IGNORED

Phil Alexander Interview?

W-S-M Seagull

Yeh I thought we might get something this week. I'm surprised there's not even been a formal recognition that it was Gould's last day on Tuesday and Alexander has now taken over. Surprised, but not particularly disappointed.

I think Alexander will continue Gould's "just quietly getting on with it" philosophy. If you search for interviews and stuff from his time at Palace there's really not very much at all. It's good. So long as he comes out at key moments - financial statement release, fan forum stuff, board reshuffles, investment or ownership changes etc, manager sacking/recruitment - then I think it's fine.

This is a much less momentous, disruptive or even interesting than the last change in CEO. That's partly due to the egos and personalities involved, but it's because I get the feeling that this is a continuation of culture rather than a shift. I feel like the club recognise that, and so there's less fanfare.

I guess there may well be something in the matchday programme for the Norwich home game.

Ps. They've not filed the AP01 change of director forms on companies house yet so there's clearly no rush (they have 14 days to do that).

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Thanks 1

Richard Gould is still here isn't he doing the handover? Maybe once he's officially in the seat, and has had a few weeks to settle in we might get one.

Then again, not everyone is like Mark Ashton (thankfully), he may prefer to stay away from the media side of things.

9 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Why no interview so far? 

He's been in the building for a few weeks and has now taken over but nothing so far? 

It is a bit strange but it’s a welcome change from having to listen to that jumped up bellend Ashton spinning us yarns at every opportunity. 

IMO a good CEO needs to do his work in the background and let the performance of the club on and off the pitch do the talking. We certainly had that in Gould and i think Alexander will be of the same ilk. 

• Like 3

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

Gould's last day was Tuesday. Alexander took over on Wednesday. Handover has basically been going on for the last two weeks.

Knew he had already been here for a few weeks, but had missed when Goulds last day was.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Gould gave an interview when he started. 

Don't really care about what it says but it's about the fans getting to know about the person who's now pretty much running the club. 

Even Pearson dodged the question about him in the press conference.

Maybe he doesn't exist, its actually Jon Lansdown taking over.

Edited by DaveF

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Gould gave an interview when he started. 

Don't really care about what it says but it's about the fans getting to know about the person who's now pretty much running the club. 

Even Pearson dodged the question about him in the press conference.

I didn’t think Pearson dodged the Q - more a question of him focusing on Gould’s time here (he loved working with him). Also not convinced Pearson could really say much about his new boss less than two days in! 

• Like 2

I suspect it's partly down to the timings of this month. We had a busy transfer deadline day, spent the following day getting content/interviews with the new players and then Thursday for focus on the weekend's game.

They wouldn't want to put too much content out at once, especially in areas which are likely very popular uploads.

I suspect we might get something early next week once the game is out of the way and people have the "bandwidth" for new content. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

It is a bit strange but it’s a welcome change from having to listen to that jumped up bellend Ashton spinning us yarns at every opportunity. 

IMO a good CEO needs to do his work in the background and let the performance of the club on and off the pitch do the talking. We certainly had that in Gould and i think Alexander will be of the same ilk. 

My thoughts are that we have a structure that means the CEO doesn’t need to be that vocal re the football side of things.

Ashton made it all about him.

Gould changed that, and then with appointment of Tinnion, needs to be less “out there”.  The three of them at the Fans Forum was just before Tins promotion, and sewed the seeds of Nige / Tins being the football face.

As @ExiledAjaxsays PA will communicate when it’s appropriate.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I suspect it's partly down to the timings of this month. We had a busy transfer deadline day, spent the following day getting content/interviews with the new players and then Thursday for focus on the weekend's game.

They wouldn't want to put too much content out at once, especially in areas which are likely very popular uploads.

I suspect we might get something early next week once the game is out of the way and people have the "bandwidth" for new content. 

Add to that the cup draw. Games like that don’t just “happen”. Even after the TV companies confirm they want the game there will be loads of logistics stuff Alexander is involved in on top of the deadline day etc. He’s probably working ridiculous hours this week.

The interview requirement is firmly at the bottom of the in tray. Even the OP, who asked where it was, said later he didn’t care about what it said so it’s being treated with the priority deserved.

45 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Some fans are still too used to Mark Ashton coming out and waxing lyrical about the 'behind the scenes' goings on at Ashton Gate.

A quiet operator who does his job well is all that's needed.

So, you’re saying there’s no need to ask, he’s a smooth operator?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Why no interview so far? 

He's been in the building for a few weeks and has now taken over but nothing so far? 

Good . I don’t want to hear from the CEO. He’s the money man . Only interviews I want to see are from our newly appointed technical director when needed & the manager 

I know Phil professionally and his role at Palace was very different to position he is taking on here. At Palace, he wasn't a traditional CEO as Steve Parish as Chairmen and Dougie Freedman as Sporting Director were more responsible for the football operations and dealing with transfers etc. In the earlier years of his long spell at the club he had more of an impact whilst towards the end of his tenure it was primarily commercial and almost an ambassadorial position. He was a member of the FA Council and sat on the FA's Professional Game Board.

He is (perhaps thankfully) very different from Ashton and, like Richard Gould, won't want the spotlight. He is more old school in the way he works and how he wants the team around him to function. He has excellent connections within the game and is very well respected by others who are high up in the game. Phil is good with the fans, very amiable and will have no problem in stopping for a chat. It will be interesting to see how he operates here having full control of the footballing side of things, something he hasn't done for quite a while but I do feel he is well placed to run a club which is trying to live within its means. 

Edited by Coppello
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 8
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Coppello said:

I know Phil professionally and his role at Palace was very different to position he is taking on here. At Palace, he wasn't a traditional CEO as Steve Parish as Chairmen and Dougie Freedman as Sporting Director were more responsible for the football operations and dealing with transfers etc. In the earlier years of his long spell at the club he had more of an impact whilst towards the end of his tenure it was primarily commercial and almost an ambassadorial position. He was a member of the FA Council and sat on the FA's Professional Game Board.

He is (perhaps thankfully) very different from Ashton and, like Richard Gould, won't want the spotlight. He is more old school in the way he works and how he wants the team around him to function. He has excellent connections within the game and is very well respected by others who are high up in the game. Phil is good with the fans, very amicable and will have no problem in stopping for a chat. It will be interesting to see how he operates here having full control of the footballing side of things, something he hasn't done for quite a while but I do feel he is well placed to run a club which is trying to live within its means. 

Was wondering whether you’d post anything!!!

I looked back, and it’s a year since your last post.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Was wondering whether you’d post anything!!!

I looked back, and it’s a year since your last post.

Haha, thanks for noticing! Over the last year or so, I've found myself getting a bit 'footballed out' so have taken a bit of time out from the forum. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Coppello said:

He is (perhaps thankfully) very different from Ashton and, like Richard Gould, won't want the spotlight. He is more old school in the way he works and how he wants the team around him to function. He has excellent connections within the game and is very well respected by others who are high up in the game. Phil is good with the fans, very amiable and will have no problem in stopping for a chat. It will be interesting to see how he operates here having full control of the footballing side of things, something he hasn't done for quite a while but I do feel he is well placed to run a club which is trying to live within its means. 

Completely corroborates my first impression of him from the short chat we had. He came across as old school but sensible, open, and in the mould of Gould. Thanks for sharing (and welcome back).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Coppello said:

Brilliant. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully not too probing….do you think he applied for the job or was approached?