IGNORED

Sykes at RW

OliOTIB

1 hour ago, steveybadger said:

See I think after yesterday Sykes has to play there - we had so much more cutting edge I thought. So yes behind the striker but which of the midfield 3 do you leave out? If Scott goes it’s less of a problem but until then…

I think Weimann probably stronger. It was two easy finishes, all the hard work and creativity came from our left hand side.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

If it wasn’t for the 2 goals he’d have probably ranked as a 6/10 for me. 
Countless times he failed to deliver when in a good crossing position. Including one where he just passed it out of play! I may be wrong but I also think it was his poor decision which lead to their penalty, where I think he made a sloppy error which then resulted in their attack. 
I swear he probably looks really good in training, where they use dummies or manikins - he probably delivers an amazing cross. Problem is, when you’re up against an actual opponent, the defender has the ability to move a little bit and maybe even stick out a leg to block a cross. Sykes simply doesn’t work himself the extra half yard of space to whip the cross beyond the full back. 
2 goals - brilliant. And well done. 
Workrate - very good. Keep it up. 
Quality on the ball and delivery of cross - very poor. 
Sorry. 

I thought he had some bright moments early, that gave him confidence.

Their opener was a heavy touch from James trying to intercept, then a series of powder puff challenges from James and Naismith.

Just sent you the clip on email / WhatsApp 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Countless times he failed to deliver when in a good crossing position. Including one where he just passed it out of play! I may be wrong but I also think it was his poor decision which lead to their penalty, where I think he made a sloppy error which then resulted in their attack. 
I swear he probably looks really good in training, where they use dummies or manikins - he probably delivers an amazing cross. Problem is, when you’re up against an actual opponent, the defender has the ability to move a little bit and maybe even stick out a leg to block a cross. Sykes simply doesn’t work himself the extra half yard of space to whip the cross beyond the full back. 
Sorry. 

Well done! You managed to get a negative post in there somehow!!!

Must have been a disappointing day for you, not really an opportunity for you to post your usual anti Pearson crap.

Can't you seriously just enjoy a really good performance and result?

25 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Well done! You managed to get a negative post in there somehow!!!

Must have been a disappointing day for you, not really an opportunity for you to post your usual anti Pearson crap.

Can't you seriously just enjoy a really good performance and result?

Weird. 

It’s a thread about a specific player and many other replies on here have suggested that aside from the 2 goals he was average at best. But you decide to single out mine. 

Fair enough. But look at what I said. I said his work rate is good. I said he hit 2 goals. Both positives. 
My critique of him is that his crossing is substandard. Go and watch it again if you need to, but you’ll have trouble finding me a single good cross. 

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I thought he had some bright moments early, that gave him confidence.

Their opener was a heavy touch from James trying to intercept, then a series of powder puff challenges from James and Naismith.

Just sent you the clip on email / WhatsApp 

Correct. Very weak from the 2 CM’s. 
The clip you sent me. What happened in the 5 seconds just before it. My memory of it was the Sykes made a poor decision. But I can’t 100% recall. Do you have the previous 5-10 seconds from that clip, prior to the weak midfield challenges. 

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Sorry. 

@Harry just said exactly the same on the new FBC podcast.

I'm really happy for both Sykes on his goals, and Tanner getting regular gametime, but lets be honest, the current quality of our left side is demonstrating the weakness of our right.

The link up play between both Tanner (who gets a nose bleed past half way at times), and Sykes wasn't great, and they both switched off at times defensively allowing Graham to get behind us in both halves. 

As NP said in his interview after the game; the gap between L1 and the Championship is a lot bigger than people imagine.

Whilst i'm hopeful that Wilson when he comes back will give us attacking intent, he is of course not the best defensively; and was bought as a RWB rather than RB.

Defensively as a RB, Tanner is solid with room for improvement of course. You only have to look at the transformation of Vyner this season, as well as PrIng of course to see that when things finally start to click, we may well have a decent player there.

