7. James - £0 (free agent)
  8. Sykes - £0 (free agent)
  9. Scott - £0 (youth)
  10. Bell - £0 (youth)
  11. Wells - £4.75m
  12. Mehmeti - £5m
  13. Cornick - "low six figures", lets call it £300k
  14. Weimann - £2m

£14.7m and yet, we're no better than them. We're no younger than them. We're 3 points apart in the table. 

I still can't quite get my head around how much money we've wasted on flops like Rashica and Tzolis, and how heads haven't rolled for it. The fees for those two alone exceed the amount transacted for Bristol City's entire squad.

Begs the question really, are we one of the most expensive mid-table sides in Championship history?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, johnbytheriver said:
  16 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Bristol City

1. O'Leary - £0 (youth)
  2. Tanner - £300k
  3. Atkinson - £1.6m
  4. Vyner - £0 (youth)
  5. Pring - £0 (youth)
  6. Williams - £725k
  9. Scott - £0 (youth)
  10. Bell - £0 (youth)
  11. Wells - £4.75m
  12. Mehmeti - £5m
  14. Weimann - £2m

£14.7m and yet, we're no better than them. We're no younger than them. We're 3 points apart in the table. 

I still can't quite get my head around how much money we've wasted on flops like Rashica and Tzolis, and how heads haven't rolled for it. The fees for those two alone exceed the amount transacted for Bristol City's entire squad.

Begs the question really, are we one of the most expensive mid-table sides in Championship history?

I saw this yesterday and gave up reading when they quoted £5 million for Mehmeti.

Probably inflated as he was once on Norwich’s books?

16 minutes ago, johnbytheriver said:

Bristol City

1. O'Leary - £0 (youth)
  2. Tanner - £300k
  3. Atkinson - £1.6m
  4. Vyner - £0 (youth)
  5. Pring - £0 (youth)
  6. Williams - £725k - £1.2m
  9. Scott - £0 (youth)
  10. Bell - £0 (youth)
  11. Wells - £4.75m
  12. Mehmeti - £5m - £1m
  14. Weimann - £2m - but resigned as a free agent for £0 and lower wages
  15. Kalas - £8m - but played only 6 minutes

£14.7m £17m ish (£9m if you don't count Kalas) and yet, we're no better than them. We're no younger than them. We're 3 points apart in the table. 

It's more like as above. But yeh, it's a cheap squad.

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Why does everyone say £1m for Mehmeti as if it’s a fact? Unless I’ve missed something.  Only saw rumours of a release clause of that amount 

You could say that about all the fees though right? We haven't officially disclosed a fee in years. Even Kalas was announced as simply a "club record fee".

Yeh I've heard the same rumours re Mehmeti. I also choose to believe his fee was closer to £1m than £5m as I don't think we were in a financial/FFP position to be spending £5m, but £1m was just about affordable.

Edited by ExiledAjax

37 minutes ago, johnbytheriver said:

Bristol City

1. O'Leary - £0 (youth)
  2. Tanner - £300k
  3. Atkinson - £1.6m
  4. Vyner - £0 (youth)
  5. Pring - £0 (youth)
  6. Williams - £725k
  9. Scott - £0 (youth)
  10. Bell - £0 (youth)
  11. Wells - £4.75m
  12. Mehmeti - £5m
  14. Weimann - £2m

£5m for mehmeti ??????? no chance . 

16 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

You could say that about all the fees though right? We haven't officially disclosed a fee in years. Even Kalas was announced as simply a "club record fee".

Yeh I've heard the same rumours re Mehmeti. I also choose to believe his fee was closer to £1m than £5m as I don't think we were in a financial/FFP position to be spending £5m, but £1m was just about affordable.

I read somewhere it was closer to £1.6-1.7m. Agreed it was not anywhere near £5m.  

• Like 1

You can never be sure with transfer fees as a lot of the money swilling around in football has always been off the books. i.e. bungs, brown envelopes or paid through offshore tax havens that neither HMRC or the football authorites officially know anything about (well they do know but can't prove or turn a blind eye to).

• Like 1

Interesting that clubs like Norwich are looking at us (after 1 result) in the same way we’ve looked at other clubs that are absolutely punching considering the money they’ve had to spend.

The current squad breaks down into 3 groups, the old world signings (Wells, Williams & Kalas), the ex-academy players (too many to name) and the new world signings (Tanner, Atkinson, Cornick, Mehmeti and the freebies) - the model for new world signings, where Atkinson is probably the most expensive transfer, are what we’ve been better at historically.

I think Williams was a bargain at the time but was £2.5m+ iirc? I would expect the higher wages to be in that group of old world signings; which makes this more impressive given how small that group now is.

I get what posters are saying about all fees being undisclosed so you can never really tell, but the accounts add up to estimates, when you look at the ‘profit on disposal‘, ‘amortisation’ and fees paid in the years affected.

This is how fans have come to the conclusion Massengo was closer to £2-3m than £7-8m.

This feels like the back end of a transition in the club. Hopefully these are the shoots of recovery because that would mean there’s a whole lot more to come!

