IGNORED

Joe Williams

Sir Geoff

40 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Looked good off the bench recently. Obviously still question marks on his fitness and durability and I can't remember a more one footed central midfielder in my time watching football.

There's a player there. A proper one. Just got to keep him fit and motivated. 

Erm, Tinman. Literally had a right leg just for standing on. ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Looked good off the bench recently. Obviously still question marks on his fitness and durability and I can't remember a more one footed central midfielder in my time watching football.

There's a player there. A proper one. Just got to keep him fit and motivated. 

Oh, I don't know.....Tins moved central in his advancing years.....  Now that right peg was only ever used for standing on.

1 minute ago, nickolas said:

Erm, Tinman. Literally had a right leg just for standing on. ?

Great minds! ?

Edited by Steve Watts
Merged when quoting!

7 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

I'm talking about even controlling the ball with his back foot when receiving from the right, it's something I drummed into 8 year old's and it infuriates me when I watch him. Its not minor either, as when play goes through him it takes an extra touch and extra second for him to move around the ball and continue the process of rotating the ball across the midfield which allows the defenders time to recover/respond and block the next pass. 

I'm not asking him to have the passing range of Paul Scholes with both feet, just control the ball with the correct foot and play a second faster.

The one thing our under 11's captain lacked was the confidence to use his left peg.  I kept on at him for ages about using it and the penny finally dropped when he scored a daisycutter with it from just outside the area.  Adds another dimension to his game and like you say it allows the ball to be moved out a lot quicker.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

The one thing our under 11's captain lacked was the confidence to use his left peg.  I kept on at him for ages about using it and the penny finally dropped when he scored a daisycutter with it from just outside the area.  Adds another dimension to his game and like you say it allows the ball to be moved out a lot quicker.

Job for Watts?

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Made a huge difference when he came on last night. More like the Joe Williams we all hoped to see. Shame he didn't pass to Sam Bell instead of trying to chip the keeper, but otherwise an excellent  display.

Looked really good when he came on last Saturday as well. I particularly liked it when he came from nowhere at speed to win a tackle - he looked really sharp.

17 hours ago, Super said:

Best used as a sub not sure he has the fitness to play 90 mins these days.

I have been told that he feels he is the fittest he has been in his career, the programme our medical team put him on has been instrumental in that. He is apparently fuming that he isn't starting games, which made me wonder if it's part of Pearson's plan, because he seems to be taking it out on opponents with some of his tackles lately. :)

• Like 1

On 18/01/2023 at 14:18, TonyTonyTony said:

His fitness is such that i dont think you will ever see consistency from him. He can't play 2 games in a week, so he will forever be in and out of the side. 

When he is on it, he is very good though. 

Strange he can’t condition his body to play two games a week , maybe it won’t let him .  

The Williams I saw play for Bolton then Wigan was a proper central midfielder. He could even take quality corners, too.  I don’t think he’s the same player now after all the injuries. He can still do a job, just not as effectively IMO. Courtesy of Andy Rolls and Dean Holden. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, mightyreds89 said:

Ok, was confused by the part when you said despite his goals? He has 2 I think read it as though his goals meant he’d had a scoring spree that I’d missed ?

This is a spree for him…never got more than 1 per season before.

2 hours ago, tin said:

The Williams I saw play for Bolton then Wigan was a proper central midfielder. He could even take quality corners, too.  I don’t think he’s the same player now after all the injuries. He can still do a job, just not as effectively IMO. Courtesy of Andy Rolls and Dean Holden. 

Yep!

• Like 1
  • Flames 1