IGNORED

FBC POD: Sunderland [A] the verdict: it really did feel like a win

headhunter

[also available on Google, Apple & Spotify].

DaveP hosts the inimitable Ian Gay, Mark Tovey AND Chris Honor in this review of this afternoon's game at the SOL.

The unbeaten run is extended to 11 games as City get a point at the SOL but, more importantly, after a wait of 469 days we got a penalty and Nahki tucked it away in the 93rd minute. 

Ian offers a short debrief on what Steve Lansdown said in his address to the Senior Reds on Thursday PLUS, listen out for Chris explaining what it's like to take a penalty under pressure as he recalls his strike from the spot against Joe Jordan's Hearts back in the 90s

Sound quality is better these days and Ian's not his dogmatic self [a trend of late if you're a critic who doesn't listen]

15 minutes ago, headhunter said:

[also available on Google, Apple & Spotify].

DaveP hosts the inimitable Ian Gay, Mark Tovey AND Chris Honor in this review of this afternoon's game at the SOL.

The unbeaten run is extended to 11 games as City get a point at the SOL but, more importantly, after a wait of 469 days we got a penalty and Nahki tucked it away in the 93rd minute. 

Ian offers a short debrief on what Steve Lansdown said in his address to the Senior Reds on Thursday PLUS, listen out for Chris explaining what it's like to take a penalty under pressure as he recalls his strike from the spot against Joe Jordan's Hearts back in the 90s

Sound quality is better these days and Ian's not his dogmatic self [a trend of late if you're a critic who doesn't listen]

Is it on Spotify  now? Will put on whilst watching Inter. Pod in the week was good and I like the new Ian. 

Re F/Ks…are they that bad?

Re Scott - he’s made the most assists of any City player this season.  He’s joint 13th in the Championship for assists!!!  Goals, yep, could do with improving that, but if you notice, the recent change has allowed him more freedom, and he’s starting to get into better position (plus of course has a cup goal v WBA - got 4 last season).  Brownhill was 21 when he scored 1 in his first season, got 5 the following season aged 22, ditto aged 23, he also took free-kicks too.  Alex just 19, and doing much more to influence games.  Let’s not get too dragged in to goals and assists as the measure of a player like Alex.  Agree with Ian on yesterday, good first half, but got a bit lost second half.  Got another opposition player booked though, a regular thing.

• Like 1

Players are often shown inside…into congestion.  It’s better than showing them the line in that position (inside the lines of the pen area), because players then get into the cutback zone and you have central defenders then worried about stopping the cross than marking their men.  We’ve scored so many goals this season from exactly that…That’s why. ?

I don’t think for the goal Tanner showed him inside per se, he was just hugely exposed because Zak had tried to nip the ball away from Gelhardt, got rolled and was out of the game for the Clarke v Tanner aspect of that move.  He did get himself back in (through a lung-busting recovery run) and it took a screamer from Clarke and also a bit of luck to go through Zak’s desperate attempt to block.

So you could argue the goal was down to Zak failing to win a ball 10 yards into their half.

But we won’t concede many like that.

Re EFL FFP.

In its current guise, nobody can say about 23/24, 24/25, because we don’t know our income or costs yet…regardless of selling players (or buying for that matter).  Assuming no players going in or out and costs and income staying at current levels, we should be ok, because we’ve got the levels down to within the range needed.

As for the proposed changes, we will need to wait and see, but again it looks like we’ve made the move to get costs into line.

Watched the Man U game with the paddy on again. The best one I can remember. Having Chris on gives it so much more balance and in general people are more polite and calm. 

Great talking points too! 

For my tuppence are we good enough to go on a run? I would say yes. Will we be happy when we have the newly adjusted 53 points? yes.

The next four games in the league are winnable so keeping my fingers crossed for an exciting end to the season, hopefully in the top half!

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Watched the Man U game with the paddy on again. The best one I can remember. Having Chris on gives it so much more balance and in general people are more polite and calm. 

