IGNORED

Southampton academy/ louis Carey involvement

Will Rollason

If I was a teenager and offered terms by City or Southampton I'd definitely pick City with our current pathway from the academy into the first team. If you'd asked the same question 10 years ago I would have picked Southampton before the question had even been finished. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

Lansdown and Carey fell out when after the 2004 play off final, they offered Carey a smaller contract. He was furious, claiming he was a loyal servant of the club who deserved better, and doubly furious when new players, who had done nothing for the club, were coming in on more. He said his bit, went to Coventry, and then they had to offer him a rise anyway to get him back. So he is not one of Steve's favourites like Tinnion, Murray, Millen, Johnson, Holden, which is why he has never been offered a job here. Carey explained this on a Stanley podcast, I think. He still sounded furious about it!!!

• Like 1

Louis got promoted just before Christmas. He’s basically now the Head of transition for u18/23s players that begin training with the first team, so aids their comfort in making the step up. Is based at the first team base now, so commuting from Bristol to Southampton every day…

We’ve still a way to reach their levels of player treatment, IMHO. Any youth player who signs for them is made mascot for the first first team home game thereafter, family put in a box for it, etc etc. Many official scouting and coaching CPD training is hosted by them these days too.

They are an incredible club and so well run, albeit seem to have ran their course this season & loads of senior people have left as a result. 

That said, generally speaking we haven’t lost many players to them in recent years through of scouting or otherwise. Will Armitage (Portishead lad) got passed on by us, ended at Cheltenham then signed by Saints for £200k last year. Alfie Jones (Long Ashton), went straight to Saints now  without being looked at by us, playing every week for Hull which massively grinds my gears but can’t win ‘em all. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I expect to get some pushback, BUT, I've never really warmed to Carey (as a person, I mean ). I don't know why......I don't know him per say, but he just comes across as a bit edgy ,to me.

I think probably what it is , when he said years ago that he would support Liverpool over City if he wasn't employed by the club. Maybe it's me being a bit touchy , but you can't help who you actually like and feel an affinity towards  .

• Like 11

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Louis got promoted just before Christmas. He’s basically now the Head of transition for u18/23s players that begin training with the first team, so aids their comfort in making the step up. Is based at the first team base now, so commuting from Bristol to Southampton every day…

We’ve still a way to reach their levels of player treatment, IMHO. Any youth player who signs for them is made mascot for the first first team home game thereafter, family put in a box for it, etc etc. Many official scouting and coaching CPD training is hosted by them these days too.

They are an incredible club and so well run, albeit seem to have ran their course this season & loads of senior people have left as a result. 

That said, generally speaking we haven’t lost many players to them in recent years through of scouting or otherwise. Will Armitage (Portishead lad) got passed on by us, ended at Cheltenham then signed by Saints for £200k last year. Alfie Jones (Long Ashton), went straight to Saints now  without being looked at by us, playing every week for Hull which massively grinds my gears but can’t win ‘em all. 

I had no idea Jones was a Bristol lad.

53 minutes ago, BCFC Rich said:

Worth also noting Alex Scott did the opposite of Armitage. Having been in their academy and being released before coming here. 

As were Acey and Backwell too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boston Red said:

Lansdown and Carey fell out when after the 2004 play off final, they offered Carey a smaller contract. He was furious, claiming he was a loyal servant of the club who deserved better, and doubly furious when new players, who had done nothing for the club, were coming in on more. He said his bit, went to Coventry, and then they had to offer him a rise anyway to get him back. So he is not one of Steve's favourites like Tinnion, Murray, Millen, Johnson, Holden, which is why he has never been offered a job here. Carey explained this on a Stanley podcast, I think. He still sounded furious about it!!!

A particular bugbear of mine, but all the more infuriating when, due to numerous last minute substitute appearances, he became the holder of City's record appearances.

I understand that the two Steves, Lansdown and Cotterill, were not the best of pals either, but I am sure that this had no bearing on John Atyeo's record being usurped.  

53 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I expect to get some pushback, BUT, I've never really warmed to Carey (as a person, I mean ). I don't know why......I don't know him per say, but he just comes across as a bit edgy ,to me.

I think probably what it is , when he said years ago that he would support Liverpool over City if he wasn't employed by the club. Maybe it's me being a bit touchy , but you can't help who you actually like and feel an affinity towards  .

I have heard various comments from LC that leave me less than warm to him, and as for his insistence on wearing a hat indoors....

Oh, and I am sure Miss Taylor would be asking you to describe your friend Percy ?.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

A particular bugbear of mine, but all the more infuriating when, due to numerous last minute substitute appearances, he became the holder of City's record appearances.

I understand that the two Steves, Lansdown and Cotterill, were not the best of pals either, but I am sure that this had no bearing on John Atyeo's record being usurped.  

