IGNORED

Kalas

Silvio Dante

3 minutes ago, Beni71 said:

May be a controversial opinion but Atkinson is more rounded than TK. Love Kalas defending ability, but to be competitive we will need a ball playing CB. 

Not controversial at all . I agree & that’s the way the games gone. In the champ though there’s always room for a kalas. If he can stay fit & he agrees to reduced wages like wiemann & wells I’d love to see him stay. How old is he 29/30 ? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, tin said:

Another controversial one, but Kalas and Atkinson is the CB pairing I’ve wanted to see for a while now. And, yes, that is harsh on Vyner after the strides he’s made this season, but I think that pairing has balance and serious potential. 

If Kalas stays (a big IF), Vyner will be in the extraordinary position of winning Player of the Year and then not being a first choice the following season. 

Which is as it should be. 

Afterthought - Atkinson won't be fit by August, so Vyner and Kalas it is (hopefully).

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

7 minutes ago, tin said:

Another controversial one, but Kalas and Atkinson is the CB pairing I’ve wanted to see for a while now. And, yes, that is harsh on Vyner after the strides he’s made this season, but I think that pairing has balance and serious potential. 

It’s a good shout. Webster and Kalas very good together. But…..not sure Kalas will be that player again

3 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

If Kalas stays (a big IF), Vyner will be in the extraordinary position of winning Player of the Year and then not being a first choice the following season. 

Afterthought- Atkinson won't be fit by August, so Vyner and Kalas it is (hopefully).

I’d hope we’ll have more centre halves in the squad by the start of next season anyway 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Afterthought - Atkinson won't be fit by August, so Vyner and Kalas it is (hopefully).

Vyner has been a revelation this season and today, again, looked a very decent Championship player not just a player playing in the Championship (huge difference). Given the improvement levels he has to be very close to Player of the Season assuming he doesn't lose the plot in the next 13 games. For me it's him or Scott, nobody else in the frame over the whole season. But come August that is history and you start again, fight for the shirt and keep it by performing.......that is clearly the ethos that Nige is looking to build.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, tin said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

14 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

What this man said!

Competition for places is the key.

• Like 2

In the first half, he showed how good he is at reading the game. He just came across the 6 yard box at exactly the right time and put in an incredible block. It’s not just physical speed, it’s also mental speed and experience.

Plus after Max played him into trouble in the first half, they had a little “chat”, probably along the lines of “don’t give me a hospital pass with 2 of their attackers on me, just play it long”, which is what many of us have wanted to say to Max before now with one or 2 of his unnecessarily risky passes at the back. Again the “voice of experience”.

Edited by Dr Balls

30 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I'd have to disagree with this. For me, he's got the shirt, he keeps the shirt. Obviously a lot can change in the close season though. 

It'd certainly be nice to be put into a position where NP has to make these difficult choices though. 

I really hope ZV gets player of the year. He deserves it. 

6 minutes ago, sinenomine said:

I'd have to disagree with this. For me, he's got the shirt, he keeps the shirt. Obviously a lot can change in the close season though. 

It'd certainly be nice to be put into a position where NP has to make these difficult choices though. 

I really hope ZV gets player of the year. He deserves it. 

A new season is a fresh start, the slate wiped clean.

So hypothtically of course, but...

Start of next season, our centre backs are Kalas, Vyner, Atkinson, Naismith, new signing.

You pick on ability and go from there over the season.

So Kalas and Atkinson start, for me. 

All hypothetical as of today. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

36 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

A new season is a fresh start, the slate wiped clean.

So hypothtically of course, but...

Start of next season, our centre backs are Kalas, Vyner, Atkinson, Naismith, new signing.

You pick on ability and go from there over the season.

So Kalas and Atkinson start, for me. 

All hypothetical as of today. 

It’s hypothetical because there is virtually no chance of Atkinson being fit for the start of next season anyway.

