IGNORED

Christian Atsu

Silvio Dante

6 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

After the horrific news of the earthquake in Türkiye overnight, it’s being reported that Christian Atsu - formerly Everton, Chelsea, Newcastle is among those unaccounted for and trapped in the rubble.

Played for Hatayspor yesterday.

He played for them yesterday, scoring a last minute free kick winner for them. Went to bed last night most likely thinking ‘today has been a good day’. Thoughts go out to everyone effected by this.

Am i the only one that this sits uncomfirtably with? So many people have been injured, missing or have died in this tragedy but because he's a footballer and used to play in the PL he gets his own article - a bit like he is getting special 'celebrity status' attention.

It feels distastful and disrespectful to so many others impacted.

Not singling out OTIB as its the same over on the BBC.

Don't get me wrong, i'm pleased he's been rescued and is safe - as with many others they are rescuing.

Edited by Loco Rojo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Loco Rojo said:

Am i the only one that this sits uncomfirtably with? So many people have been injured, missing or have died in this tragedy but because he's a footballer and used to play in the PL he gets his own article - a bit like he is getting special 'celebrity status' attention.

It feels distastful and disrespectful to so many others impacted.

Not singling out OTIB as its the same over on the BBC.

Don't get me wrong, i'm pleased he's been rescued and is safe - as with many others they are rescuing.

I get totally what you’re saying and don’t inherently disagree. The way I see it is this:

- Things like this shouldn’t need an angle - but do. Any culture is predisposed to relate more to both places they are familiar with and people who share their culture. It’s why shootings in America make the news at a higher level than a shooting in the Middle East.

- You, I, and I hope everyone on this thread can only imagine the horror the Syrians and Turks are going through. However, for a large number of people it won’t even feature on their radar, or they’ll dismiss it as something happening miles away and if no bearing on their lives. When you tie it to someone who they are familiar with it garners attention of people it wouldn’t - and that has to be a good thing.

No doubt his life is not worth more or less than anyone else’s caught up in this, but because of who he is it’s naturally publicised and the outcome is more good than bad 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Very sad news to hear his body has been recovered. Awful news. RIP

Very sad indeed. Christian Atsu has been found dead under the rubble of his home almost two weeks after the Turkey earthquake, his agent has confirmed.

The Ghana international, 31, had spells with Premier League sides Everton, Chelsea and Newcastle.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64687384

All of the deaths from this earthquake are sad especially because it appears that the Turkish government (*) has acted, or not acted, in ensuring that building regulations for an earthquake area, have  been followed.

(*) I haven't mentioned Syria because they do not purport to be a democratic country and don't have any respect at all for any of their citizens outside of the non democratic ruling government elite propped up by Putin.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 3