For me at the moment though, that area of the pitch still causes me concerns.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Harry said:

The clip you sent me. What happened in the 5 seconds just before it. My memory of it was the Sykes made a poor decision. But I can’t 100% recall. Do you have the previous 5-10 seconds from that clip, prior to the weak midfield challenges. 

Was awful from the Dolman, weak and non comitted challenges from both of them. Very disappointing in the context of a fairly decent first half.

Naismith also has an annoying habit of misplaced passing whilst under no pressure. It didn't cost us yesterday thankfully, and now he is front of the back two CB, hopefully it won't be as terminal as some of his earlier mistakes, it's just a lack of concentration. 

We still look a better team with him in it of course.

38 minutes ago, Harry said:

Weird. 

It’s a thread about a specific player and many other replies on here have suggested that aside from the 2 goals he was average at best. But you decide to single out mine. 

Fair enough. But look at what I said. I said his work rate is good. I said he hit 2 goals. Both positives. 
My critique of him is that his crossing is substandard. Go and watch it again if you need to, but you’ll have trouble finding me a single good cross. 

Not weird at all, you understand the point I'm making I'm sure.

Normally you critique the manager. Negatively most of the time. Not one comment today. Now I've not read every thread so I will apologise now if you have.

By the way, what did you think of the manager today? 

Were you happy with the team? Result?

Just asking for a friend...

It’s a game of opinions I suppose. But personally didn’t think he had that good a game, don’t think he was bad, but not quite rewarding of some of the plaudits he has got on here. He works hard & don’t underestimate those tap ins at the far post, many players would still be stood on the edge of the box watching. But for me, he doesn’t go by anyone, lacks strength & his crossing is suspect, gave them ball away at crucial times as well. I actually think when I watch him, that he lacks confidence as well. Hopefully those two goals will give him that. I do think he has the ability to improve though. So just like I don’t jump on the band wagon when someone has a poor game, I won’t be overreacting on yesterday’s performance from him, because he scored two goals. COYR 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, glynriley said:

You’ve hit the post mate. Foxton sang it as well. 

Ah, bollax to you. Not fair ???

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Sorry, I don’t.  Just tried looking at all Sykes’s action, but not all are clipped.

Would just like to see another game or two of him in the same position to make any opinions on him really. If Weimann came back in and we kept 433 then Weimann would have to take one of the midfield spots really. We could put him out on the right but I think we've had that debate already a year or so ago?

I think Sykes makes sense in the RW position, I think he simply has too much to do when he plays RWB and isn't quite up to it at this level; it's such a tough position these days.

If we do keep a 433 then who are out players at RW? I feel we have a lot of players who could play there, but not their natural position. 

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Naismith takes a touch and is robbed by the guy chasing back.

2:05 in

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Found it, sent over to you.  Defender deflects his pass.

Thanks Dave. 

12 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Naismith takes a touch and is robbed by the guy chasing back.

2:05 in

Yeah, it’s the period just before this, about 10 seconds prior. 
A quick free kick is taken releasing Sykes down the line. Defender tracks him and Sykes turns back. Another defender comes across too and Sykes attempts a near impossible pass between the 2 defenders and we lose it. It’s from there that the highlights in your post begin. And yes, it’s rubbish tackling thereafter.

I guess my point was generally about Sykes’ final ball. His crossing, 9 times out of 10 is just hit straight at the defender. No attempt to gain half a yard, no attempt to whip it around the defender. He just hits it straight at them! As I said earlier, he doesn’t find that half yard and instead attempts to play the ball through a human being!! An impossibility. And that’s exactly what happened on the incident I’m referring to for their goal. 

I realise that to some this may sound harsh, but if I was his boss yesterday I’d have been frustrated as **** with him. He’s just not delivered a single ball. 

But he got 2 goals, so I’m absolutely chuffed for him and delighted with the result. But he’s just not impressed me, sorry. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

Not weird at all, you understand the point I'm making I'm sure.

Normally you critique the manager. Negatively most of the time. Not one comment today. Now I've not read every thread so I will apologise now if you have.

By the way, what did you think of the manager today? 

Were you happy with the team? Result?

Just asking for a friend...

