IGNORED

Kalas

Silvio Dante

Great to see TK back in the side today, and defensively, I thought he was excellent. What was noticeable was how much less comfortable he was on the ball than Atkinson, and I felt that, at times, limited our distribution options from the back - resolved as the game went on by the excellent James picking up to receive. 

However, overall, and considering the time out, have to be happy with that - a few quality interventions, looked fit and played at pace and will only get better as any rustiness is worked off.

• Like 10

Best defender still at the club by a mile. 
Never had injury issues for 3 seasons so because he picked up a bad one hes labelled as not worth the money. 
If he will drop his wages to the new structure the club wish to pay going forward then he will be a quality signing for next season if he renews. 

• Like 6

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

Great to see TK back in the side today, and defensively, I thought he was excellent. What was noticeable was how much less comfortable he was on the ball than Atkinson, and I felt that, at times, limited our distribution options from the back - resolved as the game went on by the excellent James picking up to receive. 

However, overall, and considering the time out, have to be happy with that - a few quality interventions, looked fit and played at pace and will only get better as any rustiness is worked off.

Even though he’s not a progressive runner like Rob, as a right footer his body position for receiving passed as a LCB is spot on.  Some prodigious leaps second half and physical when they played into feet.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yeah I’d agree with that. On a pure defensive basis I’d have him above anyone else we have and he is deceptively quick so adds some good pace back there.

There was one bit second half when the attacked down their inside left, and TK put the after-burners on.  Was like Sonic The Hedgehog on a boost!  He glides.

• Like 12
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I’d like him on a new (reduced) contract really. He’s probably our best defender still. 

Totally agree. I think he is likely to get other offers, but hopefully he feels settled in Bristol and we could offer a new 2 year deal with a 3rd year if he plays a certain number of games.

• Flames 1

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There was one bit second half when the attacked down their inside left, and TK put the after-burners on.  Was like Sonic The Hedgehog on a boost!  He glides.

Today really highlighted just how quick he is. There were a few occasions he chased back and out paced the strikers. Very different to RA, but that's no bad thing, thought he was very good today.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Even though he’s not a progressive runner like Rob, as a right footer his body position for receiving passed as a LCB is spot on.  Some prodigious leaps second half and physical when they played into feet.

I had completely forgotten how high he gets up for a relatively short CB.

Covered once superbly by Sykes but for a bloke who hadn’t played 90 minutes in 11 months he did a brilliant job today.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Horrible to lose big Rob to an ACL - but what a player to have as cover. Vital we keep him fit. Excellent over the last 1.8 games. 

Second this; hell of a player to have to cover for injury.

Long term; likely won’t be here, but certainly a solid option to have for the remains of the season.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I did say last week I thought might change the way we play out from the back slightly not having Atkinson . One that he’s better on the ball & he’s also left footed. However kalas is a out & out defender . There was a through ball in the first half that kalas read really well & snuffed out . I think Rob may have got done in the same place . Kalas is quicker  . There’s a plus & minus 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

We cannot afford him. 

But boy would it be great to keep him.

Is crowdfunding allowed??

If he likes it here, perhaps he'll stay on wages that we can justify moving forward.

13 minutes ago, Beni71 said:

May be a controversial opinion but Atkinson is more rounded than TK. Love Kalas defending ability, but to be competitive we will need a ball playing CB. 

His passing stats are actually alright at times but probably much shorter range, more conservative and less ability to carry forward than others.

Wonder if injuries have impacted the latter point too.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Beni71 said:

May be a controversial opinion but Atkinson is more rounded than TK. Love Kalas defending ability, but to be competitive we will need a ball playing CB. 

Another controversial one, but Kalas and Atkinson is the CB pairing I’ve wanted to see for a while now. And, yes, that is harsh on Vyner after the strides he’s made this season, but I think that pairing has balance and serious potential. 

• Like 1