IGNORED

NP ahead of Wigan

Jerseybean

22 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

It’s going to be a tough game as we will have to break Wigan down with possession, completely different to the game v Norwich. 
Patience from our fans required 

Yes, a totally different set of problems for our team to overcome. How interesting it is to listen to Pearson.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

It’s going to be a tough game as we will have to break Wigan down with possession, completely different to the game v Norwich. 
Patience from our fans required 

Exactly the sort of game that City have often lost in the past…..let’s hope we maintain our standards on Weds as another three points would be brilliant ?

• Like 6

Won’t be surprised if it’s a draw.

Since Mahoney came in Wigan haven’t conceded a goal, 0-0 at Blackburn (an awful game) & 1-0 v Huddersfield.

We have done well lately but run on small numbers & three games this week is an ask.

Won’t be too shocked if Mehmeti starts, either.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Won’t be surprised if it’s a draw.

Since Mahoney came in Wigan haven’t conceded a goal, 0-0 at Blackburn (an awful game) & 1-0 v Huddersfield.

We have done well lately but run on small numbers & three games this week is an ask.

Won’t be too shocked if Mehmeti starts, either.

Nope. None of the teams at the bottom are push overs this year. They will scrap, make it difficult and get stuck in. Different type of game to Norwich. Not expecting any particular result really. Will come down to us having a bit of quality on the day to break them down. Been down in Bristol this week so unusually get to take in two home games. Was just hoping they would win at least one, so personally seeing this as a free shot. Psychologically would be nice to be in the 40s as well point wise.

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Nige suggested in todays interview that we would utilise the squad this week - do wonder if we will freshen things up front on Wednesday, with one eye on Sat away at Sunderland - Mehmeti for Bell perhaps?

AW in for Scott?

Yep, I reckon 

4 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

One of the things I’m struck by is his approach is the polar opposite to LJ’s 

NP is concerned with getting the best out of his players and wherever possible sticking with the players who are performing well and recognizes that each opponent creates unique challenges

Whereas LJ was fixated on selecting a team that he thought suited the particular opponent which led to constant changes and the weekly lottery

I know which approach I prefer! 

I also appreciate and applaud his comments on Saturday and again here about not allowing people/teams to be comfortable at AG paraphrasing for far too long we’ve been a soft-touch and too nice.

Nige is impressive and the kinda of guy I’d want to be alongside the trenches. He’s a natural leader and well respected wherever he’s been. I like the way he communicates, open and candid and within 18 months he’s got the entire club adopting a positive attitude and recent form shows that he’s got the team playing well.

• Like 5

This game is not going to be easy at all. However much you tell yourself as a player to focus / keep concentrating your focus won’t quite be the same as if your playing a top team , you will take that extra touch , dwell on the ball for that extra second be 1 % of your normal game . This game will tell us in my opinion if we have not just turned the corner but are half way up the street as well . Come on city - big game this .

crowd participation will be needed in this one , patience and good noise / backing 

• Like 4

Just now, redkev said:

This game is not going to be easy at all. However much you tell yourself as a player to focus / keep concentrating your focus won’t quite be the same as if your playing a top team , you will take that extra touch , dwell on the ball for that extra second be 1 % of your normal game . This game will tell us in my opinion if we have not just turned the corner but are half way up the street as well . Come on city - big game this .

crowd participation will be needed in this one , patience and good noise / backing 

Agreed - see Wednesday’s game as a big “litmus” test for us….come on City, let’s do it! ?

• Robin 1

1 minute ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

I hope so mate. However I remember us being in their position many times in this league and managing to get results out of teams in similar or better form than we are in now.

Ye anything can happen! I just have that Gary Johnson era confidence at the moment especially at home?  hoping the crowd is as good as it was Saturday 

• Like 1

Wigan have come very quickly from a squad of players that expected to be relegated to a side that now have bit of belief but also will feel that on Wednesday evening they have nothing to lose so  will give it a right go.