Worth keeping our feet on the ground, but for once we’ve played well and won against a good team littered with talent. How they played doesn’t really matter when the result was a City win.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, johnbytheriver said:

Bristol City

1. O'Leary - £0 (youth)
  2. Tanner - £300k
  3. Atkinson - £1.6m
  4. Vyner - £0 (youth)
  5. Pring - £0 (youth)
  6. Williams - £725k
  9. Scott - £0 (youth)
  10. Bell - £0 (youth)
  11. Wells - £4.75m
  12. Mehmeti - £5m
  14. Weimann - £2m

All this highlights is the hugely inflated prices now being paid for bog standard players in the Premie League.

Norwich are no different to many other championship clubs that have fallen out of the Prem and have flopped or haven’t bounced back straight away. Stoke being a pretty good example of that in recent years.

Norwich fans have clearly gotten used to relegation and the almost guaranteed walk in the park the next season in the championship but it hasn’t obviously worked for them this season. Naive of them to think it’s just some sort of given that they will walk this division each time they are relegated, it’s a tough league and not all players are up to it irrespective of how much they cost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

You can never be sure with transfer fees as a lot of the money swilling around in football has always been off the books. i.e. bungs, brown envelopes or paid through offshore tax havens that neither HMRC or the football authorites officially know anything about (well they do know but can't prove or turn a blind eye to).

That relates more to remuneration IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Always Believesham said:

I think Williams was a bargain at the time but was £2.5m+ iirc?

Apologies for cherry picking, but I think Williams was probably half of that. Wigan were a financial mess and had just been relegated and they had a bit of a firesale. £1.2M is the figure I always thought.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, awbb said:

Apologies for cherry picking, but I think Williams was probably half of that. Wigan were a financial mess and had just been relegated and they had a bit of a firesale. £1.2M is the figure I always thought.

Correct. Figure that I recall from the times was £1m. As Wigan fans were furious he went that cheap.

3 hours ago, johnbytheriver said:

Bristol City

1. O'Leary - £0 (Youth)
  2. Tanner - £300k
  3. Atkinson - £1.8m
  4. Vyner - £0 (Youth)
  5. Pring - £0 (Youth)
  6. Williams - £1m
  9. Scott - £0 (Youth)
  10. Bell - £0 (Youth)
  11. Wells - £4m
  12. Mehmeti - £1.2m
  13. Cornick - £300k
  14. Weimann - £0 (Resigned)
  15. DaSilva - £2m
  16. King - £0 (Free Agent)
  17. Kalas - £8m
  18. Haikin - £0 (Free Agent)

Doesn't just put Norwich's recruitment into Context, as the three most expensive players are by far LJs, one of which started.

Edited by Fuber

What did make me laugh on their forum was a post comparing it to an FA cup upset and saying see where we are at the end of the season.

I was shocked when I looked at the league table to then discover that we were all the way back (checks notes) 3 points behind them…..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Always thought Williams cost about £2m.

Mehmeti? Maybe £1.5-1.7m? He had a buyout clause iirc.

Williams was £1.2m, it was reported by The Athletic at the time, Wigan had a fire sale following relegation.

Holden’s only big signing financially.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Always thought Williams cost about £2m.

Mehmeti? Maybe £1.5-1.7m? He had a buyout clause iirc.

£1.25m.  Wigan Administrator Paul Stanley confirmed it.  Can’t get any better ITK for that.

As for Mehmeti, he made was initially signed for their development side, and was progressing nicely when he signed an extension in Nov 2021 having got his first goals of the season (3 in 2).  I don’t think Wycombe can slap a big release clause on a player at that point.  He hadn’t hit the heights / level of importance as he did this season to justify.  I’m sure Ainsworth was trying to put any suitors off the scent that there might be a release clause by suggesting “he’s gotta be worth £4-5m”.

The consensus is that the release clause was a sensible £1m.  But we will never know.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

£1.25m.  Wigan Administrator Paul Stanley confirmed it.  Can’t get any better ITK for that.

As for Mehmeti, he made was initially signed for their development side, and was progressing nicely when he signed an extension in Nov 2021 having got his first goals of the season (3 in 2).  I don’t think Wycombe can slap a big release clause on a player at that point.  He hadn’t hit the heights / level of importance as he did this season to justify.  I’m sure Ainsworth was trying to put any suitors off the scent that there might be a release clause by suggesting “he’s gotta be worth £4-5m”.

The consensus is that the release clause was a sensible £1m.  But we will never know.

Interesting mini battle he had with Arrons yesterday.

You can definitely see why the top teams passed on Arrons. Good technically, but very little end product.

As for Mehmetti, he's definitely one who's going to be fouled repeatedly. Big jump for him up to the Championship, but he has something about him for sure.

23 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Interesting mini battle he had with Arrons yesterday.

You can definitely see why the top teams passed on Arrons. Good technically, but very little end product.

As for Mehmetti, he's definitely one who's going to be fouled repeatedly. Big jump for him up to the Championship, but he has something about him for sure.

He has played Championship level, all be it before he started blossoming.