IGNORED

Richard Scudamore (not Peter! ?)

Tinmans Love Child

I posted this link on another thread but having now watched the whole thing I thought others might be interested to see it so have started a thread.

It's from Gary Neville's Overlap series of interviews on YouTube which by the way are all brilliant (especially Roy Keane, Scholes, Lampard and Gerrard).  This is one year old but thought I'd share considering Scudamore has been name checked by our new CEO this week.  

He mentions his first ever game was the John Atyeo testimonial and that one of his first jobs in football was for the Bristol and District League (I played in Div 9 for RMC Wick back in the day!).  

But it's a great interview, no punches pulled by Neville, but PS comes across very well and if he is involved with City behind the scenes I think that can only be a good thing!  Enjoy

Edited by Tinmans Love Child
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• The title was changed to Richard Scudamore (not Peter! 😂)
3 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

No reason other than a mental block, I'm sure you were able to work out which Scudamore I meant

I did. Mainly because Neville called him Richard!

Interesting post, thank you. He's got an interesting relationship with our club and has some...interesting views on football, not all of which I agree with.

1 hour ago, Tony Tootle said:

I may have missed this in the past but I also heard it mentioned in the Phil Alexander interview - Can someone explain what Scudamore's role is? Is he a non executive director or does he just do some sort of freelance advisory role?

We don’t know.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Having listened to Scudamore, I am releived that he is no longer in the job.

The further he is from this club, the better.

100% agree with Neville.

For me he talks complete business sense, it might not be what people want to hear, but he's right.  The only thing I disagree with is the use of parachute payments, clubs should sort their contracts out in this respect should they go down, but apart from that he knows what he's talking about.  I like Gary Neville but he doesn't understand economics and why just giving EFL clubs a slightly bigger slice won't do anything to address imbalances and could actually impact finances long term if Prem isn't the top league

There was a really good interview with Scudamore on The Athletic podcast with Mark Chapman late last year where he admitted parachute payments were designed to keep relegated clubs strong so that they came straight back up thus maintaing the strength of the Premier League. We got a mention too ( it was the Monday after our awful performance at Birmingham).

9 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Having listened to Scudamore, I am releived that he is no longer in the job.

The further he is from this club, the better.

100% agree with Neville.

See as much as I like him as a pundit, on the financial side of the game I find him yet another grasping club owner expecting hand outs.

There’s a huge disparity between the EFL and EPL in terms of revenue generation but handing over yet more money to EFL clubs won’t change that, what it will do is create an even more unsustainable set of clubs, with inflated wages essentially subsidised by the anticipated continued success of the EPL.

As we saw with the ITV collapse, EFL clubs are at risk because they max out their spending, so any downturn leaves them exposed - and there is always a risk. 

Id be far more open to it if there was a stipulation that x% has to be spent on facilities and/or community programmes 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

See as much as I like him as a pundit, on the financial side of the game I find him yet another grasping club owner expecting hand outs.

There’s a huge disparity between the EFL and EPL in terms of revenue generation but handing over yet more money to EFL clubs won’t change that, what it will do is create an even more unsustainable set of clubs, with inflated wages essentially subsidised by the anticipated continued success of the EPL.

As we saw with the ITV collapse, EFL clubs are at risk because they max out their spending, so any downturn leaves them exposed - and there is always a risk. 

Id be far more open to it if there was a stipulation that x% has to be spent on facilities and/or community programmes 

The whole point of the independent regulator is to prevent what you describe. Clubs will have to prove that they are financially sustainable.

See the Fan Led Review thread where @ExiledAjaxgives an excellent analysis of the White Paper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

There was a really good interview with Scudamore on The Athletic podcast with Mark Chapman late last year where he admitted parachute payments were designed to keep relegated clubs strong so that they came straight back up thus maintaing the strength of the Premier League. We got a mention too ( it was the Monday after our awful performance at Birmingham).

The idea of almost deliberately keeping Watford, Burnley, Bournemouth etc at Prem Level over the likes of Derby, Sunderland, Sheff Wed is absolutely insane

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

The idea of almost deliberately keeping Watford, Burnley, Bournemouth etc at Prem Level over the likes of Derby, Sunderland, Sheff Wed is absolutely insane

Might be to you and I but not the money grabbing PL. And don't forget two of those clubs you mention stank the PL out when they were last in it 

2 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Tbh head of the EFL has said stronger financial reforms must go hand in hand with redistribution. Parry haa aais for over 2 years now that "Owner funding is great...until it isn't" so I think he's quite aware of the issues.

There is always a risk of course, nothing in life is surely 100 pct risk free but some kind of escrow requirement- 2 or 3 years in advance to cover cash losses as part of a Business Plan (past, present and future looking) or perhaps a simple Licensing m requirement that clubs must through their own endeavours break even on a cash basis in order to comply, again past, present and future looking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

It's a good idea, and I agree it would likely help to prevent the issue of more money simply strengthening the negative feedback loop of inflating wages and fees, and so more money is needed.

However, my preferred solution is to change how clubs earn their money rather than how they spend it. I believe that incentivising positive management will work better than dictating how these businesses spend their money. If we can link league handouts to desirable things then that will yield better results than forcing directors to spend in a certain way. Invest in your disability team - get a payment. Increase fan engagement - get a payment. Improve your governance and transparency - get a payment.

If we diversify the metrics by which clubs are measured and financially rewarded then we incentivise broader investment. It no longer becomes all about league position, and so no longer becomes all about paying the higher wages in order to secure the best players. In doing this we link rather than separate competition and sustainable business practice.

This is the philosophy behind Fair Game's Sustainability Index. https://www.fairgameuk.org/sustainability-index

And @chinapig is correct - change is coming and hopefully it will have an impact.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

For me he talks complete business sense, it might not be what people want to hear, but he's right.  The only thing I disagree with is the use of parachute payments, clubs should sort their contracts out in this respect should they go down, but apart from that he knows what he's talking about.  I like Gary Neville but he doesn't understand economics and why just giving EFL clubs a slightly bigger slice won't do anything to address imbalances and could actually impact finances long term if Prem isn't the top league

I agree. I should have said that I agree with most of what Neville says.

And I agree that Scudamore talks good business sense, but that is at the expense of the wider game imo.

He's a money man, loves the stuff and, for me, thats all there is to him.

3 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Again, I agree - especially the last sentence.

• Like 1