IGNORED

Massengo - Loan to Auxerre (Confirmed)

Davefevs

9 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

By all rights that should mean an increase to his compensation fee,,, that transfer has been a shocking waste of time and money for us… again….

I think @Davefevs has made the point earlier that the compensation is a fixed fee worked out on a formula, and that performance doesn’t come into it. 

Didn’t work out too well for him either: I can’t help feeling he’d have made a lot more progress had he been at a club and playing a style of football that was better using his strengths. He’s evidently got the talent, we just haven’t been able to make the best of it.

And that’s not a criticism of anyone, it’s just how things sometimes pan out, especially when clubs change managers. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

I think @Davefevs has made the point earlier that the compensation is a fixed fee worked out on a formula, and that performance doesn’t come into it. 

Didn’t work out too well for him either: I can’t help feeling he’d have made a lot more progress had he been at a club and playing a style of football that was better using his strengths. He’s evidently got the talent, we just haven’t been able to make the best of it.

And that’s not a criticism of anyone, it’s just how things sometimes pan out, especially when clubs change managers. 

Yes that compensation calculation is the way I understood it worked too.

i dunno,, hnm has made a good living, but also, his physicality from growing up in the championship will have improved substantially and will have set him up for a good career im the european leagues.. apart from the last 6 months he probably doesn’t have too many complaints?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

Yes that compensation calculation is the way I understood it worked too.

i dunno,, hnm has made a good living, but also, his physicality from growing up in the championship will have improved substantially and will have set him up for a good career im the european leagues.. apart from the last 6 months he probably doesn’t have too many complaints?!

Yes, fair comment. I’m not sure players worry solely about money and he certainly doesn’t strike me that way. And I don’t think he’ll have enjoyed Holden’s spell much. But yes, I’m sure he will see positives in his time here. There’s no doubt he developed, and 100 (or 99 for the pedants!) games at Championship level is a good CV

• Like 5

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Yes, fair comment. I’m not sure players worry solely about money and he certainly doesn’t strike me that way. And I don’t think he’ll have enjoyed Holden’s spell much. But yes, I’m sure he will see positives in his time here. There’s no doubt he developed, and 100 (or 99 for the pedants!) games at Championship level is a good CV

He came here to play games, that's why he didn't go to a bigger European Club . He was happy with the amount he played up to the start of this season , but I think someone has been in his ear. If he had accepted the new offer he would have been playing, but someone had eyes on the money move, not sure it was him. 

19 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

By all rights that should mean an increase to his compensation fee,,, that transfer has been a shocking waste of time and money for us… again….

Compensation doesn't come into play, does it? Neither does him being OOC.  Everyone knows we were just looking after him ahead of his agreed £8m move to Chelsea.....:whistle2:

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, WorleRed89 said:

Probably just missed the boat here but did we ever figure out how much that deal cost city? Remember it being mooted to be around 8m but assume that would have included various add ons etc

It was confirmed that it was never anywhere near £8m.  I believe the "official" (rumoured) fee was around £2m with add ons.  Actual figure was "Undisclosed".  The £8m fee was an over-excited journalist whose fantasy figure seemed to gain traction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Compensation doesn't come into play, does it? Neither does him being OOC.  Everyone knows we were just looking after him ahead of his agreed £8m move to Chelsea.....:whistle2:

Oh yes, hopefully the secret contractual obligation still stands despite them having 73 new managers and a new owner since the deal was done!

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Oh yes, hopefully the secret contractual obligation still stands despite them having 73 new managers and a new owner since the deal was done!

Given the way the new owner is chucking cash about, City could probably try it on and tell him about that deal and he'd happily pay up.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

€3m fee allegedly….the £8m / $8m was made up of wages and other clauses (plus sell-on), which is the way some transfers are stated in France.

Yep, with the exchange rate at that time, a figure of £2.3m seems to be the correct one.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

€3m fee allegedly….the £8m / $8m was made up of wages and other clauses (plus sell-on), which is the way some transfers are stated in France.

Just now, GrahamC said:

Yep, with the exchange rate at that time, a figure of £2.3m seems to be the correct one.

I heard £2m when he joined, so near enough.

Is a shame how it ended, he clearly has attributes and IMO should be capable of having a decent career. Had he signed a new deal here he would be getting plenty of game time right now with all the midfield injuries, and the shift to a 4-3-3 of sorts.

Would be funny if he scored for France U21 but he's not really a goal scoring midfielder but energy, not bad technically- a 2 or a 2 and attacking mid could leave him a bit exposed though.

36 minutes ago, Claverham_Red said:

Congrats to Massengo who came on for the last 8 minutes to make his French under-21 debut. England were already 3-0 up when he came on. He did his usual passing around but looked bright, at times felt his team mates were reluctant to pass to him right away.

Yes a real honour for Han-Noah. To play for the U21 team of what is arguably the strongest footballing nation in the world over the last 20 odd years is something to be proud of.

And well done to England on a very convincing victory 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

Sambuca, Raki and Ouzo have the same effect on me. Just a whiff and I'm gagging. 

As Elvis Costello put it in the Deportees Club 

"Now I wish that she was mine

I could have been a king in 6/8 time – poor deportee

Schnapps, Chianti, Porter and Ouzo

Pernod Vodka, Sambuca, I love you so poor deportee"

15 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Yes a real honour for Han-Noah. To play for the U21 team of what is arguably the strongest footballing nation in the world over the last 20 odd years is something to be proud of.

And well done to England on a very convincing victory 

Indeed, shame he's leaving I rate him highly.

Odd that some on here have written Bajic off already who is also in the squad.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, DaveF said:

Indeed, shame he's leaving I rate him highly.

Odd that some on here have written Bajic off already who is also in the squad.

The thing is if HNM was still here and playing OTC would probably not have been given his chance last Saturday.   It’s quite possible that OTC will turn out to be the better of the two.  Swings and Roundabouts really.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

13 minutes ago, Malago said:

The thing is if HNM was still here and playing OTC would probably not have been given his chance last Saturday.   It’s quite possible that OTC will turn out to be the better of the two.  Swings and Roundabouts really.

Ignoring age, because one is 21 and the other 19, but comparing at 19, I think there’s some recency bias going on in this thread.

Han was a u19 international for a top nation, let’s not forget at the age OTC is now.

As for now, Han is now in an u21 squad (sub) for a top nation.  He is showing at Auxerre what he showed here (unfortunately inconsistently), and forced his way back into the international scene.

Guessing OTC will start getting call ups for Wales age group at some point.  Joe Low scored for Wales u21s today btw).

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ignoring age, because one is 21 and the other 19, but comparing at 19, I think there’s some recency bias going on in this thread.

Han was a u19 international for a top nation, let’s not forget at the age OTC is now.

As for now, Han is now in an u21 squad (sub) for a top nation.  He is showing at Auxerre what he showed here (unfortunately inconsistently), and forced his way back into the international scene.

Guessing OTC will start getting call ups for Wales age group at some point.  Joe Low scored for Wales u21s today btw).

In a nutshell HNM will occasionally have a very good game but for us he was nothing more than average overall.
I wish him well in his career as he seems a nice enough lad so good luck to him, am i bothered he’s gone? Not one bit 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1