IGNORED

Matty James floating set pieces

Vidal

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

It's odd, I agree in having the pace but even those slower crosses from set plays were an improvement on Naismiths corners haha. We do need a player who can deliver a good set piece, makes a massive difference to have that consistency. 

Yes, frustrating that Naismith rarely appears able to get a corner past the first defender.  However, free kicks - especially from the positions we won quite a few of this evening - have been a different matter and I think we missed them hugely this evening. 

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Yes, frustrating that Naismith rarely appears able to get a corner past the first defender.  However, free kicks - especially from the positions we won quite a few of this evening - have been a different matter and I think we missed them hugely this evening. 

Compare the Wigan dead ball delivery with ours and it was chalk and cheese. We haven’t got anybody who can take a decent corner or free kick. James - hopeless; Scott - inconsistent; Naismith - woeful. It’s not even the hardest thing to practice. Such a waste of good opportunities because of the poor delivery.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vidal said:

Are utter dross, whip it in at pace is what scares defences not these little toothless sand wedges. Do not look threatening in the slightest. 

Spot on.  So easy to defend against.  Remember how good we were under Cotts from corners and free kicks.  Naismith has the ability to put in a good cross but has been inconsistent.  

3 hours ago, Vidal said:

Are utter dross, whip it in at pace is what scares defences not these little toothless sand wedges. Do not look threatening in the slightest. 

You don’t seem to be a fan of Matty James do you?

3 hours ago, Spike said:

It's odd, I agree in having the pace but even those slower crosses from set plays were an improvement on Naismiths corners haha. We do need a player who can deliver a good set piece, makes a massive difference to have that consistency. 

It’s an interesting one.

Try to hit pacy ones with little margin for error?

Try to his slower ones that our guys can judge the flight better and atrack…albeit so can opposition?

Work to do admittedly!

8 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I thought his set pieces were 6/10 yesterday.

?

Me too, mixed bag.

There are some on here who really have it in for James & as soon as we don’t win, can’t wait to criticise him.

He’s been instrumental in our better form but haters gotta hate.

On a tangent, one poor clearance aside (Wigan hit the bar as a result) I thought that was one of Joe Williams’ best games for us, whether he was proving a point against a former team, in a good place or trying to ensure he stays in the side when Naismith returns, I thought he was our best player last night.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

You don’t seem to be a fan of Matty James do you?

It’s an interesting one.

Try to hit pacy ones with little margin for error?

Try to his slower ones that our guys can judge the flight better and atrack…albeit so can opposition?

Work to do admittedly!

I think he is a solid championship player, we are better with him in the side but don’t think he is a top 6 player.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Vidal said:

Pring, Atkinson, Kalas, Cornick, Scott, Naismith.

Seriously?

Pring has less than a full season of starts at this level & has done really well of late, but bit early to make that type of claim.

I like Atkinson & think his career is on an upward trajectory, but same as Pring.

Kalas of 2021 maybe, but he’s been injured for a year & no one really knows how he is now.

Naismith possibly, but Cornick was a squad player at Luton (my hunch is he will be here, too) not a top six player in any way.

Scott obviously is.

Edited by GrahamC

Just now, GrahamC said:

Seriously?

Pring has less than a full season of starts at this level & has done really well of late, bit bit early to make that type of claim.

I like Atkinson & think his career is on an upward trajectory, but same as Pring.

Kalas of 2021 maybe, but he’s been injured for a year & no one really knows how he is now.

Naismith possibly, but Cornick was a squad player at Luton (my hunch is he will be here, too) not a top six player in any way.

Scott obviously is.

Thanks for your opinion but I’m not really interested in your view, which is why I haven’t asked.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Vidal said:

Thanks for your opinion but I’m not really interested in your view, which is why I haven’t asked.

No idea why you would be on a social media board then. They are all about opinions. If you know the only and right answer you have nothing to interest you here. 

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

9 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Compare the Wigan dead ball delivery with ours and it was chalk and cheese. We haven’t got anybody who can take a decent corner or free kick. James - hopeless; Scott - inconsistent; Naismith - woeful. It’s not even the hardest thing to practice. Such a waste of good opportunities because of the poor delivery.

Not since Clive Whitehead

28 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Me too, mixed bag.

There are some on here who really have it in for James & as soon as we don’t win, can’t wait to criticise him.

On a tangent, one poor clearance aside (Wigan hit the bar as a result) I thought that was one of Joe Williams’ best games for us, whether he was proving a point against a former team, in a good place or trying to ensure he stays in the side when Naismith returns, I thought he was our best player last night.

Williams is playing very well. Not going for the an eye catching slide tackles as much, but better positionally and hunting the play down.

Ironically, I seem to remember how taking a good corner in his Wigan days.

Just now, Henry said:

Williams is playing very well. Not going for the an eye catching slide tackles as much, but better positionally and hunting the play down.

Ironically, I seem to remember how taking a good corner in his Wigan days.

Might pop his hammy.

Just now, And Its Smith said:

Did you ask for this opinion @GrahamC? Just checking 

He cared enough to question me 3 times. ?

10 minutes ago, Capman said:

No idea why you would be on a social media board then. They are all about opinions. If you know the only and right answer you have nothing to interest you here. 

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Did you ask for this opinion @GrahamC? Just checking 

I think the person above has already summed it up.

It’s my opinion, isn’t it? That’s what this forum is about. No one is always right (I wasn’t convinced at all by Sam Bell, for instance).

Facts can certainly prove a point too, so a poster saying that Bas Savage is a better goalscorer than Nakhi Wells or Tommy Conway would struggle to justify that view based on career goals scored & level at which they have done so.

Edited by GrahamC

51 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Exactly this. People are right to criticise players for not marking the effort but to hound them relentlessly and destroy their confidence (like Fontaine) is a classic bullying tactic. Early on in the season lot of people were on Zak’s case but he’s responded by getting mentally stronger and more confident. 

These people always need someone to pick on, and if it’s not a player it’s @Robbored

• Haha 1