IGNORED

warning to all those flying to Newcastle/Sunderland,like me

Never to the dark side

44 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

prepare for the ride of your life,

as it seems that gale force winds are forecast for the north east,

only ever had one aborted landing and that was one too many.

Reminds me of the least reassuring thing I ever heard said by a man in a position of power. Flying into Edinburgh in 70mph crosswinds, we circled the airport twice before the pilot came on the tannoy with "Well, the two flights in front of us have pulled out of their landings, but I think we can make it in" ?

We landed, one wheel at a time, but we landed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Reminds me of the least reassuring thing I ever heard said by a man in a position of power. Flying into Edinburgh in 70mph crosswinds, we circled the airport twice before the pilot came on the tannoy with "Well, the two flights in front of us have pulled out of their landings, but I think we can make it in" ?

Imagine being on board when this happened…

2ECFF999-C450-443A-9E3B-90F15AFC5EEF.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1

12 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Birmingham game before covid shut the league down. Flew Easyjet back up to Edinburgh the following day. Crosswinds, aborted landings and lots of people looking ill. My lads and I just enjoyed the fun, more so than the game the previous night. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pound Lane Red said:

Birmingham game before covid shut the league down. Flew Easyjet back up to Edinburgh the following day. Crosswinds, aborted landings and lots of people looking ill. My lads and I just enjoyed the fun, more so than the game the previous night. 

I had a similar thing when I landed in Gibraltar once on a day when the plane I was on was the only one to land (all the others diverted to another airport).

It was ridiculously bumpy but I utterly loved the adrenaline rush. (Which is weird as I hate Roller Coasters but apparently quite enjoy genuine danger!)

All this moot thought as my train to Newcastle got in at half four and I am currently sat in an uncomfortably trendy Thai restaurant. 

Many years ago, I was on a flight overseas and the pilot announced that we would shortly be entering an area where there were storm conditions and that we should ensure our seat belts were fastened and prepare for some strong turbulence.

Sure enough, we encountered some pretty impressive lightning, together with the promised turbulence, which was OK as I had experienced both before.

What I had never experienced before, however, was the sight of stewardesses crying and hugging each other.

Now, that was disconcerting!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Reminds me of a very heavy landing I encountered at Carcassonne once, the aircraft was smacked onto the runway really hard. 
On disembarking the aircraft (Ryanair…) the guy in front of us asked if we did actually land or were we shot down?

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Many years ago, I was on a flight overseas and the pilot announced that we would shortly be entering an area where there were storm conditions and that we should ensure our seat belts were fastened and prepare for some strong turbulence.

Sure enough, we encountered some pretty impressive lightning, together with the promised turbulence, which was OK as I had experienced both before.

What I had never experienced before, however, was the sight of stewardesses crying and hugging each other.

Remember flying into Bordeaux when Joe was 2….circled round a few times, tried to land, pulled back up….then pilot said he’s gonna give it one last attempt before flying to La Rochelle.  We got down on one piece…but it was the first time I’d flown with Joe and a sense and sense of responsibility grew on me!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

I believe you need valid photo ID on domestic flights 

Have a driving licence too but thought I'd use my passport as it doesn't get much of an outing (this was my first flight in nearly five years)

Also realised I didn't need my match ticket for that photo, but thought it would look cool a.k.a. for the 'gram

2 hours ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Found ourselves on an emergency descent once, the auto navigation had failed to follow altitude set and the pilots needed to take unannounced avoiding action. Interesting, just like the movies!

Hope not like this one? :shocking:

• Haha 5

13 hours ago, Red DNA said:

Reminds me of a very heavy landing I encountered at Carcassonne once, the aircraft was smacked onto the runway really hard. 
On disembarking the aircraft (Ryanair…) the guy in front of us asked if we did actually land or were we shot down?

Had many a bumpy landing there. It’s a very short runway and there’s nearly always a wind what with it being in a valley between two mountain ranges. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I had a similar experience coming into Bristol once.

The pilot said visibility was bad but he’d give it one go at landing if he couldn’t we’d go to Exeter.

The flustered stewardess came along suggesting we familiarise ourselves with the emergency procedure leaflet, which didn’t do much to calm people.

Anyway he made the landing, one of the smoothest I’ve had at Bristol.