IGNORED

Best signings of the last 40 years

Steve Watts

A few comments on the Harry Cornick thread about our best signings.  £1.2m for Akinbiyi and £150k for Micky Bell were both top shouts.  I felt it deserved its own thread. 

So who do you think would be our best in the last 40 years and why?

Starter for 10.  I agree with the above shouts, but for me Tinns for £180k is the best and most important signing we have made.  It started a love affair between him and the club and area (and neighbour, but we'll not talk about that one!) that has endured.  His importance to the club would never have been realised had we not signed him in the first place.  A joy to watch on the pitch and now giving us so much more off it. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

In terms of financial return then Webster is the standout. I believe we signed him for £3.5m, enjoyed a season watching a proper, wonderful defender, and then sold him for £20m. A cool £16.5m profit in a single year. No one else will even come close in terms of flipping a player up the divisions for big money.

My time watching doesn't go back 40 years, but I'd say in the time I have watched, and based on a cost/benefit ratio then Weimann stands out in the Championship, and in League 1 it's really between Wilbraham or Freeman, although Flint for £300k and sold for £7m after a 15-goal season, a promotion plus cup win, a disgustingly good hat-trick against Walsall, and generally being a good lad is pretty damn impressive as well.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

In terms of profit, and some goals kodjia must be high on the list

I loved Jimmy Dangers.  Like Semenyo, got you off your feet.

I loved him booting Kyle McFadzean up the arse off the ball against MK Dons.  McFadzean had caught him a few times earlier…so he waited for MK to attack, and just booted him.  Beautiful!