IGNORED

Bid to buy Manchester United

Jerseybean

17 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

As per the title Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad Al Thani, the chairman of one of Qatar's biggest banks, has confirmed a bid to buy Manchester United.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64684703

He also owns a 9% stake in the Arab Jordan Investment Bank where the Al-Quidi family retain 27%.

By my reckoning that makes the Al Quidi's considerably richer than him.

And Rovers three times as valuable as Manchester United.

You know it makes sense.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

As per the title Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad Al Thani, the chairman of one of Qatar's biggest banks, has confirmed a bid to buy Manchester United.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64684703

Chairman of one of the banks, and prominent member of the royal family. Let's not make it sound like he got the gig on merit. Let's also not make it sound like this is a private individual buying them. It's not one rich banker, it's Qatar that's made the bid, the nation we were all berating only 3 months ago for being unsuitable hosts of the World Cup. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

8 hours ago, GrahamC said:

It already has.

These people own PSG, that country already owns Man City. Newcastle owned by a country that executes minors, women & the disadvantaged every single day.

What a total ******* shitshow football has become at the very top, repressive regimes sportwashing their reputation by buying these clubs.

Steve Lansdown can frustrate me at times but I’d genuinely rather be Championship also rans under him than accept money from these people.

well said GC

11 hours ago, GrahamC said:

It already has.

These people own PSG, that country already owns Man City. Newcastle owned by a country that executes minors, women & the disadvantaged every single day.

What a total ******* shitshow football has become at the very top, repressive regimes sportwashing their reputation by buying these clubs.

Steve Lansdown can frustrate me at times but I’d genuinely rather be Championship also rans under him than accept money from these people.

Great post. Let’s hope SL keeps his moral compass when he decides to sell. I fear that might be a challenge for him as there seems to be very little UK interest in buying any football club. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Great post. Let’s hope SL keeps his moral compass when he decides to sell. I fear that might be a challenge for him as there seems to be very little UK interest in buying any football club. 

Oh I don't know. The other guy that has bid - the billionaire who's made his money from exploiting this country's hard to extract fossil fuels rather than another's - he's British.

8 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Oh I don't know. The other guy that has bid - the billionaire who's made his money from exploiting this country's hard to extract fossil fuels rather than another's - he's British.

I don't really get that? Is it better to exploit someone else's fossil fuels?

12 hours ago, GrahamC said:

It already has.

Hear, hear. It's truly disgusting. 

On a related note, it doesn't need to be said, but I will anyway, the money at the top end of the game is distorting the EFL. 

13 hours ago, GrahamC said:

We need to be watchful though. We need to be on it. If there's a whisper of us being sold to someone who we as fans are unhappy with then we have to voice that. We cannot accept it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Bit of a political post, take it to the other forum. 

Oh dear.

Got to love the ones who get criticised, whose first thought is to search someone's posting history and try and find some "gotcha" moment.

A little bit snowflakey,....

Anyone could quite easily argue that this topic should be in the Politics forum and I wouldn't be surprised if it got moved, especially when the opening post is about Qataris buying a club in the UK.

Not sure how it's some sort of gotcha moment when you have actually gone out your way to shoehorn in those pesky Tories into a thread about Warnocks clothing though.

Still each to their own. If it makes you feel better you claim it as some sort of win.

• Confused 1