 though, Naismith kept switching back and forth between making up a three at the back and a three in midfield. I really liked it and I think it was what gave us the edge today.

Agreed @Port Said Red - clearly a tactic that Nige wanted us to adopt throughout the game - we kept switching formations throughout 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

It wasn't always a back 4 though, Naismith kept switching back and forth between making up a three at the back and a three in midfield. I really liked it and I think it was what gave us the edge today.

That is a great strength of Naismith. I've been unsure about him as a CDM or similar but it will enable rapid in-game switches betwwwn a 4-3-3 and a 3-4-3/3-5-2.

My other caveat was, if Tanner is mainly an RB and Wilson an RWB does that make such switches more difficult.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I think that was more that KN was dropping deep to come and get the ball rather than changing position per se.

Glad someone started a thread on GT, I thought it was a fine performance against Jordan Graham, who is a decent left sided player. He just does the basics, covered in behind Vyner just in case Deeney or Jutkiewicz win a flick, cleared his lines well too.

Just his 8th start of the season (plus 3 subs), but he seems settled and confident.

• Like 9

32 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That is a great strength of Naismith. I've been unsure about him as a CDM or similar but it will enable rapid in-game switches betwwwn a 4-3-3 and a 3-4-3/3-5-2.

My other caveat was, if Tanner is mainly an RB and Wilson an RWB does that make such switches more difficult.

I think they are both young and both bright enough to learn and improve. A lot of growth left in both of them. Tanner will always be more defensively sound than Wilson but Wilson will give us more of an attacking option. I hope Wilson manages to end the season fit and at least pushing Tanner. 

5 minutes ago, SBB said:

I think they are both young and both bright enough to learn and improve. A lot of growth left in both of them. Tanner will always be more defensively sound than Wilson but Wilson will give us more of an attacking option. I hope Wilson manages to end the season fit and at least pushing Tanner. 

Agreed. Those two pushing each other is a nice problem to have- both young, obviously talented albeit with different strengths, both as you say have room for growth. Just a q as to in-game...if we go 3-5-2 will Wilson in-game be able to switch to RB and likewise will Tanner adapt to RWB if we start with a back 4 and Naismith enables switches between the two but it is as I say a nice problem to have.

• Like 1

You can see his technical ability from developing at Man Utd, never afraid to try and play on the front foot. He doesn’t have the physicality of Cam Pring per say, but for technicality and aggression I would say he is one of the best, if not the best. out of all the defenders in the squad.

I think the full back position fits him best, then right centre back and lastly wing back. Although I think he has that technical ability, anticipation and aggression to fill in anywhere amongst the back 5 defensive positions (including CDM).

Edited by marcofisher

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed. Those two pushing each other is a nice problem to have- both young, obviously talented albeit with different strengths, both as you say have room for growth. Just a q as to in-game...if we go 3-5-2 will Wilson in-game be able to switch to RB and likewise will Tanner adapt to RWB if we start with a back 4 and Naismith enables switches between the two but it is as I say a nice problem to have.

If that is how NP wants to play, that’s the challenge for them. Pring seems to be getting the balance just right, on the the other side so hopefully Tanner and Wilson will both become well rounded too.

I’m a big fan of Tanner. As others have said, you can see the education he’s had at Man Utd and I suspect his ceiling is fairly high.

I’m also a fan of Wilson and think it’s realistic to think Wilson will improve physically in the same way Tanner did while he was out injured last season. 

We should have two very capable options for RB/RWB in the near future, which is great considering the lack of decent players we’ve had in those positions down the years. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

He was fantastic. Looked composed and comfortable at RB, a really solid performance. 

13 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I do rate Tanner's aggression and tenacity. Not brilliant going forward and on the ball but that's ok as long as he can defend ok. He's like an old fashioned Right back

Disagree about him not being brilliant on the ball. I think he is superb on the ball. Always looks calm and composed and rarely gives it away. His balls over the top are usually weighted well and when he played RCB he played some superb through balls (Weimann pass vs Sheff Utd one example I seem to recall).

He just needs to commit more with his runs down the wing and take players on occasionally. I think that will come though because he’s shown it in glimpses.

1 hour ago, Kolsch said:

Disagree about him not being brilliant on the ball. I think he is superb on the ball. Always looks calm and composed and rarely gives it away. His balls over the top are usually weighted well and when he played RCB he played some superb through balls (Weimann pass vs Sheff Utd one example I seem to recall).

He just needs to commit more with his runs down the wing and take players on occasionally. I think that will come though because he’s shown it in glimpses.

Definitely. He’s still young so plenty of time to develop.