Yep. I was very happy with how Pearson set us up yesterday. And I was also very happy with how the game was managed. 
Was chatting to friends at half time about how we thought we might approach the 2nd half after their goal and I was delighted that we didn’t try to sit back and play counter, but that we went for the throat. 
Overall, I was very happy with how Pearson managed the game from start to finish. 

You are correct of course that I’m not his biggest fan, but I can still see when something is good. And yesterday was good. 

I’d also add that I’ve not once called for Pearson’s head. I’ve been critical, but I’ve not called for him to leave. 
I’m actually very solidly of the opinion that he should see this season out. 
I actually think we just about have enough to stay up and performances like yesterday fill me with the confidence that we will. But there have been many other performances this season where I’ve really worried if he could keep us up. 

More of yesterday and we’ll be fine. But for me, I actually want Pearson to complete this season, and we’ll judge him after the full 46 games. But that won’t stop me making what I feel is justified criticism in the meantime. If I see something I don’t like I’ll say it. And that doesn’t make me negative, it’s just what I see and what concerns me. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Harry said:

But he got 2 goals, so I’m absolutely chuffed for him and delighted with the result. But he’s just not impressed me, sorry

I thought yesterday he was steady, fairly solid and did a job. I thought he became more effective later (even without the goals).
He was very good the first few games, from memory his delivery was excellent. His performances had dropped off and he only got back in through necessity . If we had options he would have had more time to settle into the step up. 
I need to see a couple more games with him in that more forward role, but I'm happy to give him time on the early season showing.

First game of the season in that position and he scores 2 goals.

That'll do for me.

Intelligent footballer, he must be to play so many different positions.

His crossing may be a bit hit and miss (probably better than others in the squad, probably not as good as some), but his all round play is very good and given it was his first game in the position for us and he got 2 goals, I think he was an 8/10 yesterday - along with 3 or 4 others.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Yep. I was very happy with how Pearson set us up yesterday. And I was also very happy with how the game was managed. 
Was chatting to friends at half time about how we thought we might approach the 2nd half after their goal and I was delighted that we didn’t try to sit back and play counter, but that we went for the throat. 
Overall, I was very happy with how Pearson managed the game from start to finish. 

You are correct of course that I’m not his biggest fan, but I can still see when something is good. And yesterday was good. 

I’d also add that I’ve not once called for Pearson’s head. I’ve been critical, but I’ve not called for him to leave. 
I’m actually very solidly of the opinion that he should see this season out. 
I actually think we just about have enough to stay up and performances like yesterday fill me with the confidence that we will. But there have been many other performances this season where I’ve really worried if he could keep us up. 

More of yesterday and we’ll be fine. But for me, I actually want Pearson to complete this season, and we’ll judge him after the full 46 games. But that won’t stop me making what I feel is justified criticism in the meantime. If I see something I don’t like I’ll say it. And that doesn’t make me negative, it’s just what I see and what concerns me. 

Thank you, a very fair post that helps me understand exactly where you are coming from.

I'll try to be more reasonable in future.

Honest......

• Like 1

On 15/01/2023 at 15:58, marcofisher said:

I think Weimann probably stronger. It was two easy finishes, all the hard work and creativity came from our left hand side.

There's no probably about it is there? There are maybe 3 games before Weimann is available if you believe what we've been told.   He might keep him out when Weimann's back because he's done well but I rather suspect that Weimann will come back into the side. Happy to eat my words if Sykes kicks on and backs up Saturday...

45 minutes ago, The Bard said:

There's no probably about it is there? There are maybe 3 games before Weimann is available if you believe what we've been told.   He might keep him out when Weimann's back because he's done well but I rather suspect that Weimann will come back into the side. Happy to eat my words if Sykes kicks on and backs up Saturday...

Weimann is not a right winger is my point, all his best performances for us have been down the middle.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Weimann is not a right winger is my point, all his best performances for us have been down the middle.

Austrian coach thinks he's a left winger! 

We all know he can play in a variety of roles.  He became well known playing on the right for Villa in a 3 with Benteke and Agbonlahor...