IGNORED

FBC POD: Sunderland [A] the verdict: it really did feel like a win

headhunter

10 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Starting to annoy me now that every week Ian mentions lack of goals and assists for Scott. He can put in a top performance and he will still criticise him for that. 

Despite Scott most likely being the most talented player to ever come through our academy, Ian always seems to speak about him negatively whilst ignoring all the good he does do on the pitch. 

Would you not agree that as our most advanced midfield player goals and assists are needed?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Would you not agree that as our most advanced midfield player goals and assists are needed?

Too much emphasis on goals and assists as a measure of someone’s game / role, imho.  Last season, did it matter that WSM scored the glut of our goals? They scored 42 / 60 league goals last season.  Which is a very unusual balance.  As for Scott, it is only or more recent games (the change to 4213 / 433) that he’s played a much freer role.  He’s played a lot alongside James or a Williams as the “double pivot” too, and Weimann played behind Conway and Wells for example.

As I pointed out, Scott actually is joint 13th (Wyscout - 17th on BBC) across the whole championship for assists.  So that’s not an issue per se.  So if the argument was “he doesn’t get enough goals” I could see sort of see the case, but mentioning assists is a bit lazy, imho.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Too much emphasis on goals and assists as a measure of someone’s game / role, imho.  Last season, did it matter that WSM scored the glut of our goals? They scored 42 / 60 league goals last season.  Which is a very unusual balance.  As for Scott, it is only or more recent games (the change to 4213 / 433) that he’s played a much freer role.  He’s played a lot alongside James or a Williams as the “double pivot” too, and Weimann played behind Conway and Wells for example.

As I pointed out, Scott actually is joint 13th (Wyscout - 17th on BBC) across the whole championship for assists.  So that’s not an issue per se.  So if the argument was “he doesn’t get enough goals” I could see sort of see the case, but mentioning assists is a bit lazy, imho.

Bit lazy stating WSM scored the glut of our goals last season when we don't have them here this season, others have to step up to the plate 

He doesn't score enough, I think that's clear for all to see for the position he plays 

Don't wanna spreadsheet but find the 13th or 17th for assists still pretty poor for the position he plays 

I rate Scott (who doesn't!) But a sense of realism.is.needed

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Bit lazy stating WSM scored the glut of our goals last season when we don't have them here this season, others have to step up to the plate 

He doesn't score enough, I think that's clear for all to see for the position he plays 

Don't wanna spreadsheet but find the 13th or 17th for assists still pretty poor for the position he plays 

I rate Scott (who doesn't!) But a sense of realism.is.needed

Eh?  Why the tone?

All I did was bring an example to the debate of how sometimes goals are spread out (e.g. 07/08) and sometimes they aren’t.  Why is that lazy?

I’m not offering you a spreadsheet, just factual numbers that 5 league assists is high up in the Championship.  You can take that or leave it.  In the position he plays he’s actually joint 10th (behind Brownhill, N’Diaye, Crooks, Robinson more a forward than a midfielder, Barlaser, Bacuna, Wallace, Swift, Chair) alongside Norwood, but ahead of Hamer, Grimes, Molumby, Ince, Baker, Johansen, Pritchard, Roberts, O’Hare, Gudmundson, Berge, Hannibal, Weimann, etc.

You are fine to have your opinion that it’s not enough assists for the position he plays.  My opinion is that it’s a good level.  I’ve provided a list to hopefully explain why I think the way I do.

Did you not read the bit about goals in my post that you quoted?

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Eh?  Why the tone?

All I did was bring an example to the debate of how sometimes goals are spread out (e.g. 07/08) and sometimes they aren’t.  Why is that lazy?

I’m not offering you a spreadsheet, just factual numbers that 5 league assists is high up in the Championship.  You can take that or leave it.  In the position he plays he’s actually joint 10th (behind Brownhill, N’Diaye, Crooks, Robinson more a forward than a midfielder, Barlaser, Bacuna, Wallace, Swift, Chair) alongside Norwood, but ahead of Hamer, Grimes, Molumby, Ince, Baker, Johansen, Pritchard, Roberts, O’Hare, Gudmundson, Berge, Hannibal, Weimann, etc.

You are fine to have your opinion that it’s not enough assists for the position he plays.  My opinion is that it’s a good level.  I’ve provided a list to hopefully explain why I think the way I do.

Did you not read the bit about goals in my post that you quoted?

That's fair enough, I did see your bit about not enough goals on that we can agree 

We will just have a different opinion on assists, but that's fine

• Like 1