IGNORED

Semenyo: In 3 years time....

Semenyo: In 3 years time....  

352 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

24 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

It's easy to look back in hindsight so right now on the day of the deal for a player I think most would say 

A) has a lot of potential 

And 

B) needs to be more consistent 

How will we feel in 3 years time...

He will be financially secure.

Us, jealous

Edited by BigTone

9 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

To be fair, Conway has always been a centre forward whereas Semenyo spent a lot of his early years out wide.

Also Semenyo did his growing up in the first team - no years in the academy to hone his craft, remember that red card against Derby - Johnson saw something in him.? We have to credit him with that.

• Like 2

I don’t think he’s ready for the PL and I very much doubt he will score the goals to keep AFCB up. He will need to drastically improve his first touch, learn to stay on side, and at least hit the target with half chances like the two he had against Blackburn if he’s to make it at that level. Big step up, but will he care of £50k pw? Doubt it. 

• Like 1

I think for where we’re at and Semenyo is, it’s a good deal all round. Everyone is taking a bit of a gamble, and I’d say it’s about 50:50, maybe 60:40 in favour, as to whether he kicks on in the Premier. 

Semenyo’s assets are his pace and power. Those are the two attributes that sets you apart from the average in football nowadays. 

The key thing now for us is that we don’t flush the money down the drain on more mediocre squad players that don’t improve us, as has been our habit. We need to find a couple of gems in the market place to push us on. If we s****k the money away again on sub-average ‘has beens’ or the ‘never will be’, we will never progress as a Club. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

So many fans look at goals and assists as the only way of judging a player.  Someone text me yesterday saying we robbed them as Semenyo has only scored 16 goals in 120 games for us.  It’s just a weird way of reaching an opinion on a player 

Don’t get me started….had a twitter rant with @Curr Avon’s sister re exactly that.

55 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

I see Semenyo being at a similar level to where Bryan and Reid are now.

Me too, but you never know how a player might develop.

When they were at AG, who could have predicted Danny Rose would go on to win nearly 30 England caps, whereas Caulker would shuffle through loads of clubs, largely in Turkey, before ending up at Wigan. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

So many fans look at goals and assists as the only way of judging a player.  Someone text me yesterday saying we robbed them as Semenyo has only scored 16 goals in 120 games for us.  It’s just a weird way of reaching an opinion on a player 

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Don’t get me started….had a twitter rant with @Curr Avon’s sister re exactly that.

For me his finest attribute is his power and his pace.  There ain't much slowing down a Semenyo train, it means he can be so hard to handle it makes space for someone else.  I'll miss him would have loved to see him hit his ceiling with us. 

• Like 1

I don't wish him well and I don't wish him not to do well. I don't like the club he has signed for because they cheated their way onto the parachute roundabout. So in that way I suppose it would be satisfying if it turns out to be a shit signing. I didn't read the goodbye statement either because those things are more often than not, bullshit. As far as I'm concerned he has gone,so let's move on and leave them to their smug Premier League selves. I'll never have the respect for them as I do Brentford or Swansea and the like. Teams who did it properly.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

When they were at AG, who could have predicted Danny Rose would go on to win nearly 30 England caps, whereas Caulker would shuffle through loads of clubs, largely in Turkey, before ending up at Wigan. 

It really has me thinking recently about how much attention should be paid to loan performances. Especially when a lot of our better academy graduates who eventually went for big money performed decently on loan but never turnt up trees. I saw a Sunderland fan comment on a Semenyo to B’mouth Twitter rumour “is that the kid who couldn’t hit a barn door for us?”.

6 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I don't wish him well and I don't wish him not to do well. I don't like the club he has signed for because they cheated their way onto the parachute roundabout. So in that way I suppose it would be satisfying if it turns out to be a shit signing. I didn't read the goodbye statement either because those things are more often than not, bullshit. As far as I'm concerned he has gone,so let's move on and leave them to their smug Premier League selves. I'll never have the respect for them as I do Brentford or Swansea and the like. 

Well said, and to think they were shaking their buckets trying to keep their miserable little club alive just a couple of decades ago. I’ve also got zero respect for them and their cheating antics but likewise wouldn’t wish any ill on Antoine himself. Hopefully they get relegated and he can sign for a genuine bigger club.

Edited by Wanderingred
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

It really has me thinking recently about how much attention should be paid to loan performances. Especially when a lot of our better academy graduates who eventually went for big money performed decently on loan but never turnt up trees. I saw a Sunderland fan comment on a Semenyo to B’mouth Twitter rumour “is that the kid who couldn’t hit a barn door for us?”.

To be fair, he couldn't hit a barn door for us at first, but as we all hoped, once he got off the mark, he started taking his chances as his confidence improved. We could all see he had physical presence and a football brain before then. Well, hopefully all of us. ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

There is a reason for that though 

16 hours ago, tin said:

I don’t think he’s ready for the PL and I very much doubt he will score the goals to keep AFCB up. He will need to drastically improve his first touch, learn to stay on side, and at least hit the target with half chances like the two he had against Blackburn if he’s to make it at that level. Big step up, but will he care of £50k pw? Doubt it. 

I think that’s the big challenge for him. He misses too high a percentage of chances, and you get a lot fewer chances in the PL. 

• Like 1