IGNORED

Best signings of the last 40 years

Steve Watts

Aden Flint surely gotta be up there. £300,000 or so, 15 goals from CB in a season! Kept us in the championship before contributing to that cup run. Will never forget that hattrick against Walsall, or even that goal line clearance against Man City, from the sterling header. Sold him for around 7m as well.

Edited by OliOTIB
  • Like 3

Darren Barnard, £175k from Chelsea and changed the side when he moved to left wingback; unstoppable going forward and few got past him. Plus great at taking set pieces. Our own Stuart Pearce though without the emotions.

The OTIB fanzine had an article showing the season's stats broken into BD and AD, the "D" standing for Darren, and the improvement was stunning.

Went to then Premier League Barnsley for £750k and soon thereafter earned a full Wales' cap.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Joe Jordan by tc. Brought too many good players to the club to mention,

Joe Jordan great player and manager. He bought so much to the club. time scale though we are now talking over 40 years ago. Jow is well known and had great spells at Man U, Leeds and Morton. I remember 1988 to 1990 and the great cup run we had.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edge1981 said:

I never realised that we got Smith in a swap deal. Great business

We paid a significant sum as well, £300k I think, it wasn’t simply a straight exchange.

Still brilliant business, I never forget the one week in the summer Cotts signed Korey, Luke Freeman, Mark Little & Wade Elliott. Wilbs arrived about a fortnight later to “mixed” reviews on here..

That golden season was set up by that week.

5 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Norman Hunter (40k ?)

Norman is a legend. I remember seeing his funeral on the tele at leeds where they carried his coffin up through the tunnel and onto the pitch. One of the best and competative footballers ever to put on a City shirt.

1 minute ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Eeh good thread many of the best have been mentioned

David Seal 80k from Young Boys

Albert Adomah was something daft like 30k, ditto Bolasie

JET was part of a Swap deal

Aggo was 100k

Luke Wiltshire 250k

Bradders was on a free iirc

Prol loads more 

There has been some big ones signed as well. Not sure if there are any more expensive than Fam.

Fam - 5.3 Mill.

Baker 4 Mill.

Tomlin 3 Mill. 

Magnússon 2.5 Mill.

Biggest sale I-am aware of is Kodjia at around 15Mill to Villa.

19 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

A few comments on the Harry Cornick thread about our best signings.  £1.2m for Akinbiyi and £150k for Micky Bell were both top shouts.  I felt it deserved its own thread. 

So who do you think would be our best in the last 40 years and why?

Starter for 10.  I agree with the above shouts, but for me Tinns for £180k is the best and most important signing we have made.  It started a love affair between him and the club and area (and neighbour, but we'll not talk about that one!) that has endured.  His importance to the club would never have been realised had we not signed him in the first place.  A joy to watch on the pitch and now giving us so much more off it. 

Given that Hunter was 45/46 years ago. I'm going to stick to 40 years.

Lots of players we've enjoyed over the years (Walshie, Super Bob, Cole, Abrahams).

But for me the best actual signing in terms of where it could have potentially taken the club has got to be Webster.

£3.5m turned into £20m+ in 1 season, and he smashed all of the stats for the divison that seaspn as well.

Of course, in hindsight the money was squandered. But i think he's the best defender i've seen for us since Collier & Hunter, and his partnership with Kalas was great. We still haven't replaced him.

Bettet in my eyes that Caulkner as well, but he was also great for us.

• Like 1