IGNORED

Semenyo: In 3 years time....

Semenyo: In 3 years time....  

352 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'll eat humble pie on this one. I thought he was overrated and we'd picked Bournemouths pocket. 

He looks like he could be unstoppable in a couple of years. Heading for a bigger club soon for a healthy profit. With Toney reported to be £50 million minimum he could easily be £25 million soon 

He looks the same as he did for us , at times unstoppable , at times a little clumsy . But he's playing at a higher level and so has clearly tidied his game up some .  When he gets a yard to run , his pace and strength are so hard to stop and being able to go either way is big.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

I'll eat humble pie on this one. I thought he was overrated and we'd picked Bournemouths pocket. 

He looks like he could be unstoppable in a couple of years. Heading for a bigger club soon for a healthy profit. With Toney reported to be £50 million minimum he could easily be £25 million soon 

How often does this actually happen?

Championship > lower PL > Big PL

Off the top of my head I think of Webster, Kelly, Bowen, Watkins who all went up for a decent fee to a smaller PL Club and have stayed with the first club they joined despite all putting in decent performances.

I've not really looked into it but my gut says I'm really not sure that these big second moves actually happen very often unless the club in question gets relegated and they do a mini fire-sale (see Maddison for example).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

How often does this actually happen?

Championship > lower PL > Big PL

Off the top of my head I think of Webster, Kelly, Bowen, Watkins who all went up for a decent fee to a smaller PL Club and have stayed with the first club they joined despite all putting in decent performances.

I've not really looked into it but my gut says I'm really not sure that these big second moves actually happen very often unless the club in question gets relegated and they do a mini fire-sale (see Maddison for example).

TBF to those smaller Prem Clubs , they all kicked on higher than expected , probably not Bournemouth yet but Kelly is linked with a big move. Villa finished 7th , Brighton 6th and in Europe and West Ham won a trophy . 
Brownhill was one I thought might get his big move, linked with Liverpool at one point. I wonder if he will go when they get relegated. 

I know what you mean though , foreign players seem to do it ok . Jota , Mccallister . I'm going to have to look out for that now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

TBF to those smaller Prem Clubs , they all kicked on higher than expected , probably not Bournemouth yet but Kelly is linked with a big move. Villa finished 7th , Brighton 6th and in Europe and West Ham won a trophy . 
Brownhill was one I thought might get his big move, linked with Liverpool at one point. I wonder if he will go when they get relegated. 

I know what you mean though , foreign players seem to do it ok . Jota , Mccallister . I'm going to have to look out for that now.

Where the club has done well isn't it even more surprising that the ex-championship star hasn't been bought by a "top 6" side?

Brownhill yep another one. Suspect he's a coin flip when they come down. If they get a good offer he'll move but otherwise will stay - he stayed last time they came down right?

I just can't think of many who have done the whole "stepping stone" thing purely on playing success.

Home-grown premium playing a factor maybe? Dunno. Might ask some of my colleagues who do the transfers if they've any theories.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

Yeah likewise...I thought he would barely play and be at a top 6 championship team on loan by now. 

Really pleased to have been proved wrong though and pleased to see him doing well.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Annoyingly for Kelly and us, probably on a free.

Webster, Brownhill and Kelly for that matter haven't moved onwards. (Thinking sell-on potential here) albeit Brighton have moved upwards in their own position and development.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Webster, Brownhill and Kelly for that matter haven't moved onwards. (Thinking sell-on potential here) albeit Brighton have moved upwards in their own position and development.

Not sure where Webster stands now, appears in about half of the games he's available for. Don't see him moving higher, or us getting a sell on. 

There seems to be an offer on the table, but with bigger Clubs linked it looks like Kelly will go on a free. Again no sell on.

Brownhill I was optimistic about , specially when they went down last time.  Transfermarkt has his contract up in the summer . They do have a years option it seems, but I also read that Wolves were hoping to get him cheap , £7m , which again is no good for us. 

That little sell on bonus is eluding us ATM.

11 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I said all along we won’t get a penny in sell on for any of these players & I stand by it.

Brighton have had Webster’s best years now & he isn’t a first choice there anymore. No way does someone match what we got for him, let alone exceed it.

Brownhill is “poised to move” every January window, but then he never does & presumably him & his agent negotiate a pay rise as a result.

If Kelly had renewed his contract Bournemouth might have got a fee that exceeded what they paid, but they didn’t & they won’t.

Could have, should have, would have, but no sell fees on for us.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I said all along we won’t get a penny in sell on for any of these players & I stand by it.

Brighton have had Webster’s best years now & he isn’t a first choice there anymore. No way does someone match what we got for him, let alone exceed it.

Brownhill is “poised to move” every January window, but then he never does & presumably him & his agent negotiate a pay rise as a result.

If Kelly had renewed his contract Bournemouth might have got a fee that exceeded what they paid, but they didn’t & they won’t.

Could have, should have, would have, but no sell fees on for us.

I think the sell on clauses still have merit.

For example if Bournemouth get relegated next season then you'd think one of Scott or Semenyo would be sold back into the PL and we would benefit there. You'd rather have the sell on clause in the contract than not.

But I agree that any real value to us in terms of deferred money is likely to be in bonus payments based on performance and achievement.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I think the sell on clauses still have merit.

For example if Bournemouth get relegated next season then you'd think one of Scott or Semenyo would be sold back into the PL and we would benefit there. You'd rather have the sell on clause in the contract than not.

But I agree that any real value to us in terms of deferred money is likely to be in bonus payments based on performance and achievement.

Agree, I was quoting Webster & Brownhill in particular who certain posters seem to obsessively think we are going to further benefit from.

Sell on clauses are always a smart idea, we famously got badly burned by not inserting one for Andy Cole all those years ago & then struck the jackpot with Yannick Bolasie.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1