IGNORED

Joe Williams

Sir Geoff

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

This is a spree for him…never got more than 1 per season before.

Yep!

I do like the fact that he is very vocal when he comes on . Lots of player positional shouts going on. I do feel he is not the same player he was, due to fitness . Which is a real pity. Top midfielder at Wigan. But he does do a good job from the bench. Or is his fitness still a work in progress ?

Williams may well get more gametime with us playing 4 3 3. Firstly purely due to numbers but it suits him far better.

Anyone thinking he's better than James needs to get off the crack though. James is the new Dave Rennie clearly. Underappreciated by a lot of supporters but not his team mates and manager.

I also think later in a game suits William's. His all action style is do able for 25 minutes and with games more stretched. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I thought we should have brought him on post the red card. Naismith and James were working fine, but Blackburn sat deep and we needed the extra speed/energy/impetus. 

I wondered about whether we could have simply freshened it up, both James & Naismith (who were both excellent today) played over 100 minutes at Swansea & we were up against a side that had no game in midweek, thought he was worth the last 10 to try something different.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I wondered about whether we could have simply freshened it up, both James & Naismith (who were both excellent today) played over 100 minutes at Swansea & we were up against a side that had no game in midweek, thought he was worth the last 10 to try something different.

Yeah that’s kind of my thinking. Kal for me lost the runner on their goal but was generally good and Matty was the usual - decent, metronomic. I just felt when they went to 10 all those ten sat very deep and Kal/Matty naturally play quite slow. Joe isn’t as good or consistent a passer but is a disruptor and I felt we needed that in view of how they set up

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

Like Pack and Skuse before him, midfielders who we desperately miss when they're not there, but get zero credit whilst they are.

9 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Add Khalifa Cisse to that list.

Or even, dare I say it, a certain Lee Johnson.

And, of course, as I believe was already mentioned here, Dave Rennie, who deserves an extra mention for his moustache.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

I wondered if when it gets to that stage, Rennie might say “it’s not worth him getting stretched, warm, etc”???

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I wondered if when it gets to that stage, Rennie might say “it’s not worth him getting stretched, warm, etc”???

Maybe, but he seems to have made a decent impact as a sub in recent games & so I thought it was worth a try.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I thought we should have brought him on post the red card. Naismith and James were working fine, but Blackburn sat deep and we needed the extra speed/energy/impetus. 

Interesting one. From Nige's perspective with 20 mins ish left we still had to not concede on the break, which trading Williams for James/Naismith increases the risk of, particularly where both were having great games and bossing the midfield. 

In a way the "plan" did work, as Naismith produced the killer pass.. Unfortunately Bell was marginally off (allegedly).

Maybe I'm too conservative but I thought it wasn't the right scenario for Williams.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, georgebcfc said:

Interesting one. From Nige's perspective with 20 mins ish left we still had to not concede on the break, which trading Williams for James/Naismith increases the risk of, particularly where both were having great games and bossing the midfield. 

In a way the "plan" did work, as Naismith produced the killer pass.. Unfortunately Bell was marginally off (allegedly).

Maybe I'm too conservative but I thought it wasn't the right scenario for Williams.

I agree, we were in the ascendency and I think the axis between Naismith and James was a big part of that. I think Nigel didn't want to upset the momentum too much.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, georgebcfc said:

I agree too.  Think we need to give Blackburn’s defenders a lot of credit for playing as well as they did.  Nor did they resort to cynical cheating / time-wasting, at least not to the blatant degree other teams do.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I agree too.  Think we need to give Blackburn’s defenders a lot of credit for playing as well as they did.  Nor did they resort to cynical cheating / time-wasting, at least not to the blatant degree other teams do.

I thought they were very well organised and their full backs in particular looked very good.

Rankin-Costello also sounds like a Ska version of my favourite music artist. ?

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I thought they were very well organised and their full backs in particular looked very good.

Rankin-Costello also sounds like a Ska version of my favourite music artist. ?

Rankin-Costello was aptly named. He couldn't stand up for falling down, whenever he lost the ball.

Thought both he, Morton and Hedges were unpleasant whinging cheats to be honest.

Blackburn were a fairly average, but quite cynical, side. It amused me what crybabies they were when Scott began to take tumbles as easily as their players did. 

I'll be pleased when they fail to go up, to be honest. 

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Rankin-Costello was aptly named. He couldn't stand up for falling down, whenever he lost the ball.

Thought both he, Morton and Hedges were unpleasant whinging cheats to be honest.

Blackburn were a fairly average, but quite cynical, side. It amused me what crybabies they were when Scott began to take tumbles as easily as their players did. 

I'll be pleased when they fail to go up, to be honest. 

Hedges was the worst of the lot for me. Kept going down, moaning etc

• Like 1