IGNORED

Football Manager/Will Still

spudski

Just now, 1960maaan said:

It's a fantastic story, it's amazing anyone gave him a chance to start with.  I was mesmerised by his training session too.

He obviously has talent, and he ' lucked out' by one person giving him an opportunity. 

Football is often seen as a closed shop, jobs for the boys etc...but analysis and such like, is more to the fore front, and people from outside football are starting to get opportunities. 

Watching his training sessions and interview, it shows he has something about him. Sometimes you just nee that bit of luck. 

He comes across so we'll. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, spudski said:

He obviously has talent, and he ' lucked out' by one person giving him an opportunity. 

Football is often seen as a closed shop, jobs for the boys etc...but analysis and such like, is more to the fore front, and people from outside football are starting to get opportunities. 

Watching his training sessions and interview, it shows he has something about him. Sometimes you just nee that bit of luck. 

Totally, and I have the feeling over here he wouldn't have got the opportunity, which would have been a loss. 
I really hope he has some real , tangible success along the way, but never loses his spark. 
I will watch with interest.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, spudski said:

AVB lived in the same apartment block as Bobby Robson when he was at Porto and chatted to him and ended up getting a job at Porto, having never played the game professionally!  Unbelievable really

33 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

AVB lived in the same apartment block as Bobby Robson when he was at Porto and chatted to him and ended up getting a job at Porto, having never played the game professionally!  Unbelievable really

I believe in this case it was Mourinho. (I could be wrong)

But that's not Just luck, as he got his start from sir bobby.

53 minutes ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

Can someone who does play FM send me some print screens of Alex Scott on the new update? I'm in the process of moving house so buying a new laptop has had to take a back seat 

This is the thread you want.

• Robin 1

1 hour ago, The turtle said:

I think Mourinho was initially the interpreter, and it was AVB…but I could be the one that’s wrong.  It’s one of them though ???

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Football Manager/Will Still

This is turning into a great thread, as well as Will Still stuff, I just learnt ..

AVB lived in the same block as Bobby Robson at 16.
Robson appointed him to Porto's observation department.
Then arranged for AVB to get his coaching Licences.
Got his "C" Licence at 17 !

Does show luck plays a big part.
As a side note, just reading Gary Numan's Biography and he says the same, but adds. He believes you can reduce the amount of luck you need. He read reviews and studied where the music papers did most of their reviews and where Labels would tend to gather. Then tried to be and play those venues when he could. Interesting take on it.

I did know that Mourhinho was Robsons interpreter though.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

This is turning into a great thread, as well as Will Still stuff, I just learnt ..

AVB lived in the same block as Bobby Robson at 16.
Robson appointed him to Porto's observation department.
Then arranged for AVB to get his coaching Licences.
Got his "C" Licence at 17 !

Does show luck plays a big part.
As a side note, just reading Gary Numan's Biography and he says the same, but adds. He believes you can reduce the amount of luck you need. He read reviews and studied where the music papers did most of their reviews and where Labels would tend to gather. Then tried to be and play those venues when he could. Interesting take on it.

I did know that Mourhinho was Robsons interpreter though.

Yeh Barce fans referred to Jose as The Interpreter as an insult when he managed Real

https://youtu.be/dpYA_d4A4E0

Edited by Tinmans Love Child
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The turtle said:

Wiki on Jose:  Then, in 1992, an opportunity arose to work as a translator for a top foreign coach: Bobby Robson had been appointed as the new manager of Lisbon club Sporting CP and needed an English-speaking local coach to work as his interpreter.  His presentation was on 7 July, alongside president Sousa Cintra, manager Robson and Manuel Fernandes.  Mourinho began discussing tactics and coaching with Robson in his interpreting role. Robson was sacked by the club in December 1993. When Porto appointed him as their head coach, Mourinho moved with him, continuing to coach and interpret for players at the new club.

Wiki on AVB: He has spoken fluent English since childhood, for his grandmother was from Stockport, England.  At the age of 16, Villas-Boas found himself living in the same apartment block as Bobby Robson, who was then manager of FC Porto. Following a conversation between the two, Robson appointed him to Porto's observation department.  Robson arranged for Villas-Boas to obtain the FAcoaching qualification, the UEFA C coaching licence in Scotland and for him to study the training methods of Ipswich Town. He obtained his C licence at the age of 17, and his B licence at 18. He received his A licence at the age of 19, and later acquired UEFA Pro Licence under the tutelage of Jim Fleeting.

4 hours ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

Can someone who does play FM send me some print screens of Alex Scott on the new update? I'm in the process of moving house so buying a new laptop has had to take a back seat 

Hes worth £80 million in my save after 1 season and promotion to the prem . Mehmeti is worth £77 million and massengo £85 million .

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Wiki on Jose:  Then, in 1992, an opportunity arose to work as a translator for a top foreign coach: Bobby Robson had been appointed as the new manager of Lisbon club Sporting CP and needed an English-speaking local coach to work as his interpreter.  His presentation was on 7 July, alongside president Sousa Cintra, manager Robson and Manuel Fernandes.  Mourinho began discussing tactics and coaching with Robson in his interpreting role. Robson was sacked by the club in December 1993. When Porto appointed him as their head coach, Mourinho moved with him, continuing to coach and interpret for players at the new club.

