IGNORED

White Card

Reigate Red

Not seen any mention of this but.....on Saturday in the women's game between Benfica and Sporting Lisbon the first ever white card was shown.

This is apparently an idea in Portugal to encourage and reward fair play and ethical values. It wasn't though given for anything that happened on the pitch but for the medical staff who rushed to assist someone who had fallen ill on the bench.

Whilst it's a nice gesture, the cynic in me is not convinced this will catch on without some form of overall reward (input to fair play award?).

23 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

Not seen any mention of this but.....on Saturday in the women's game between Benfica and Sporting Lisbon the first ever white card was shown.

This is apparently an idea in Portugal to encourage and reward fair play and ethical values. It wasn't though given for anything that happened on the pitch but for the medical staff who rushed to assist someone who had fallen ill on the bench.

Whilst it's a nice gesture, the cynic in me is not convinced this will catch on without some form of overall reward (input to fair play award?).

Why ?

3 hours ago, Reigate Red said:

I don’t understand. 
What is this supposed to mean? Do teams get an extra point for racking up 10 white cards? Do players with the most white cards get the fines money from the other players yellows and reds? Does the team with the most white cards get a spot in European competition? 
Or is it just a completely pointless thing? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BigTone said:

Why ?

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

I don’t understand. 
What is this supposed to mean? Do teams get an extra point for racking up 10 white cards? Do players with the most white cards get the fines money from the other players yellows and reds? Does the team with the most white cards get a spot in European competition? 

I don't get it either. It just seems an idealistic approach to highlight good deeds without any obvious benefit to those players/teams that make an effort to be fair.

29 minutes ago, Harry said:

I don’t understand. 

There is a fair play award. I'm not sure if a white card is just an embarrassing new virtue signalling thing yet , at the same time, sometimes true sportsmanship should be celebrated and applauded.

It's sort of a good thing yet entirely cringey if awarded on the field.

Perhaps in true British spirit it should be "mentioned in dispatches"?

We really are moving into a more woke world than i ever thought with this shit .

meanwhile knife crime escalates with kids killing kids , Russia illegally occupy Ukraine there is a world energy crisis along with an immigrant saturation in this country & throughout the world but the do Gooders  want to dish out white cards if people are nice at football ffs you couldn’t make it up

Edited by redkev
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

What a load of shite ! We’ll be getting additional points for cheering our  opponents when they put one in the bottom corner next ! Football has been around for 130+ years with only a handful of changes but in the last five years all FIFA etc have done is tinker with this and change that . Leave the f@@k alone ! There’s bugger all wrong with it ! 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, redkev said:

We really are moving into a more woke world than i ever thought with this shit .

meanwhile knife crime escalates with kids killing kids , Russia illegally occupy Ukraine there is a world energy crisis along with an immigrant saturation in this country & throughout the world but the do Gooders  want to dish out white cards if people are nice at football ffs you couldn’t make it up

Leave it babe its not worth it its jus virtue signaling bollox innums 

Edited by Kid in the Riot
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, redkev said:

Are you suggesting that if the Portuguese Women's league hadn't started issuing white cards, then knife crime, illegal wars, and the immigration crisis would all be solved?

Otherwise, I'm not entirely sure what your point is :blink:

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, redkev said:

It must be due to the Loony Left Wing conspiracy that Jeremy Clarkson was banging on about in yesterday’s Sunday Times.

Somewhere in deepest Islington a mysterious left wing cabal have been discussing what to do next, now they have taken over the UK. Obviously the answer has been to introduce White Cards in football in an attempt to destroy our wonderful game. Is nothing sacred to these people? Ffs, you just couldn’t make it up.

Edited by bredwood
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Are you suggesting that if the Portuguese Women's league hadn't started issuing white cards, then knife crime, illegal wars, and the immigration crisis would all be solved?

Otherwise, I'm not entirely sure what your point is :blink:

I think that’s exactly it.

The Portuguese women’s FA, up until last year, were the secretive power behind the world. Putin was terrified of them, people traffickers knew to get on the wrong side of them meant death and the gangs partaking in knife crime had held an uneasy truce lest the Portuguese found out things were bad and took their vengeance.

Fatefully, in February last year, the FA decided that they would focus on the “White Card” initiative. Resources were moved elsewhere, and Putin seized his chance and invaded Ukraine. Worse still, the Portuguese FA didn’t react to this and Russia realised they could make ground during this inertia, plunging the world into chaos.

They were also responsible for Nadhim Zahawis tax returns, and the keeping of James Corden in America by inexplicably renewing the “Late Late Show”. Their move of resources meant a good honest politician is subject to a tax enquiry and an annoying ***** is returning to the UK.

All because of white cards. They’ve screwed us all. It’s the only plausible explanation.

That, or that @redkevmay be overreacting and a bit of a snowflake. But that can’t be true.

• Haha 8
  • Flames 2

11 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think that’s exactly it.

The Portuguese women’s FA, up until last year, were the secretive power behind the world. Putin was terrified of them, people traffickers knew to get on the wrong side of them meant death and the gangs partaking in knife crime had held an uneasy truce lest the Portuguese found out things were bad and took their vengeance.

Fatefully, in February last year, the FA decided that they would focus on the “White Card” initiative. Resources were moved elsewhere, and Putin seized his chance and invaded Ukraine. Worse still, the Portuguese FA didn’t react to this and Russia realised they could make ground during this inertia, plunging the world into chaos.

They were also responsible for Nadhim Zahawis tax returns, and the keeping of James Corden in America by inexplicably renewing the “Late Late Show”. Their move of resources meant a good honest politician is subject to a tax enquiry and an annoying ***** is returning to the UK.

All because of white cards. They’ve screwed us all. It’s the only plausible explanation.

That, or that @redkevmay be overreacting and a bit of a snowflake. But that can’t be true.

Ah okay, well that's fair enough then. I stand corrected :laugh:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Reigate Red said:

A Woke card? (sorry white) I mean when is this going to end? a card shown at the end to both teams for playing the game in a fair and sporting manner? I may come accross as unfeeling and perhaps that's my age but deary me where will this end? 

• Like 1

The only "in play" incidents that spring to mind are when one team knocks the ball out if an opposition player is down injured (white card) followed by the opposition throwing it back to them when play restarts (white card for the other team).

Especially as such white cards don't actually have any standing it all seems rather pointless as what benefit does a hundred white cards bring if you lose 1-0?

And what if one team, managed by say a jailbird with two court appearances in the last year alone, receives zero white cards all season? Would they then be made to wear jester's shirts and their fans made to watch from under tents as a penalty?

It's all rather silly.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pillred said:

A Woke card? (sorry white) I mean when is this going to end? a card shown at the end to both teams for playing the game in a fair and sporting manner? I may come accross as unfeeling and perhaps that's my age but deary me where will this end? 

They could try gold stars!

• Like 2