I have followed Maloney’s coaching career with interest as a fellow Scot, he was the assistant manager of Belgium for a good few years and whilst he was sacked by Hibs after a very short period there, I think he knows his stuff.

He was also a Wigan player so I suspect the club matters to him.

As we all know football has a nasty habit of giving you a kick in the bullocks when you least expect it, I think it’s going to be a tough game and our attitude needs to be spot on.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

Nige suggested in todays interview that we would utilise the squad this week - do wonder if we will freshen things up front on Wednesday, with one eye on Sat away at Sunderland - Mehmeti for Bell perhaps?

AW in for Scott?

I think it’ll be exactly that, possibly plus King for Williams depending on whether Williams can play three games in a week

9 hours ago, johnheadbcfc said:

Ye anything can happen! I just have that Gary Johnson era confidence at the moment especially at home?  hoping the crowd is as good as it was Saturday 

Numbers at least will probably be well down.  Half term, Wigan won’t bring many plus Man City v Arsenal is on Amazon at the same time.  Just means the rest of us will have to make twice as much noise.  

34 minutes ago, TinMan's left peg said:

Numbers at least will probably be well down.  Half term, Wigan won’t bring many plus Man City v Arsenal is on Amazon at the same time.  Just means the rest of us will have to make twice as much noise.  

Sort excuses the fewers make. Half term should mean more kids there. If your a city fan why would you care about Man City v arsenal 

• Like 7

13 hours ago, johnheadbcfc said:

Well they will be in for a shock when they get spanked on Wednesday ?

The big plus for me was that we were at Norwich non stop.  Didn't give them much time on the ball and when they threatened our goal, our pads tackled like crazy. Don't much about Wigan but if we start fast and keep going, using fresh subs who will work their socks off, Wigan will find it an uncomfortable evening.

3 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Sort excuses the fewers make. Half term should mean more kids there. If your a city fan why would you care about Man City v arsenal 

Fair comment, I agree and will be there but I’m pretty sure there’ll be many less than the Norwich match (forgot to add no mates rates tickets too).  

10 minutes ago, TinMan's left peg said:

Fair comment, I agree and will be there but I’m pretty sure there’ll be many less than the Norwich match (forgot to add no mates rates tickets too).  

About 4000 less I recon, its been an expensive time recently being a City fan what with the cup matches, fair few going to Sunderland, Cardiff sold out, if you are picking and choosing games the Wigan match is probably one you would give a miss.

At present, it's enjoyable heading to AG and this month the mileage will be racked up big time. A 200 mile round trip started to take its toll at times last season, and our patch of form in November and December.

That said, plenty to look forward to with home games a plenty, including the Man City cup tie and also Cardiff away. I'm excited about Wigan, and hope we get the same support going as we had on Saturday. I brought a friend who had never been to Ashton Gate, and was blown away by it. Genuinely makes you feel proud of what we have, and dare I say it, sometimes take for granted. 

Makes me so happy that in an area that we live, where Reading, Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool and the current craze, PSG kits are a plenty, my 8 year old son proudly wears his Bristol City kit both at football training and when out in general.

Being half term, he's allowed a mid-week away game for a change, albeit even the wife has allowed him to come to the Man City game. I pity his teachers the following morning, after a 12am bedtime!

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I think I'm right in saying that they've scored the most from corners in the division.

We defended the set pieces against Norwich very well, so more of the same needed.

19 hours ago, Robbored said:

Nige is impressive and the kinda of guy I’d want to be alongside the trenches. He’s a natural leader and well respected wherever he’s been. I like the way he communicates, open and candid and within 18 months he’s got the entire club adopting a positive attitude and recent form shows that he’s got the team playing well.

and as he said for the fans as much as the players themselves a 'team to be proud of'. 

20 hours ago, Robbored said:

Depends which year. If it were the start of 1916, you’d be suffering trench foot and he’d be the miserable so-and-so saying, ‘let’s be realistic, it’ll be another two years before we can turn this round. We might get the Americans in but, realistically, we don’t have any money.’

• Haha 1