IGNORED

Chromebooks

Calculus

Time I replaced my ageing laptop and have been thinking about a Chromebook. Still need to use Word and Excel and believe that can be done through a Web service. Other than that only do a bit of browsing and access streaming services.

Would appeciate any opinions or experience people have have - good or bad.

Thanks....

I have all apple now, just lost it with Windows OS. That said I was looking at this deal on Wowcher.
Must say I was tempted as I could do with one to convert my videos to digital, this is cheaper than a new converter.

https://www.wowcher.co.uk/deal/shop/27146389/hp-chromebook-x360?usr_src=search

Got my wife a chromebook for Christmas, as Currys had a really good black Friday deal on at the time (Asus model). 

Decent little machine, and on average for what she does (teacher so lots of planning, searching youtube and office/PowerPoint docs) the battery lasts about a week with a full charge, and that's with a good 2 hours or so usage 4/5 days through the week at least, maybe more.

She's really happy with it, she's not moaning about the crappy work laptop which has no battery so has to be plugged in, so I'm really happy!!

We've got about 60 in school and all seem good, and are fit for purpose (I have no idea what they use them for).

I think personally, and I'm sure someone with a better technical opinion will correct me if I'm wrong, if all you want to do is basic browsing, watching the occasional video(s), doing a bit of work on (through office 365) and like a really lightweight machine, then a chromebook will probably do you. 

If you want it to have dvd drives (which you can get external ones for chromebooks to be fair), large storage space, and to play games on, then you'll probably/definitely want to look at a more expensive option/full laptop.

Never used ChromeOS personally, but if all you want is a basic machine for browsing, streaming, basic document editing, then you really shouldn't be worrying about specs whatsoever. That means if you are happy to go with ChromeOS, the quality of the keyboard and screen are probably your main factors. Maybe keep an eye on reviews when making a decision in that regard.

As @Taz says above, they actually sound perfect for that use case.