IGNORED

O'Neills - New Kit Supplier (Confirmed)

46 minutes ago, phantom said:

I do find it mildly amusing a new user comes onto OTIB this morning getting many excited about having a blue away kit - apparently just because it hasn't been released yet

Yes there was talk of blue on the away kit - but NOT a blue kit, this was even back when Gould was at the club, but how about the idea that the delay is because this has been updated?

Let's wait until we see what is released before everyone gets in a frenzy??

I'm assuming they want as many people to buy the home/3rd kit as that's all that's available for holidays and 1st game of the season and the uptake has been shite. 

Away kit will be the best of the bunch. 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

I do find it mildly amusing a new user comes onto OTIB this morning getting many excited about having a blue away kit - apparently just because it hasn't been released yet

Yes there was talk of blue on the away kit - but NOT a blue kit, this was even back when Gould was at the club, but how about the idea that the delay is because this has been updated?

Let's wait until we see what is released before everyone gets in a frenzy??

I'm smelling a strong smell of gas. Who do I call? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BS3 Ark at Ee said:

I’d be more than happy if the club just scrapped all the new Robin logos etc and just went back to the old Robin on a football with the Suspension Bridge behind....be interesting to see how popular that would be? 

Out of interest, what was the reaction at the time, when that replaced the coat of arms?

Edited by Davefevs

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest, what was the reaction at the time, when that replaced the coat of arms?

If memory serves, the coat of arms had some sort of copyrite issue associated with it and it was going to start to cost money to continue using it - I might have made that up however.

I hope someone can confirm that I've not made it up. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

The frightening thing is that in 1983 our club shop had a better range of products than it does 40 years later

So true. I had quite a few items on that list, too - I certainly had (and probably still have it somewhere) the City Record which I'm sure was by Shag Connor & the Carrot Crunchers. 

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

So true. I had quite a few items on that list, too - I certainly had (and probably still have it somewhere) the City Record which I'm sure was by Shag Connor & the Carrot Crunchers. 

I had that too!

I also had the silk scarf (how 80s can you get?), the mirror and the lampshade. 

I used to love that shop. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

If memory serves, the coat of arms had some sort of copyrite issue associated with it and it was going to start to cost money to continue using it - I might have made that up however.

It was certainly heavily implied, if not confirmed. Which is bonkers really.  

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

The fact I remember, or the fact it might have actually happened?

The fact using a cities coat of arms could have a charge… A city that the club is representing, and no doubt would milk the hell out if it was top tier. 

Edited by Barrs Court Red

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

That's an interesting question , just had a look on historical kits. Looks like the Bridge Robin came in for the '76 1st Division team. TBH I don't remember the Bristol Crest from before that, replica kits weren't really a thing like they are now. That badge did feel like it was 'US' though, and it was on many's  favourite kit too. 

That shirt was the first I can remember being readily available, I think I got mine from the City shop. Previously I had the all Red with no badge, basically a Red Tee shirt but one of my fav ever Birthday Presents and I was 6ish. The next I tried to buy was around 71, got one from a Sports shop that would have been around where the Bay Horse is. The playing shirt had a badge, mine never, still not convinced it was genuine City one. That shirt from 76 was to me the first proper shirt I could get, so in my mind that is 'THE' shirt and badge

3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

We went back to the Coat of Arms in 94/5 apparently , not sure why, so I would think that wasn't an issue then. I do remember strong rumours of a potential charge when we went to the "modern Robin" in 19/20. 
How true that is I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me. 

EDIT :

Having had a look I found this:
The composition of coats of arms are generally public domain with respect to copyright laws, and may be reproduced freely. This corresponds to the international traditional usage, and is explicitly stated in some national copyright laws. Some compositions, of more recent origin, may be copyrighted.

The Crest City used I'm sure was slightly different, which could actually mean ours could involve payment for use. Hard to find too much else about it though. 

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Thanks 1

At this point I couldn’t care less what colour our away and third kits are… blue or otherwise.
I just want them to fit properly and not look like Nige dumps a big kit bag in the middle of the changing room and hands out the shirts while naming the starting team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SBB said:

At this point I couldn’t care less what colour our away and third kits are… blue or otherwise.
I just want them to fit properly and not look like Nige dumps a big kit bag in the middle of the changing room and hands out the shirts while naming the starting team. 

Ahhh… that brings back memories of primary schooldays. Mr Jackson and a cardboard box of neatly folded cotton shirts. After each position 1-11 was called, a name was read out and each lad went to the desk at the front of the class and was given the shirt. Magical.

Actually, our school was ground breaking. It wasn’t just lads. We had two girls, including Jane Rogers the younger sister of David, who were regularly selected and were pretty good too. Unfortunately, the FA took a dim view of this and banned us from every league and cup competition, so we only played ‘friendlies’. Sure this was the reason I never got to play for England.

• Like 5