IGNORED

Hall of Fame class of 2022/23 - the next inductee is...

shahanshahan

20 hours ago, Henry said:

Isn’t @Robbored a member?

Could we ask Johnson to re-enact his finest moment and hand @Robbored balls on a plate to him?

What have the two ladies gone to be in Bristol City’s hall of fame?

Link is in the thread, but here it is anyway;

https://www.bristolcitysupporters.org/hall-of-fame-2022-23-first-inductees-announced/

Well deserved imo.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Henry said:

Nope. Someone in their 20s asking a question.

And it’s a valid question to ask I think. Despite the support it’s starting to gain, women’s football is still relatively small in profile compared to the men’s game.

This hall of fame initiative is great, but it seems to imply the achievements of the WFC inductees are of equal significance to Bristol City to the men’s inductees. With the best will in the world, that’s simply not the case yet IMO because of the relative profile of the women’s team.

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, richwwtk said:

If you read it the reasons for them being inducted are explained, I'm guessing that your curmudgeoness over this is perhaps related to you both being of pensionable age?

You could be on to something there, or maybe just ignorance ? 

:yawn:

15 minutes ago, frenchred said:

They have done nothing more than hundreds of bcfc mens players, as I said just a tick in the box

"Yorston & Dykes were part of the teams which reached two FA Cup Finals in 2011 and 2013, and narrowly missed out on the FA WSL title in 2013. In the 2011/12 and 2013/14 seasons they played in the UEFA Champions League – memorably beating Barcelona at Ashton Gate to reach the quarter-finals in 2014.

Yorston also has six senior England caps to her name, and continues to make a huge contribution to the game as the FA’s Women’s Youth Development Phase and Talent Pathway Player Insights Lead. Dykes has 105 senior Wales caps and in 2019 was awarded an MBE for services to Women football in Wales. She is currently Wales’ Assistant Coach, and is responsible for overseeing the under-17s programme."

My god, you're right, we have soooooo many players on the men's side that have achieved at least as much, sorry to have doubted you.

You may be dismissive of women's football, but they are still worthy of a place in a Hall of Fame that recognises both women's and men's football.

14 hours ago, Henry said:

Nope. Someone in their 20s asking a question.

then what makes you think they aren't worthy of being inducted?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

"Yorston & Dykes were part of the teams which reached two FA Cup Finals in 2011 and 2013, and narrowly missed out on the FA WSL title in 2013. In the 2011/12 and 2013/14 seasons they played in the UEFA Champions League – memorably beating Barcelona at Ashton Gate to reach the quarter-finals in 2014.

Yorston also has six senior England caps to her name, and continues to make a huge contribution to the game as the FA’s Women’s Youth Development Phase and Talent Pathway Player Insights Lead. Dykes has 105 senior Wales caps and in 2019 was awarded an MBE for services to Women football in Wales. She is currently Wales’ Assistant Coach, and is responsible for overseeing the under-17s programme."

My god, you're right, we have soooooo many players on the men's side that have achieved at least as much, sorry to have doubted you.

You may be dismissive of women's football, but they are still worthy of a place in a Hall of Fame that recognises both women's and men's football.

So came close to winning silver wear then?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Can't educate pork.

Just to provide a bit of balance to this outstanding debate...

The following text is taken from a site I'm sure ALL users of OTIB are familiar with, petpigworld.com

New pig owners would often ask whether their pets can be trained.

Can Pigs be trained? Just like dogs, pigs can be easily trained to learn a number of cool tricks. They can learn anything from twirling or responding when their name is called, to establishing a solid day-to-day routine.

By nature, pigs are smart, curious and friendly. This makes them easy to train.

Ideally, pig training should start as early as when you pet is still a piglet. Though adult pigs can still be taught a trick or two, by this time, they’ve most probably established routines that could be hard to break.

So yes. You can't educate pork. 

I expect a full written retraction of more care going forward. Please choose a different species to pick on. I suggest 'a fewer'. 

• Haha 4
  • Flames 1

Just now, Bristol Rob said:

The following text is taken from a site I'm sure ALL users of OTIB are familiar with, petpigworld.com

Can Pigs be trained? Just like dogs, pigs can be easily trained to learn a number of cool tricks. They can learn anything from twirling or responding when their name is called, to establishing a solid day-to-day routine.

Ideally, pig training should start as early as when you pet is still a piglet. Though adult pigs can still be taught a trick or two, by this time, they’ve most probably established routines that could be hard to break.