Based on recent form Vyner might not be here in August, if we don’t offer him a new contract soon I expect Inter Milan will be after him the way he’s played recently..

16 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

It’s hypothetical because there is virtually no chance of Atkinson being fit for the start of next season anyway.

Based on recent form Vyner might not be here in August, if we don’t offer him a new contract soon I expect Inter Milan will be after him the way he’s played recently..

We've triggered our year option already. Surely.

Unlucky Inter! 

knowing Tomas’s missus pretty well, I have previously said to her I hope he stays a long time. Following on from last week and todays positive performance, I hope he does indeed sign a new deal.

like nakhi, he seems an absolute model pro and given ties to the area, hopefully he extends his contract should he be offered one.

46 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

There was a point early in the first half where Zac was pointing and shouting for Kalas to change position slightly, and even from the stand it seemed clear that Kalas looked surprised, maybe thinking "when did he grow up?" :) He seemed happy to take it though.

It’s what brings the best out of Kalas, needs someone to lead him through games which is what Webster did. It’s why he’s been dodgy when he’s been the one in charge of the defence. It’s a testament to Vyner’s improvement as we’ve seen some calamitous performances from that centre back pairing in the past.

I like Kalas and would definitely try and retain him providing we have the right players to sit alongside him. If he can develop a strong partnership with Vyner in the coming weeks we’ll be in a good position.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HorfieldRed said:

knowing Tomas’s missus pretty well, I have previously said to her I hope he stays a long time. Following on from last week and todays positive performance, I hope he does indeed sign a new deal.

like nakhi, he seems an absolute model pro and given ties to the area, hopefully he extends his contract should he be offered one.

He can only sign a deal if he is offered one.

10 hours ago, Diddlydonkey said:

Zac Vyner player of the year? Alex Scott says hello.

Zak for me. Scott will take young player. The reason Zak gets it over Alex, in my opinion, is that everyone already knew what a special talent Alex was. He's just continued to show it. Whereas Zak was on his way out of the club and there wouldn't have been a tear shed from anyone had he gone last summer. The turnaround from him has been absolutely massive and it's that that means he deserves the award. 

As for TK, would love to see him sign a deal like Nakhi has. He said when he signed for us that it finally felt like he'd found a home here, so the chances are that he'd be open to it I think.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Vidal said:

Seeing as yesterday was his first start in virtually a year & we all know he’s on our highest wages, it is understandable that the club won’t rush to offer him one.

He has to stay fit for the remaining games first, be receptive to what would be a huge reduction even if we do offer him something, as well.

Doubt anything will happen until the season ends, but Pearson will probably decide around April, I guess.

Edited by GrahamC

7 hours ago, HorfieldRed said:

Must be a different life being a pro’s other half.  Especially when your partner’s contract is coming to an end, and he might get offers from here there and everywhere.  Let’s hope he’s under the thumb!!!

2 hours ago, KegCity said:

It’s what brings the best out of Kalas, needs someone to lead him through games which is what Webster did. It’s why he’s been dodgy when he’s been the one in charge of the defence. It’s a testament to Vyner’s improvement as we’ve seen some calamitous performances from that centre back pairing in the past.

I like Kalas and would definitely try and retain him providing we have the right players to sit alongside him. If he can develop a strong partnership with Vyner in the coming weeks we’ll be in a good position.

I know what you mean, I’d say it’s more that he doesn’t want to be the leader for everyone else, he also wants to concentrate on his own game too.  I thought comms between him and Zak was good yesterday.

2 hours ago, Vidal said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Seeing as yesterday was his first start in virtually a year & we all know he’s on our highest wages, it is understandable that the club won’t rush to offer him one.

He has to stay fit for the remaining games first, be receptive to what would be a huge reduction even if we do offer him something, as well.

Doubt anything will happen until the season ends, but Pearson will probably decide around April, I guess.

Exactly.  And it’s exactly what Nige has told us too.