IGNORED

O'Neills - New Kit Supplier (Confirmed)

1 hour ago, Hartleysbeard said:

A quick scan of the rules also states the official club emblem must appear only once on the front of the shirt. Have they massively ballsed up here? Or am I misunderstanding the rules?

Couldn’t rule it out. Remember the hashtag balls up. 
maybe the football authorities can save us a bit of embarrassment. The kits will still look cheap and nasty but at least with a proper badge they’d be tolerable. 

58 minutes ago, An Outstanding Human said:

I like it overall. We do need to move on from these types of designs that attempt to make robins look hard. It's just silly 

Robins are quite tasty, and like to put themselves about a bit.

However, I can't recall that we've ever had a badge design that attempted to make the robin look hard.

5 hours ago, freezer said:

Think someone has just found a stock photo of a Robin in flight and went with it. 

Shame the all important colouration isn't present though. 

IMG_20230313_195902.jpg

Good spot. I took the illustration from a t-shirt on the club shop and placed it over the top.

It is a bad tracing of this exact image :(

Robin.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 1

47 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

The same could be said of 99% of away kits. 

Don't agree with that at all. Plenty of away kits are identifiable from the colours used, but failing that at least they have the frickin badge of the club on the front to tell you which team it is!! 

Even if you could tell that badge was a Robin, you have Cheltenham and Swindon locally to confuse the shirt with. 

Lacking City identity, which should be the principle goal of any shirt.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

If I am being positive I like the colours chosen, for me green is much better than the navy blue that previous shirts have had. Also liking the washed out yellow look, not quite Norwich in disguise anymore and has been used before in history.

However like everyone else has mentioned the badge. ? Don't want to automatically blame JL but if it was him then it comes across that he either doesn't ask anyone for feedback or is surrounded by yes men. In my view that Robin logo was unnecessary on previous kits so disappointed it features on the front this time around, for me the logo doesn't look good and makes shirt worse not better overall. Other than that it's a decent shirt.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Magic Man said:

Here is a good example of how a club can properly engage with its fans when it comes to branding and heritage… (the vid at the end of the article is worth a watch)

https://www.designweek.co.uk/issues/16-20-january-2023/typographic-arsenal-stadium-artworks/?cmpid=dwnews_30307355&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=dw_daily&adg=8264804

We do also need to give credit to the Gas. When they wanted to change their badge last year they actually did a consultation, held polls and then ultimately listened to both of their fans when they said they'd like to stick with a camp pirate squashing a football.

They get many, many, many things wrong, but like any stopped clock, they were correct this once.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Given we are ages away from next season and this being in the club shop, I can see a climb down on this and the pigeon being replaced with the club badge. Doesnt make the rest of the shirt any better in my opinion but would appease quite a few. 

Also, if we need a third shirt I'm expecting a white or black away kit 

• Like 1

The flying Robin should be ditched on absolutely everything we produce and sell. Having it on this 3rd kit is not an indication it would ever replace our core logo, but it's our design team and management trying a little too hard to produce something a little bit different. It doesn't work and hopefully they will now realise this.

Before they start production to sell this kit to fans, they should listen to the fans and immediately remove the flying Robin and replace it with our core logo. Simples and keeps the majority fan base happier.... 

Will they listen and act? 

• Like 3

Having a secondary logo is absolutely ******* pointless and this just reminds me of when we tried to put hashtags on our shirts for a year. Why do this club feel the need to try be different? It's unnecessary and honestly just looks shit.

A secondary logo is an American sports thing. No idea why JL feels like we need some Americanization at this club when it comes to something like kit. What is the point? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dredd said:

Given we are ages away from next season and this being in the club shop, I can see a climb down on this and the pigeon being replaced with the club badge. Doesnt make the rest of the shirt any better in my opinion but would appease quite a few. 

It is the third shirt. Away shirt will be announced nearer to the summer.

So I guess you could argue that the current third shirt (yellow monstrosity) is our current away shirt, which will then be relegated to third shirt next year.

Using the seasons previous away shirt as the third shirt for the following season wouldn't be a bad trend to start (again - others have done so in years gone by).

2 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

I wonder if the club will do a U-turn on this? If this site, social media and the City fans that i have spoken to are anything to go by then this shirt and the badge seems to have gone down as a horrendous fail..

No chance. They never get anything wrong. Criticism is never recognised nor replied to. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dredd said:

In a way you have to give club credit for trying something different but hopefully we’re also able to give them credit for listening as it looks awful