IGNORED

Kal Naismith

Mike Stone

A bit of credit where its due.

While all our young uns are getting the praise they rightfully deserve. let's take a moment to think about what the impact Kal Naismith has had on the team in recent weeks since he was pushed into his midfield role.

In my opinion this move from Nige has been the reason for our recent upturn in performances and long may it continue. 

Well done Kal and sorry for slagging you off when you were playing centre back!

• Like 16
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

6 minutes ago, Mike Stone said:

A bit of credit where its due.

While all our young uns are getting the praise they rightfully deserve. let's take a moment to think about what the impact Kal Naismith has had on the team in recent weeks since he was pushed into his midfield role.

In my opinion this move from Nige has been the reason for our recent upturn in performances and long may it continue. 

Well done Kal and sorry for slagging you off when you were playing centre back!

Yes he has certainly improved since the position switch 

While playing in defence he was too prone to making big mistakes, which all too often led to goals or, at the very least, exposed other defenders with hospital passes.

Is it a coincidence that Vyner's form has improved markedly ( almost beyond recognition for a player who seemed to be moving into the `Liam Fontaine bracket on here ) since Naismith moved into midfield and he was partnered with "proper" defenders?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The move to midfield has definitely helped.

I do wonder with hindsight, whether NP regrets not trusting 4 at the back earlier in the season.

He said in the past that we didn't have the players to play with a back 4 system...yet we are playing with the very same players, and injuries.

It's the one major thing he may have got wrong this season. 

We would have been further up the table if we had played like we have this past month with 4 at the back.

• Like 7
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I do wonder with hindsight, whether NP regrets not trusting 4 at the back earlier in the season.

He said in the past that we didn't have the players to play with a back 4 system...yet we are playing with the very same players, and injuries.

We would have been further up the table if we had played like we have this past month with 4 at the back.

Possibly, but I think there are several other things that made him change.  Much as he has always said he likes a back four, he’s also said he likes a front two.

Until recently, Conway and Wells have made the front two difficult to dislodge and pair that with Weimann in behind too.

Conway and Weimann injured.

The building up of both Vyner and Atkinson (in different ways), so that they are confident in each other.

I think it’s a bit of a journey to get the squad where it is, and a bit of fortune in other respects.

Very easy to forget the great football we played in a different system, early season…

…when we went 8 unbeaten.  Lots of different reasons, form (certainly of key players), confidence, injuries, coupled with a very consistent selection policy, eg your shirt to lose.

#culture

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, spudski said:

Same personnel but definitely very different players! ? 

• Like 1

The weird thing is I liked him in defence. He’d be pretty much man of the match for 99% of the game but then would do something stupid that usually ended up costing us. Just felt like if he cut that out of his game we’d be sorted. However seems to be thriving in the midfield, very often drops in to that central defence spot to receive a ball and get us forward aswell so it’s best of both worlds.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Negan said:

The weird thing is I liked him in defence. He’d be pretty much man of the match for 99% of the game but then would do something stupid that usually ended up costing us. Just felt like if he cut that out of his game we’d be sorted. However seems to be thriving in the midfield, very often drops in to that central defence spot to receive a ball and get us forward aswell so it’s best of both worlds.

I think if you cut that from his game you probably lose a big part of it. He constantly takes two players out of the game with his passing and breaks lines/the press with them. When they come off they look simple and its easy to miss (I was actually hoping the clip on twitter posted above would include some of his passing). NP has us waiting for opportunities then moving the ball quickly to exploit gaps, Naismith and Scott are the best we have at doing that. Because he takes on those riskier passes he is always going to get picked off occasionally, but it's a huge part of his game and value to us. "However seems to be thriving in the midfield, very often drops in to that central defense spot to receive a ball and get us forward as well so it’s best of both worlds." - you are spot on here though moving him forward does mitigate that risk and gives us the best of both worlds. 

• Like 3

The current role Kal Naismith is playing is the only role that we haven’t got cover for when everyone is fit.

For our current system to work Naismith has to play every minute. This position always has been a position we have struggled to recruit into. Don’t think it’s a coincidence that since Naismith has been moved into this position Scott’s performances have improved. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Big apology to Kal as after the move to midfield in the Swans game, I commented on here that in no way was he a midfielder as too slow to play there. Yet again, I prove that I know nothing about football as been excellent there. 

It sems like a few of us are eating a bit of humble pie today

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shuffle said:

Big apology to Kal as after the move to midfield in the Swans game, I commented on here that in no way was he a midfielder as too slow to play there. Yet again, I prove that I know nothing about football as been excellent there. 

As with all these type of things, you have to judge over a period of games…and also allow a player to find his feet in that role too.  Even in that Swansea game where he struggled to get up to speed, there were a couple of great passes.  I too commented on his performance in that 45…just didn’t make a final judgement!!! ???

Although there was some great team performances at beginning of season I would say ultimately he was costing us too many goals in defence, at one time he was a disaster waiting to happen. Yesterday everyone was fantastic but it was extra sweet seeing the midfield do so well after the shambolic 2nd half against WBA on boxing day when the midfield were completely outperformed. Hoping Naismith stays fit now and we get more of the same. 

5 hours ago, Shuffle said:

I think we can all see he'll never be a greyhound but lots of decent players you could say the same about, Marlon for one. However anticipation and experience count for a lot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TomF said:

Remember getting shot down earlier in season on Twitter for suggesting him sitting in front of back 4.  To me looks like his ideal role in this side where he can influence both ends of pitch 

Yes that ability to just sit in front of back four and drop back into it giving good defensive cover makes such a difference. Frees up Scott more and allows the other midfield players to be more forward thinking. I still feel we need another player bought in who can play this role as if he gets injured we have no one who can do it as well. I felt what shone through to me on Saturday is the whole side played with such confidence and believe. Seemed to all know there jobs and supported each other so we'll. Yes some stand our performers Scott & Bell especially but a very impressive team performance. Well done the team and NP. Let's now get this consistently that's where really turn the corner and are moving forward 

• Like 2