IGNORED

Zak Vyner- next Bristol City captain

TommyD68

10 hours ago, TommyD68 said:

Give him a new contract and the armband for next season. Most consistent player this season, leader at the back, came through the academy and always gives 110%.

He's doing very well but if he could give 115% he'd be doing even better.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, lenred said:

Can confirm.  He was absolutely fantastic last night.   What’s impressed me most this year is alongside his massive improvement playing wise is that his leading of the back line has been superb.  He’s taken control and is a real talker, even when things have gone south a bit. Love him and what a turn around for his career. Just proves some people take longer to develop but was worth the wait.   

I’m no expert but I think the unsettled team and others not fulfilling their roles sufficiently played the biggest part of his poor run of games. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I do wonder how Vyner’s development impacts the situation with Kalas. Along with wages and injury record, it has to be raising further questions as to if we offer TK a new contract.

I would be amazed if we offer Kalas a new contract anyway. I think we will be worlds apart in terms of wage, and I don't think he'd sign a deal on less that 40% of what he is on now.

Edited by marcofisher

1 minute ago, marcofisher said:

I would be amazed if we offer Kalas a new contract anyway. I think we will be worlds apart in terms of wage, and I don't think he'd sign a deal on less that 40% of what he is on now.

The only thing I think that might persuade him to sign a deal (on a much lower wage) is that he has a local girlfriend (from LA).  I assume they are still together?

Just now, Davefevs said:

The only thing I think that might persuade him to sign a deal (on a much lower wage) is that he has a local girlfriend (from LA).  I assume they are still together?

I don't follow keeping up with the Kalases, but I am sure he is aware that he has one last big contract, and can probably get a fair deal in Europe too.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bodiesaffer said:

Most on here said he’s a bag of shite….

He was out of form. The Kalas injury, Baker retirement and Klose impending departure, gave him more chance to become settled in a position and, like many players, the more he played, the more he recovered his early promise.  Also, now in his mid-20s, some of the naivety that marked him out in his earlier appearances will have been overcome. He's got savvier and more confident. I think he prefers O'Leary behind him as well.  106 appearances for us in, he's taken his chance with aplomb. Well done, Zak!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I’m no expert but I think the unsettled team and others not fulfilling their roles sufficiently played the biggest part of his poor run of games. 

I think his run of games - undoubtedly due to injuries - has meant he has been able to find his form and through that he’s become more vocal and now seems a real leader at the back.  By hook or by crook we’ve found ourselves a gem. 

• Like 1

I think the biggest difference is the improvement in concentration that has come with a consistent run of games. There doesn't seem to be the inevitable dip when playing at centre half that we had previously become accustomed too. He is also hitting his better years for a centre half, so fair play to Zak for taking his chance. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think it was the Swansea league game he played in a three with Pring and Tanner and it was the first time he was notably vocal in the first team - as it was the first time he was “senior pro” as against Kalas/Naismith/King/Others being back there.

@sinenomineand I were saying on Saturday about that match being his Louis Carey moment when he really came of age.  Carey's came with an injury to Shaun Taylor forcing him to take the lead.

Decision making and focus was always Zaks biggest downfall and he had at least 1 or more errors in him every game; many times costly.  He's sorted that this season and fair play to him.  He was so far off the bus the bus was just a dot in the distance. Injuries forced us to play him and that proved to be a defining moment for his career.

Very, very impressed this season and fair play to him for turning it around.  Unfortunately many fans are stubborn in their view. They have made their minds up about him and won't be turned on it. It's notable that a mistake from Zak is still more audibly reacted to by the crowd than many other players, which is very unfair.  

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

11 hours ago, Bodiesaffer said:

Most on here said he’s a bag of shite….

Hardly surprising that we doubted Vyner's ability when he was making critical mistakes on a recurring basis. 

For me, Vyner is on course to be my Player of the Season.

There's nothing stopping him becoming a long term fan favourite. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lenred said:

What would he need to do to convince you? 

Not rush out like an over excited school boy as he did against Brum. Luckily we were 4-1 up at the time.

This all reminds me of Taylor Moore a few years ago, a good half of a season and he is the messiah. He has improved and deserves credit but he has a track record of these mistakes and I’m not getting ahead of myself like some on here.

He's been berated by many several times. Sometimes understandably,

But got to give Zak due praise. He didn't buckle when under intense criticism. He just focused on what was required of him and got on with things.

Pleased to see him doing well. No doubt that Pearson and the coaching staff deserve some credit for his improvement too.

Not sure about the captaincy. I fear the added responsibility might cause him to regress.

With our exaggerated abundance of talented youth it is sometimes easy to forget that players aren’t traditionally supposed to come into their ‘prime years’ until about exactly the age Zak Vyner is now. For me that’s what has happened here, a player who has grown into himself through experience. Patience is a virtue sometimes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

With our exaggerated abundance of talented youth it is sometimes easy to forget that players aren’t traditionally supposed to come into their ‘prime years’ until about exactly the age Zak Vyner is now. For me that’s what has happened here, a player who has grown into himself through experience. Patience is a virtue sometimes. 

Yep he turns 26 in May. So the next three seasons 23/24, 24/25 and 25/26 are his prime years of 26-29. 

4 hours ago, Vidal said:

Not rush out like an over excited school boy as he did against Brum. Luckily we were 4-1 up at the time.

This all reminds me of Taylor Moore a few years ago, a good half of a season and he is the messiah. He has improved and deserves credit but he has a track record of these mistakes and I’m not getting ahead of myself like some on here.

He’s performed consistently now.  Moore has never done that for us imho and it doesn’t sound like he is doing it at his loans either. He looked decent in very very short bursts, especially at the start but never pushed on. Vyner is a much better player imho. Who knows, TM may also become a lot better over time but given they are practically the same age to the day, TM will have to produce quickly and it won’t be here.   Credit to Vyner for battling through against the competition.   

The switch to a back 4 will suit him much better.

Allows him to do his job and defend.

The 3-5-2 / 5-3-2 / 5-2-1-2 didn’t give him any protection when the right-wing back progressed forward, or was beaten by the opponent.

The back 4 allows for a solid defence that hold their line, bar Pring who is allowed to venture forward. But Naismith would drop into cover when Pring advances.

Tanner offers stability. Something that Vyner will thrive off. It allows him to be a ball-winner, and have options closer to him when looking for a pass.

Too often previously, he won the ball and was forced into attempting long-range passes, which isn’t his strength. 

Credit to him, he has got better and better as the season progresses. He’s taken his chance and deserves the praise he is getting.

I wasn’t convinced at all early on this season, but he has impressed me since. It’s great to see him and Pring become regulars.