IGNORED

Zak Vyner- next Bristol City captain

TommyD68

2 hours ago, Bodiesaffer said:

Most on here said he’s a bag of shite….

Most on here talk shite. 

1 hour ago, Not Banksy said:

Completely proved me wrong.. thought he was useless! 

I always thought he was ok, but never had a real run. The kid became the target of the usual boo boy, who we gonna blame culture that we have always had. 

Pearson and his mates have turned him into a proper player. Nice to see. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, LondonRobin said:

Yep was class tonight constantly talking and helping tanner and O’Leary, can’t think of one mistake he made and played some incisive balls forward which he has been accused of not doing at times this season. If he carries on like this future club captain for sure

Apart from almost scoring an own goal with a sliced clearance that is ???

6 hours ago, phantom said:

Nearly scored a cracking og in the first half 

Brilliant effort for a goal! 

Play him up front and he'll probably get 30 goals per season.

Seriously, I first saw Vyner, Kelly and O'Leary playing in under 23's in a pre-season friendly at Taunton and all three have now made it at Championship level and above in one case.

Never give up must be their motto.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He’s naturally quite shy so I’m not sure if he’d be captain material, but great to see him progressing. 

I never really thought much of him and would have been happy to see him sold last summer so I’m delighted to have been proven wrong.

Whilst I was never particularly scathing of Zak, I expected him to be gone last summer and wouldn't have been particularly bothered if he had indeed moved on.

However, he has gone on to prove all of his detractors wrong, the moans around AG every time he touches the ball have slowly diminished over the season to the point where he must be one of the first names in now.

I also think his captaincy credentials were shown to great effect earlier this season when he was the senior member of a defensive line for a couple of matches and marshalled it very well indeed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TommyD68 said:

Give him a new contract and the armband for next season. Most consistent player this season, leader at the back, came through the academy and always gives 110%.

I was only thinking the same myself the other day. 
He’s had a steep and difficult learning curve under Nige but he’s dealt with it (and considering the grief he got from some fans, a bit deservedly so because we wanted him to do well) in a very mature way. 
If Kalas is off, he’ll be the rock in our defence for quite a while I think, unless someone comes in with a totally unexpected but cheeky offer…no idea what his contract situation is. 

I wonder with Zak whether the likelihood of going in the summer was the kick up the arse needed.

Nige has made comments recently about players being given too many loans and having the comfort of knowing they’d have a contract back here, and therefore not kicking on. Zak is a bit too old for that but had grown up in that system/mentality with his loans to Plymouth, Rotherham and Aberdeen with varying success. The mentality change may be linked to the wider culture change going on. And if you’re his age and you know the academy kids are snapping at you at 19/20 and not 25/26 it focuses the mind.

As for captaincy, not sure. I think it was the Swansea league game he played in a three with Pring and Tanner and it was the first time he was notably vocal in the first team - as it was the first time he was “senior pro” as against Kalas/Naismith/King/Others being back there. He did the organising well, and played in a different way. The challenge for me would be whether he can be that vocal when he’s a more “junior” partner. My gut is that giving him captaincy is a bridge too far currently - he’s playing very well, it’s not the time to complicate matters.

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He’s naturally quite shy so I’m not sure if he’d be captain material, but great to see him progressing. 

I never really thought much of him and would have been happy to see him sold last summer so I’m delighted to have been proven wrong.

Yeah I kind of agree, I think he's done brilliantly this season (and far better than I ever expected) but I'm not sure if he'd suit being a captain, at least at the moment.

We've seen before when players are made captain just because they're senior, or playing well, and it's not always a positive thing for them.

He proved my doubts wrong a long time ago. I think he is a confidence player and no surprise to me that given a run in the same position and with the same teams mates he has shone. Still has a mistake in him as does everyone of them, but I think he can become even better as experience helps his confidence.

1 hour ago, Chessels Chick said:

Apart from almost scoring an own goal with a sliced clearance that is ???

Just a brilliantly disguised back pass :liar:

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

As for captaincy, not sure. I think it was the Swansea league game he played in a three with Pring and Tanner and it was the first time he was notably vocal in the first team - as it was the first time he was “senior pro” as against Kalas/Naismith/King/Others being back there. He did the organising well, and played in a different way. The challenge for me would be whether he can be that vocal when he’s a more “junior” partner. My gut is that giving him captaincy is a bridge too far currently - he’s playing very well, it’s not the time to complicate matters.

I wasn't suggesting he be made.captain now, just saying that he has shown he has the credentials to be captain at some point in the future.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

A mate who went to the game said he was a rock tonight.

Can confirm.  He was absolutely fantastic last night.   What’s impressed me most this year is alongside his massive improvement playing wise is that his leading of the back line has been superb.  He’s taken control and is a real talker, even when things have gone south a bit. Love him and what a turn around for his career. Just proves some people take longer to develop but was worth the wait.   

• Like 1

I actually felt he was one of the only players to come out of the Holden season with any credit. Then last season he had a total mare, and it looked for all certainty that the writing was on the wall for Zak. Fair play to him this season, had an excellent pre-season and has deserved his place as an ever-present in our defence. Definitely the most consistent player in the team this season.

• Like 2