I have heard various comments from LC that leave me less than warm to him, and as for his insistence on wearing a hat indoors....

Oh, and I am sure Miss Taylor would be asking you to describe your friend Percy ?.

Not my fault, I don't speak French as well as wot you do !

Am I right in saying that LC has never had a proper testimonial from the club?

I'm sure there was various events to recognise him hitting the record, but no big game. If so, that's some indictment on how the club hierarchy see him

Christ I still remember going away to York City for his debut (1-0 win Kevin Nugent, I think).

3 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Am I right in saying that LC has never had a proper testimonial from the club?

I'm sure there was various events to recognise him hitting the record, but no big game. If so, that's some indictment on how the club hierarchy see him

Christ I still remember going away to York City for his debut (1-0 win Kevin Nugent, I think).

Had a testimonial against the Gas didn’t he? 

7 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Did he? 

Was it a proper one, or a half hearted "we have to do something" affair?

I’m not really sure what the distinction is but it was an all-ticket pre season friendly against Rovers where we fielded the first team or near enough. I don’t know the attendance but I suspect it was large for a pre season game but smaller than a competitive match. Compared to any other testimonial I can think of, I can’t see how it could be described as “half hearted”.

• Like 2

Just now, LondonBristolian said:

I’m not really sure what the distinction is but it was an all-ticket pre season friendly against Rovers where we fielded the first team or near enough. I don’t know the attendance but I suspect it was large for a pre season game but smaller than a competitive match. Compared to any other testimonial I can think of, I can’t see how it could be described as “half hearted”.

Fair enough, I wasn't sure. ?

9 hours ago, petehinton said:

Alfie Jones left Southampton on bad terms, I was told. He went out on loan to Gillingham, and upon returning they knew next to nothing about how he performed. 

Should have been on our radar, but at the same time, Southamptons network was thriving at this time.

Certainly a missed opportunity.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 2015 said:

Disappointing he is helping their academy system and not ours but never mind, still a legend as a player here.

May be completely wrong - but I believe he and Lee Johnson weren’t on fantastic terms, partly why he ended up at Saints.

Could be Chinese whispers but I get the impression there was also some issue around the way he broke the appearance record that he wasn’t exactly enamoured with either. 

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

May be completely wrong - but I believe he and Lee Johnson weren’t on fantastic terms, partly why he ended up at Saints.

Could be Chinese whispers but I get the impression there was also some issue around the way he broke the appearance record that he wasn’t exactly enamoured with either. 

He definitely limped across the line, not saying he didn't deserve it but he didn't smash through it in the best of form. Wasn't it a number of late substitutions for his last few appearences?

1 minute ago, MarcusX said:

He definitely limped across the line, not saying he didn't deserve it but he didn't smash through it in the best of form. Wasn't it a number of late substitutions for his last few appearences?

Indeed, and the former holder of the appearance record played at a time when, for the majority of his career, substitutes weren’t even allowed!

8 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I'd say he didn't deserve it.

Edited by Nogbad the Bad
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Will Rollason said:

Linky

Hmmm... they're still hoovering up the talent then.... but struggling to get academy lads into the first team..

Southampton’s involvement in Bath has been pretty high profile for a long time, and one school in particular has a strong feeder-network to Southampton.  What surprises me is how little attention City pay to kids in Bath.  Admittedly they picked up Zak and Max, but that was ten years ago and very little since then.  One particular youth team in Bath is probably the strongest at its age group in the region outside academies, but only one boy has been offered a trial by City.

5 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Southampton’s involvement in Bath has been pretty high profile for a long time, and one school in particular has a strong feeder-network to Southampton.  What surprises me is how little attention City pay to kids in Bath.  Admittedly they picked up Zak and Max, but that was ten years ago and very little since then.  One particular youth team in Bath is probably the strongest at its age group in the region outside academies, but only one boy has been offered a trial by City.

And not just Bath but Wiltshire too where they picked up players like Nathan Dyer who my nephew played against as a kid when Nathan played for Trowbridge Tigers. For years Southampton has been the pre-eminent academy in the South and West, much to the chagrin of Pompey supporters, but I'd like to think we can compete with them now. 

10 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I've met Louis quite a few times through work at various events. 

I can say that I've never really warmed to him for some reason. Comes across as a bit up himself and obnoxious. I once asked him if he could pass me something and he wasn't best pleased and refused. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I've met Louis quite a few times through work at various events. 

I can say that I've never really warmed to him for some reason. Comes across as a bit up himself and obnoxious. I once asked him if he could pass me something and he wasn't best pleased and refused. 

We’re you more than 5 yards away?

• Like 1
  • Haha 16
  • Flames 1

18 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

They're non existent down my way in Wiltshire too. The only guys I know who had trials at clubs was at Southampton or Rovers. Lots of City fans in Wiltshire too.

• Like 2