Great talking points too! 

For my tuppence are we good enough to go on a run? I would say yes. Will we be happy when we have the newly adjusted 53 points? yes.

The next four games in the league are winnable so keeping my fingers crossed for an exciting end to the season, hopefully in the top half!

I liked Chris on Dave’s one-on-one with him, was a very good listen.

What is the method behind 53 points being required.

image.png.740719507b5563a609872beed030c57d.png

I’ve added games left and points needed for all those teams below us who need greater than one point per game to get to 53.

Imho none of the bottom 5 will get 53 points.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve added games left and points needed for all those teams below us who need greater than one point per game to get to 53.

Absolutely, plus there are plenty of games when they play each other.

Best of luck to them both winning that..

With by far the best goal difference in the bottom half we probably only need another 9 points to survive now.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

53 points for safety? As in 52 is what 22nd will get this season. Not in a million years. 

47 or 48 will see a team safe this season.

Edited by ExiledAjax

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Absolutely, plus there are plenty of games when they play each other.

Best of luck to them both winning that..

With by far the best goal difference in the bottom half we probably only need another 9 points to survive now.

I know anyone can beat anyone in the Championship, but Huddersfield play 5 of the top 6, 11 of the top half.  Just 3 games against bottom half teams.  Fair play if they get 53 points.  Not saying they won’t survive, but it won’t be at our expense.

image.thumb.png.fae3648fa18f90ad98724f5508f57431.png

Wigan on the other hand have played most of the top 6 twice already.

image.thumb.png.fe5230380879d668ee5b729d7c987d0d.png

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I based 53 on Ian’s SWAG estimate. Sorry nothing scientific!

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I know anyone can beat anyone in the Championship, but Huddersfield play 5 of the top 6, 11 of the top half.  Just 3 games against bottom half teams.  Fair play if they get 53 points.  Not saying they won’t survive, but it won’t be at our expense.

image.thumb.png.fae3648fa18f90ad98724f5508f57431.png

Wigan on the other hand have played most of the top 6 twice already.

image.thumb.png.fe5230380879d668ee5b729d7c987d0d.png

Rotherham seem to be struggling & QPR are on a horrendous run, Blackpool’s win at the weekend was their first in the league since October..

QPR have a fair few points but those other two don’t look on course for even 50.

Wigan have certainly tightened up under Maloney, Cardiff have had 2 good wins & obviously Huddersfield have Warnock but for all of them to sustain good form seems highly improbable.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@DavefevsIan has stated a number of times it’s an average league and anyone can beat anyone. I don’t disagree with this point but I think Ian lost sight of the reality of the table and results beyond Bristol City. Took his eye off the ball

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Beni71 said:

@DavefevsIan has stated a number of times it’s an average league and anyone can beat anyone. I don’t disagree with this point but I think Ian lost sight of the reality of the table and results beyond Bristol City. Took his eye off the ball

Posing the question…

- is it an average League?

- What constitutes an average league?

I’m guessing (from memory) that 53 points isn’t the average points total needed to stay up?

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Posing the question…

I’m guessing (from memory) that 53 points isn’t the average points total needed to stay up?

It's more like 46 or 47, think the actual average points haul for 22nd is 46.something, so 46 +GD or 47 will tend to keep you safe. In very recent years it's even lower, more like 44.

1 point per game tends to keep you safe in most leagues in most seasons.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Posing the question…

Since we returned to the Championship in 15/16 the highest number of points that’s ever been needed to stay up is 51, so that obviously not true (made up).

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Posing the question…

I think Ian is saying that it’s a tight league with little between the bulk of the teams. I’ve seen quite a bit of good football and games are tight, so perhaps the word average is a little out of context. Or perhaps it’s meant as a barb, that we are sixteenth in an average league, who knows!