Wiki on AVB: He has spoken fluent English since childhood, for his grandmother was from Stockport, England.  At the age of 16, Villas-Boas found himself living in the same apartment block as Bobby Robson, who was then manager of FC Porto. Following a conversation between the two, Robson appointed him to Porto's observation department.  Robson arranged for Villas-Boas to obtain the FAcoaching qualification, the UEFA C coaching licence in Scotland and for him to study the training methods of Ipswich Town. He obtained his C licence at the age of 17, and his B licence at 18. He received his A licence at the age of 19, and later acquired UEFA Pro Licence under the tutelage of Jim Fleeting.

Thanks......i learnt something.

Until today, i thought it was jose who learnt from bobby, then avb who learnt from jose. Clearly not??

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, The turtle said:

Thanks......i learnt something.

Until today, i thought it was jose who learnt from bobby, then avb who learnt from jose. Clearly not??

Well there defo would have been a stage when all 3 were at Porto together, and I guess AVB might have still been at Porto when Jose took over, but I'm not 100% sure, very interesting stories though.  Jose and AVB have had their critics but to have done so well, especially Jose, considering where they started is unreal!  

55 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Not sure whether this goes in the Scott transfer thread, Scott general thread or FM threads in here (mods merge as needed) but post the mid season update there is an interesting name as the most signed in Football Manager…

Plenty of love for him in the comments.

I gave up on FM a few years back. It got so indepth it was becoming harder than my day job!

24 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Greatest game ever created. 

Played it for many, many years. I guess I just have less time these days.

It's certainly the ultimate football sim. Spent a lot of time on the Spectrum version of Football Manager, made by the legendary Kevin Toms. Football Director on the same machine was also quite good.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Played it for many, many years. I guess I just have less time these days.

It's certainly the ultimate football sim. Spent a lot of time on the Spectrum version of Football Manager, made by the legendary Kevin Toms. Football Director on the same machine was also quite good.

I used to too, but kids stopped that.  Excel Divorce Manager by wife used to call it!

• Flames 1

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I used to too, but kids stopped that.  Excel Divorce Manager by wife used to call it!

I believe it’s been cited in multiple divorce cases, saw a figure of 50 before.

Its a good job you moved on from your stats based obsession Dave. I’d hate to think that you’d sunk deeper into that hole.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I believe it’s been cited in multiple divorce cases, saw a figure of 50 before.

Its a good job you moved on from your stats based obsession Dave. I’d hate to think that you’d sunk deeper into that hole.

OTIB saved me ???

• Haha 1

Anyway, Will Still .....  umm ... still making news.

Been linked with Spurs, the story I saw was that ...

Italian outlet Sportitalia have claimed in a new report that Tottenham Hotspur sporting director Fabio Paratici has held a meeting with Will Still about the possibility of becoming the manager of Spurs.

According to the report, these talks were held in Switzerland as Tottenham recently identified the Reims manager as a new candidate for the role.

I was speaking to my Brother in Law (Spurs fan) and he said that Paratici had been suspended. Had to check that, and it appears he has "stepped back from his role" Sky reports;

Screenshot2023-04-20at16_34_20.png.db15d545dcd66daed1f2e340a21b9d5c.png

But then the Mail says ....

Tottenham have opened talks with Remis boss and Football Manager enthusiast Will Still about possibly becoming the club's next manager. 

and add

His success hasn't gone unnoticed and according to Sports Italia, Still had a surprise meeting with Spurs' managing director of football Fabio Paratici about becoming Tottenham's new boss. 

This, despite Paratici taking a leave of absence pending the outcome of an appeal following his worldwide ban over his dealings while at Juventus. 

I guess his 30 month ban was in Italian football originally , and he is appealing so may be free to carry on in the mean time, odd though.
Anyway, away from the sideshow of Paratici , this could be really interesting. Still has been brilliant in France, 3 defeats in 24 games. I would love him to get the job, would make the Prem really interesting. Be great to see what he could do with making Spurs less Spursy. 

Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 16.37.17.png

35 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Anyway, Will Still .....  umm ... still making news.

Been linked with Spurs, the story I saw was that ...

Italian outlet Sportitalia have claimed in a new report that Tottenham Hotspur sporting director Fabio Paratici has held a meeting with Will Still about the possibility of becoming the manager of Spurs.

According to the report, these talks were held in Switzerland as Tottenham recently identified the Reims manager as a new candidate for the role.

I was speaking to my Brother in Law (Spurs fan) and he said that Paratici had been suspended. Had to check that, and it appears he has "stepped back from his role" Sky reports;

Screenshot2023-04-20at16_34_20.png.db15d545dcd66daed1f2e340a21b9d5c.png

But then the Mail says ....

Tottenham have opened talks with Remis boss and Football Manager enthusiast Will Still about possibly becoming the club's next manager. 

and add

His success hasn't gone unnoticed and according to Sports Italia, Still had a surprise meeting with Spurs' managing director of football Fabio Paratici about becoming Tottenham's new boss. 

This, despite Paratici taking a leave of absence pending the outcome of an appeal following his worldwide ban over his dealings while at Juventus. 

I guess his 30 month ban was in Italian football originally , and he is appealing so may be free to carry on in the mean time, odd though.
Anyway, away from the sideshow of Paratici , this could be really interesting. Still has been brilliant in France, 3 defeats in 24 games. I would love him to get the job, would make the Prem really interesting. Be great to see what he could do with making Spurs less Spursy. 

Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 16.37.17.png

That'll be interesting as Will is a massive Hammers fan 

• Like 1