IGNORED

Cornick vs Weimann

Dullmoan Tone

Now I'm not writing anyone off after two appearances as sub after we've won, but Cornick is obviously coming on ahead of Weimann - who has shown he is very assured on the ball and a calm finisher, I know everyone misses chances, but in my opinion Cornick should have done much better late on.

But, more worringly, was I imagining it, or was Cornick really blowing by the 90th minute?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Now I'm not writing anyone off after two appearances as sub after we've won, but Cornick is obviously coming on ahead of Weimann - who has shown he is very assured on the ball and a calm finisher, I know everyone misses chances, but in my opinion Cornick should have done much better late on.

But, more worringly, was I imagining it, or was Cornick really blowing by the 90th minute?

He did look shattered towards the end. I noticed Pearson and Fleming were yelling instructions at him towards the end to close down, you could see he was trying but his legs looked a little gone in added time.

Early days and as @Super says he doesn’t look like he has played much football of late. Hopefully he fitness will improve in the coming weeks.

7 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Maybe but at least he hit the target,he has hardly played this season so will be blowing,get the minutes into him and he will be another solid player for us 

• Like 4

Pearson was up front in saying that Cornick is primarily an option for the central position of the three, so absolutely in competition with Wells, but not necessarily Weimann, however much they may seem similar in their skillset.

Incidentally Nige also highlighted aerial ability as one if Cornick's strengths which wasn't at all evident when he came in today (centre back was winning the header every time).

I think Cornick and Wells will be in close competition from now on.

By the way... who was skipper today?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

Pearson was up front in saying that Cornick is primarily an option for the central position of the three, so absolutely in competition with Wells, but not necessarily Weimann, however much they may seem similar in their skillset.

Incidentally Nige also highlighted aerial ability as one if Cornick's strengths which wasn't at all evident when he came in today (centre back was winning the header every time).

Matty James?

7 minutes ago, mozo said:

He also said HC has to get a bit fitter.

8 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think Cornick and Wells will be in close competition from now on

That would be a shame imo, Wells has to be our first striker on the team sheet, for me it's no co-incidence that he (and first Conway, now Bell) have started closing down at the top - just like Bobby and Jamie did in our last successful year.

We know Weimann can also do this - I hope Cornick has something extra in his tool box?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

A Luton friend of mine said to me when we signed him "He's not good 1v1 in front of goal situations, but will score goals from nothing'

3 minutes ago, chowie said:

A Luton friend of mine said to me when we signed him "He's not good 1v1 in front of goal situations, but will score goals from nothing'

There was an interview shared on here when he signed where Cornick himself said he used to have a mental block with 1v1s then overcame it. 

He fluffed it today and I thought that we might rue that missed chance. Hopefully he bags his next chance.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, chowie said:

I think he tried to hit the shot too hard and as a result it was in the air so keeper got to it.

A slight shuffle sideways and shoot on the ground would have given him and us a goal. Euell and possibly Wells, will help him to improve.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Blowing ? Did you see the amount of running he did in the time he was on? Bloke worked his socks off running from left to right. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, nickolas said:

Pearson has already said they’ll get him fitter, so obviously they think he needs to improve! But he did look a little laboured! ?

Think at the moment until he's fitter it's all about getting those minutes into him. 

16 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

That would be a shame imo, Wells has to be our first striker on the team sheet, for me it's no co-incidence that he (and first Conway, now Bell) have started closing down at the top - just like Bobby and Jamie did in our last successful year.

We know Weimann can also do this - I hope Cornick has something extra in his tool box?

It's the work that Wells does but not necessarily scoring the goals that has helped our overall performance so I agree it would be a shame if he is dropped . I prefer him as a starter and be subbed on the hour mark rather than be the one to come on.

• Like 1

Cornick’s 1v1 today was one of those typical ones you see a helluva lot - where the striker simply has too much time and can’t make their mind up. 

He had literally every option available. 
Square pass to Mehmeti. Low to keepers left. Low to keepers right. Low through the legs. High to the left. High to the right. Draw the keeper and take it past him. 
He ended up putting it straight at him. To be fair to the keeper he stood up big but ultimately this should’ve been a goal. 

Just one of those with too much time and too many options. And he chose the only one which would fail. 
Give him his dues for the rest of his game today though - certainly put a shift in and a couple of lovely little flicks to put team mates through. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Harry said:

Cornick’s 1v1 today was one of those typical ones you see a helluva lot - where the striker simply has too much time and can’t make their mind up. 

He had literally every option available. 
Square pass to Mehmeti. Low to keepers left. Low to keepers right. Low through the legs. High to the left. High to the right. Draw the keeper and take it past him. 
He ended up putting it straight at him. To be fair to the keeper he stood up big but ultimately this should’ve been a goal. 

Just one of those with too much time and too many options. And he chose the only one which would fail. 
Give him his dues for the rest of his game today though - certainly put a shift in and a couple of lovely little flicks to put team mates through. 

And it’s not easy to come on and get up to match speed…it was a pretty high tempo game throughout.  He worked bloody hard, and that’s what we needed.  The added benefit is that Nahki got 30 mins off, so will be raring to go Wednesday, ditto Belly.  Cornick still gave Hanley a tough time.  You don’t always have to win the header, just challenge and hopefully your teammates pick up the bits.

Totally agree about having a lot of time on that chance too.

• Like 2

Thought he looked good today when he came on. Quite a few intelligent little touches which I think players like Scott, Sykes, and Mehmeti will enjoy being around - especially as he's only just arrived so not got that awareness of the type of runs they'll make and when.

His 1v1 was really poor but he got himself in the position in the first place so I'm not going to judge him just based off that, it happens.