A lot on the poddy has been said about who is coming down v who is going up and increased difficulty. I don’t really see a big difference with the usual suspects flirting with relegation and Sheff Wed with there biggish crowds possibly getting promotion. 

One thing for certain if we don’t make a mad dash for a play off spot and go up this season we look as though we are nicely placed for next. 

Edited by REDOXO
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I think Ian is saying that it’s a tight league with little between the bulk of the teams. I’ve seen quite a bit of good football and games are tight, so perhaps the word average is a little out of context. 

A lot on the poddy has been said about who is coming down v who is going up and increased difficulty. I don’t really see a big difference with the usual suspects flirting with relegation and Sheff Wed with there biggish crowds possibly getting promotion. 

One thing for certain if we don’t make a mad dash for a play off spot and go up this season we look as though we are nicely placed for next. 

Makes sense.  I’d probably call it “more competitive” than average, Burnley the exception.

• Like 1

On 19/02/2023 at 12:35, Davefevs said:

Re F/Ks…are they that bad?

Re Scott - he’s made the most assists of any City player this season.  He’s joint 13th in the Championship for assists!!!  Goals, yep, could do with improving that, but if you notice, the recent change has allowed him more freedom, and he’s starting to get into better position (plus of course has a cup goal v WBA - got 4 last season).  Brownhill was 21 when he scored 1 in his first season, got 5 the following season aged 22, ditto aged 23, he also took free-kicks too.  Alex just 19, and doing much more to influence games.  Let’s not get too dragged in to goals and assists as the measure of a player like Alex.  Agree with Ian on yesterday, good first half, but got a bit lost second half.  Got another opposition player booked though, a regular thing.

Starting to annoy me now that every week Ian mentions lack of goals and assists for Scott. He can put in a top performance and he will still criticise him for that. 

Despite Scott most likely being the most talented player to ever come through our academy, Ian always seems to speak about him negatively whilst ignoring all the good he does do on the pitch. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Starting to annoy me now that every week Ian mentions lack of goals and assists for Scott. He can put in a top performance and he will still criticise him for that. 

Despite Scott most likely being the most talented player to ever come through our academy, Ian always seems to speak about him negatively whilst ignoring all the good he does do on the pitch. 

All the while ignoring that he's been at WB or deeper midfield for a time and he's 19.

It'll take him a bit of time to get into the groove of getting into the area at the right time (he had chances to do that on saturday), but he'll get there between now and the end of the season. He's a very intelligent player and he'll learn.

On 19/02/2023 at 22:32, REDOXO said:

I think Ian is saying that it’s a tight league with little between the bulk of the teams. I’ve seen quite a bit of good football and games are tight, so perhaps the word average is a little out of context. Or perhaps it’s meant as a barb, that we are sixteenth in an average league, who knows!

He's said this a few times and I can't really see it. 

I don't think any of the clubs that are likely to come up will make the league tougher. You'll always have one or two current Championship clubs that will regress too. 

From the prem one of them that come down will just replace Burnley. Maybe it will ever so slightly stronger league if two big clubs come down such as Leeds and Everton. However if it was Southampton, Bournemouth and Leeds and I don't it would be too much stronger. 

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

All the while ignoring that he's been at WB or deeper midfield for a time and he's 19.

It'll take him a bit of time to get into the groove of getting into the area at the right time (he had chances to do that on saturday), but he'll get there between now and the end of the season. He's a very intelligent player and he'll learn.

I just get the feeling he doesn't rate him. He doesn't see the talent that he has and that it's very likely he'll go to the top of the game. He doesn't think anyone would pay 25 million for him and bizarrely he keeps rambling on about selling him and then us loaning him back which very very rarely happens in football. 

Failed to also mention Scott's headed goal vs Italy in the Euros when the opportunity presented itself the other week I believe it was. 

37 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Based on numerous listens to the podcast over the past few seasons I would say that Alex Scott isn't really the sort of player Ian likes. He prefers more physical players. Just something i've picked up on anyway.