I expect a full written retraction of more care going forward. Please choose a different species to pick on. I suggest 'a fewer'. 

Upon reading that, I am most humbly sorry for indicating that pork can't be educated.

I'll retract it and say that mysogynists and the mean spirited cannot be educated beyond a basic level.

:yawn:

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Someone has for inducting women who have very little history in the game and won nothing and somehow getting inducted in a hall of fame!

Two FA Cup Finals, League runners up, many international caps, Champions League Quarter Finalists and you don't think they deserve it because they didn't win any of them? That is more than the men's team have managed in our entire history!

How come you're not complaining about Gary Johnson getting in?

1 minute ago, richwwtk said:

Two FA Cup Finals, League runners up, many international caps, Champions League Quarter Finalists and you don't think they deserve it because they didn't win any of them? That is more than the men's team have managed in our entire history!

Won promotion

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, richwwtk said:

GJ doesn't wear dresses.

(well, only on sundays)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

I do think that the women’s team is over represented in social media posts etc.

I completely understand the reasoning, the official social media pages have a wide reach and it’s free marketing. Obviously the club want to all the various iterations of Bristol City under one banner. 

Personally though, I feel it comes across as slightly insincere and a bit of a ‘right on’ box ticking exercise. It’s obvious there won’t be anywhere near the same level of interest in that sort of content (at the moment) as there would be in first team content or even the development sides.

I think those who don’t seem as invested, or invested at all, in the fortunes of the WFC aren’t necessarily being ignorant or sexist.. but perhaps they too feel it’s a bit over imposed relative to the interest in the WFC. Same situation here where I think it’s legitimate to question whether achievements of the two teams should be recognised in the same award.

This post isn’t intended to cause offence by the way, and I’m very open to considering other points of view, but this is my thoughts on the issue. 

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 1

Gotta be honest I have no deisre to read the whole thread, but for those wondering why some of those 'women' have been hall-of-famed owing to their lack of history and contribution to the game; can you let me know what the male players who've previously been given the same honour have done for the women's game? 

I'm sure their achievements must be many and varied to have not incurred your wrath prevously. 

17 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Despite how his tenure ended a very good choice for me. He came in with a remit to change the football side of the club top to bottom and did just that. We were so close to the Premier League which is why I take exception to the OP's comment that we failed to rise to the occasion. We list McCombe  on the eve of the final and Bradley Orr not far in which made a big difference to us. We conceded as we failed to stop a cross coming in from our right (where Orr would have been) although it took a tremendous strike nevertheless. Even then we were denied a Trundle equaliser by the thickness of Michael Turner's thigh. Hull fans I spoke were convinced we'd have won had it gone to Extra time as they were out on their feet. 

Still think Johnson made a major error in not taking Orr off sooner, but more importantly in bringing Little Lee on and moving Marvin Elliott to right back.  For me it should always have been Carey to right back and Vasko on, leaving Elliott in midfield.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

See also, Dragons.

(I'm learning shed loads today).

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Still think Johnson made a major error in not taking Orr off sooner, but more importantly in bringing Little Lee on and moving Marvin Elliott to right back.  For me it should always have been Carey to right back and Vasko on, leaving Elliott in midfield.

That's a fair and valid point. I imagine the thinking was that Eliott was never a midfielder until we converted him as prior he had always been a RB and should therefore have been comfortable there. However it backfired as haven't not played there for so long he looked rusty. While I was never a great fan of Eliott in midfield it was what the team was used to and it hurt us until we found our feet late in the game. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Gotta be honest I have no deisre to read the whole thread, but for those wondering why some of those 'women' have been hall-of-famed owing to their lack of history and contribution to the game; can you let me know what the male players who've previously been given the same honour have done for the women's game? 

I'm sure their achievements must be many and varied to have not incurred your wrath prevously. 

I think this is a straw man argument really. From what I can see, people questioning this are doing so politely and the point is obviously far more nuanced than ‘the women have achieved more than our relatively unsuccessful men’s team but I don’t want them included’ 

Edited by Phileas Fogg

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

When did I say they are not worthy?

Just now, Henry said:

When did I say they are not worthy?

I'm not sure you did, but you did ask what they had done to be inducted. If you feel that they deserve it then all well and good. If you feel they don't I would be interested to know why. @frenchredhas given us his reasons, though I am sure he knows I don't agree with him.