IGNORED

O'Neills - New Kit Supplier (Confirmed)

2 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I don’t really see why we need it, but similarly don’t understand what people have against it. It’s quite a good image in itself.

On its own, it’s fine. But it’s been plastered all over the kit and HPC when we already have a new and perfectly fine Robin. 

There was just no call or need for it. I’m more baffled than upset. 

Edited by David Brent

To save the ‘design team’ trouble… here’s a compromise that could be quick and look smart.

Use our home shirt design template with the standard badge. Substitute the red with white, and the white stripes with your blue. If you must, put splat on the back as a small motif below the collar - although the outline of the Suspension Bridge would be better (how many Robins does one need on a shirt?). 

Exercise some quality control on the shirt materials, fit and finish.

There we go. That’ll be £100,000 please.

I don’t mind a blue away kit, especially if it’s nothing like Rovers blue.

What I mind is everything else being blue INSTEAD of red when there’s no reason for it. That’s needless and weird dilution of our identity and our brand.

It’s bizarre from a marketing perspective, doesn’t represent the club, and alienates the fanbase who value our identity - all without any upsides. Combined with the splat and the dreadful quality, it’s a shitshow all round.

I’d love someone to explain it.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I struggle to understand why anybody cares, but I guess image is more important to some than others.

Because part of supporting a football club is cherishing its unique identity and wanting it to be respected. It’s wanting the club represented in a way we can be proud of, that looks professional, presents us in the best possible light, in a way that can draw in new supporters.

Why do any of us buy City clothing or merchandise? Because we want to associate ourselves with a club we are proud of. But look at the state of the new range.

Introducing another new logo without any consultation, which in many cases is replacing the club crest (even on the shirt), is diluting our brand and our identity. That in itself is bad enough, but when it’s such a crass stock image, all it does is make us look amateur. It isn’t something we can be proud of.

If image matters so little, would you be happy to see us playing in a blue home kit? That’s a more extreme example, but the principle is the same; it’s a lack of respect for the identity of the club.

Edited by ChippenhamRed
  • Like 15
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

20 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I don’t mind a blue away kit, especially if it’s nothing like Rovers blue.

What I mind is everything else being blue INSTEAD of red when there’s no reason for it. That’s needless and weird dilution of our identity and our brand.

It’s bizarre from a marketing perspective, doesn’t represent the club, and alienates the fanbase who value our identity - all without any upsides. Combined with the splat and the dreadful quality, it’s a shitshow all round.

I’d love someone to explain it.

It does feel like we are a club that is confused about its identity right now and that's never good for a brand.

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

It does feel like we are a club that is confused about its identity right now and that's never good for a brand.

It does, and it’s a very odd backwards step having established what I thought was a strong, modern brand with the new crest a few years ago. That was generally well received. This tinkering wasn’t needed and no one was asking for it - it’s achieved nothing other than to alienate the fans and, most likely, reduce merchandise income. Bizarre.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, BS3 Ark at Ee said:

Wish someone from the club would just come out and explain what the new logo is all about. As always when there’s controversy, unrest etc The club hierarchy go quiet and are nowhere to be seen 

The Club believe that the highlighted part of this announcement from June is sufficient explanation. In my opinion it is horseshit.

markup_1000010466.png

22 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Because part of supporting a football club is cherishing its unique identity and wanting it to be respected. It’s wanting the club represented in a way we can be proud of, that looks professional, presents us in the best possible light, in a way that can draw in new supporters.

Why do any of us buy City clothing or merchandise? Because we want to associate ourselves with a club we are proud of. But look at the state of the new range.

Introducing another new logo without any consultation, which in many cases is replacing the club crest (even on the shirt), is diluting our brand and our identity. That in itself is bad enough, but when it’s such a crass stock image, all it does is make us look amateur. It isn’t something we can be proud of.

If image matters so little, would you be happy to see us playing in a blue home kit? That’s a more extreme example, but the principle is the same; it’s a lack of respect for the identity of the club.

It's a Robin, we are called "The Robins", how does that equate to changing to blue? I wonder how many fans of other clubs have logo's that 100% of their fans like or care about? Things change, people either like it, they don't or in my case don't really care.

7 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It does, and it’s a very odd backwards step having established what I thought was a strong, modern brand with the new crest a few years ago. That was generally well received.

It was. At the time I thought the new badge was ok - nothing more. But over time I've come to appreciate that it is one of the worst badges in the entire football league. 

I recall FourFourTwo ranked it about 80th a couple of years back, and I thought that was quite generous.

Anyway, that's the least of our concerns at the moment. But I feel like the branding side of things has been crap for a long time when you look at the new badge, and some of the bizarre training/coaching gear we've been churning out for some years.

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

53 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

It's a Robin, we are called "The Robins", how does that equate to changing to blue? I wonder how many fans of other clubs have logo's that 100% of their fans like or care about? Things change, people either like it, they don't or in my case don't really care.

I didn’t say it “equates” to changing to blue, I was talking about the principle and very clearly stated that it’s a more extreme example. You asked why image matters and I don’t think my post could have answered your question more clearly.

A better question would be “I wonder how many fans of other clubs have seen their club introduce a new logo derived entirely from a stock image, that has then been introduced onto a kit to replace the club crest, without any consultation or consideration for supporter opinion?”

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I didn’t say it “equates” to changing to blue, I was talking about the principle and very clearly stated that it’s a more extreme example. You asked why image matters and I don’t think my post could have answered your question more clearly.

A better question would be “I wonder how many fans of other clubs have seen their club introduce a new logo derived entirely from a stock image, that has then been introduced onto a kit to replace the club crest, without any consultation or consideration for supporter opinion?”

I was replying to the specific post that was talking about the "Splat Robin", now that has been incorporated into the O'Neills thread, it looks like I am commenting on the whole kit. I appreciate that some people don't like certain designs. kits etc, but as I say no one will ever design any of these things with universal appeal. To me it seems that some feel the need to make a mountain out of a molehill just to have a go at the club, or specific individuals within the club set up.

58 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I was replying to the specific post that was talking about the "Splat Robin", now that has been incorporated into the O'Neills thread, it looks like I am commenting on the whole kit. I appreciate that some people don't like certain designs. kits etc, but as I say no one will ever design any of these things with universal appeal. To me it seems that some feel the need to make a mountain out of a molehill just to have a go at the club, or specific individuals within the club set up.

Designs are always subjective. But the splat Robin is pretty much universally hated. And the consensus view on the quality and designs of the merchandise range are almost all unanimously negative too.

When you’re getting it so wrong, it brings into question decision making at the club and it’s suggests they don’t know their customers; it’s symptomatic of a bigger issue. I think that’s why it is a source of continued conversation. We want to see a club being run well.

• Like 2

In reality, I quite like the round ‘city’ logo taken from the old match day programme. I think it could work well with our actual robin badge.

I also do not think the home kit design is awful. It may look a tad cheap, but if pulled together a little tighter (for want of a better word), it could have looked classy. Away kit, again, is not a bad design. Match the colours up and stick a green club badge on, it may have been a popular kit.

A blue away kit would not been a problem. It would be different for us and could be a popular kit. 

What I don’t understand is the new/retro robin being used. It does not tie into our main badge in shape nor vibe. The round ‘city’ badge (of the old programme) I could see being used on a special edition kit. It certainly would not look bad.

Another problem is that it seems our primary training colour is now sky blue. Why?

Now put that odd robin on the blue training kit: dastardly. 

• Like 1