IGNORED

Cornick vs Weimann

Dullmoan Tone

6 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I think he tried to hit the shot too hard and as a result it was in the air so keeper got to it.

A slight shuffle sideways and shoot on the ground would have given him and us a goal. Euell and possibly Wells, will help him to improve.

What I didn't understand is why he didn't play it across to Mehmeti who had positioned himself perfectly. Had he made that pass it would have been harder for Mehmeti to miss than score. 

When he signed Pearson said that he believes he can become a better player by becoming fitter. With the facilities we have and the staff we are able to take players like him from clubs like Luton and give them a level of fitness they've never had before. 

This is probably one of the fittest Bristol City teams I have ever seen. That's the Nigel Pearson way. 

The shot he missed? Home debut so can't really criticise the miss. 

12 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

We know Weimann can also do this - I hope Cornick has something extra in his tool box?

Nowhere near Weimann,,a long way off being in the same class -

Plenty of time for him to work on getting to the standard required & he will have to step to the plate...

Needs a full pre season with us.

Edited by Son of Fred

13 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Now I'm not writing anyone off after two appearances as sub after we've won, but Cornick is obviously coming on ahead of Weimann - who has shown he is very assured on the ball and a calm finisher, I know everyone misses chances, but in my opinion Cornick should have done much better late on.

But, more worringly, was I imagining it, or was Cornick really blowing by the 90th minute?

Don’t forget Weimann is coming back from injury and we have three games this week. It may be about managing Weimann’s fitness as well as Cornick’s.

Plus Weimann can play in four different positions in our current set up so I don’t see him as only being competition for one player.

8 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

When he signed Pearson said that he believes he can become a better player by becoming fitter. With the facilities we have and the staff we are able to take players like him from clubs like Luton and give them a level of fitness they've never had before. 

This is probably one of the fittest Bristol City teams I have ever seen. That's the Nigel Pearson way. 

The shot he missed? Home debut so can't really criticise the miss. 

I might be wrong but I thought NP said they could make Cornick 'stronger', not 'fitter'. I was under the impression that natural fitness is Cornick's strength.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Spike said:

What I didn't understand is why he didn't play it across to Mehmeti who had positioned himself perfectly. Had he made that pass it would have been harder for Mehmeti to miss than score. 

I will forgive him this. Score on your home debut and you are an instant hit. I guess the temptation was too much for him, understandably. 

We seem to play very much a team game, they all defend and they all attack. He will soon settle and work for the team.

Just want to say i love the fast, attacking play we have had since Xmas. I have no problem with Martin and glad he is scoring elsewhere, but my God he slowed us down too much at times. Wells in particular has been a revelation when working with first Conway, now Bell and now adding Sykes in the mix it's exciting times!

Cornick can play anywhere across the front three, is fairly quick, and from all accounts a hard worker.

All it takes is Sykes or Sykes getting a knock and he's starting. Same with Mehmeti if Bell gets a knock. You then have Weim

It's, for me, about options. Cornick may not be as clinical as Andi (who for me before his injury struggled slightly), but he's very similar to Baldock albeit not quite as fast - but then better aerially. Baldock also used to be awful at 1v1s, then got a bit of confidence and started bagging them.

Compare that with CM - one position, no versatility, lack of mobility. Add that to the way we play and a lack of depth, and it's a very straight forward signing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Don’t forget Weimann is coming back from injury and we have three games this week. It may be about managing Weimann’s fitness as well as Cornick’s.

Plus Weimann can play in four different positions in our current set up so I don’t see him as only being competition for one player.

Also he is now Captain so I would assume penciled in for regular starts when fitness allows.

34 minutes ago, mozo said:

I might be wrong but I thought NP said they could make Cornick 'stronger', not 'fitter'. I was under the impression that natural fitness is Cornick's strength.

Yep, think it was “we can improve him”…and he wasn’t talking fitness.  He has a slightly unusual running gate, but he covers the ground quickly.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mozo said:

Pearson was up front in saying that Cornick is primarily an option for the central position of the three, so absolutely in competition with Wells, but not necessarily Weimann, however much they may seem similar in their skillset.

Incidentally Nige also highlighted aerial ability as one if Cornick's strengths which wasn't at all evident when he came in today (centre back was winning the header every time).

I think Cornick and Wells will be in close competition from now on.

By the way... who was skipper today?

It isn't always about winning the ball in the air.  I thought he made an impact on their 2 CBs.  They had been used to Wells running in behind and Cornick went up against them physically.  This meant that we subsequently pressed better than before as they weren't able to clear their lines.   Pure guesswork on my part,  but his role could be to be primary nuisance with the likes of Weimann, Scott, Sykes, Bell pressing off the back of that.  He's not going to be a goal machine though.  Hopefully our finishing drills will result in him getting better.  It wasn't a great finish to that chance yesterday

Edited by The Bard
sp
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, The Bard said:

It isn't always about winning the ball in the air.  I thought he made an impact on their 2 CBs.  They had been used to Wells running in behind and Cornick went up against them physically.  This meant that we subsequently pressed better than before as they weren't able to clear their lines.   Pure guesswork on my part,  but his role could be to be primary nuisance with the likes of Weimann, Scott, Sykes, Bell pressing off the back of that.  He's not going to be a goal machine though.  Hopefully are finishing drills will result in him getting better.  It wasn't a great finish to that chance yesterday

Really good point.  We saw last week how we allowed PNE CBs to ping unpressured diags.  Cornick can disrupt that.

• Like 1