IGNORED

Max O'Leary

extonsred

55 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Partly because his positioning is better so doesn’t need too.  He makes a lot of saves.  Some of them could easily be argued he should make but that’s partly because he is in the right position and moves his feet better than Bentley.  He doesn’t have Bentley’s fault of awful foot movement going to his left for example.   He also commands his area better and distributes quicker. 

Again, not for me.

Cant remember which game it was - possibly Hull. Hull striker went clean through on goal and Max was VERY slow coming off his line. Fortunately the stiker shot it straight at him and we got let off. He gave him too much time and the striker had an easy goal to score and any other time, it would have been a goal.

24 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Again, not for me.

Cant remember which game it was - possibly Hull. Hull striker went clean through on goal and Max was VERY slow coming off his line. Fortunately the stiker shot it straight at him and we got let off. He gave him too much time and the striker had an easy goal to score and any other time, it would have been a goal.

for clarity I’m talking about positioning as in making diving saves rather than rushing out which Bentley was better at. 

Foot movement pre saves is a very underrated and unnoticed skill 

50 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Again, not for me.

Or….he could’ve come haring out erratically and not been able to set himself.  He basically bided his time, made the striker make the first move…and saved it.

I guess you’re another one who thinks every one on one should be a goal.  The evidence shows that is incorrect.

Cant believe you’re criticising an important save???

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Or….he could’ve come haring out erratically and not been able to set himself.  He basically bided his time, made the striker make the first move…and saved it.

I guess you’re another one who thinks every one on one should be a goal.  The evidence shows that is incorrect.

Cant believe you’re criticising an important save???

O'Leary was rooted. He didnt close him down at all. He was almost giving them a goal - He was very lucky the striker completely fluffed it. Next time - in the championship, they'll score.

15 minutes ago, Riaz said:

O'Leary was rooted. He didnt close him down at all. He was almost giving them a goal - He was very lucky the striker completely fluffed it. Next time - in the championship, they'll score.

He doesn’t have to be moving forwards.  The closer he gets, the forward movement he’s making, makes it more difficult to react.  He’s waiting to see if a right footed striker on the left side of the goal is gonna lash one with his left foot or whether he’s gonna try to manoeuvre it onto his right.

He gets his angles right.

IMG_8606.jpeg.2a67542f4097926e0cf16eefa89b1367.jpeg

Especially the awkwardness of Connelly trying to work it onto his right foot.

So what if the striker hit a weak shot, you can argue that’s because O’Leary delayed him.  In fairness he might’ve saved it coming rushing out too.  But your assertion that every other time the striker scores is “wide of the mark” - no pun intended.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He doesn’t have to be moving forwards.  The closer he gets, the forward movement he’s making, makes it more difficult to react.  He’s waiting to see if a right footed striker on the left side of the goal is gonna lash one with his left foot or whether he’s gonna try to manoeuvre it onto his right.

So what if the striker hit a weak shot, you can argue that’s because O’Leary delayed him.  In fairness he might’ve saved it coming rushing out too.  But your assertion that every other time the striker scores is “wide of the mark” - no pun intended.

Yeah I’ve picked up Max on a lot but didn’t see a huge amount wrong with what he did there. It’s a percentage movement and there might be more than one way to skin a cat vis rushing out, but he’s made a reasonable decision there. Not a move to criticise for me.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If you watch the highlights, you'll see the hull striker picks the ball up, at least 10 yards outside the box. And is this screenshot, a second or two later - Max is a yard outside his penalty box. That is slow. He's hardly moved.

I'm not saying Max isnt a good keeper - My original point was, i think Bentley was a better keeper.

15 minutes ago, Riaz said:

If you watch the highlights, you'll see the hull striker picks the ball up, at least 10 yards outside the box. And is this screenshot, a second or two later - Max is a yard outside his penalty box. That is slow. He's hardly moved.

I'm not saying Max isnt a good keeper - My original point was, i think Bentley was a better keeper.

Why commit himself, why not wait to see why Connelly does? He waits to see what he does with his first touch (outside the box).  It’s not being slow, he’s just not committing himself, making sure his angles are right.  If Connelly takes another touch, then he comes out.

Thats fine if you think Bentley is a better keeper.  i suspect difference of opinions come from you are think constitutes a better keeper?  The answer doesn’t need to be black and white either.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Why commit himself, why not wait to see why Connelly does? He waits to see what he does with his first touch (outside the box).  It’s not being slow, he’s just not committing himself, making sure his angles are right.  If Connelly takes another touch, then he comes out.

Thats fine if you think Bentley is a better keeper.  i suspect difference of opinions come from you are think constitutes a better keeper?  The answer doesn’t need to be black and white either.

The person i was replying to said he thought Max had better positioning. Thats why i brought up the Hull thing.

The main reason i think Bentley was better - was that he seemed to make more "match winning" saves.

Thats not to say Max cant be better than Bentley in the future. He's just not there yet IMO.

• Hmmm 1

3 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

We should have gone in for the Forest keeper who did so well at Luton last year. I like Max but he isn’t going to get you top 6. I think this is the weakest our GK department has been in 20 years plus. 

That would be the same keeper who has been on the bench for them for every Premiership game so far?

Seeing as we know now there is absolutely nothing left in the budget for Pearson to spend, that suggestion is Kasper Schmeichel signing levels of “not going to happen”.

Mind you I’m sure you were also suggesting Keiffer Moore.

I wish that we had a more experienced alternative to Max (not necessarily to start) but it seems we can’t afford it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

That would be the same keeper who has been on the bench for them for every Premiership game so far?

Seeing as we know now there is absolutely nothing left in the budget for Pearson to spend, that suggestion is Kasper Schmeichel signing levels of “not going to happen”.

I wish that we had a more experienced alternative to Max (not necessarily to start) but it seems we can’t afford it.

Got the feeling he was especially happy to beat us too - perhaps a bit of unhappiness after his trial with us ages back?

On 05/09/2023 at 14:48, 95red said:

Max a mid average  championship  keeper  still learning  his trade ,Bentley  top  half championship  keeper  who got a great move to the prem ,at the moment  Bents is a better keeper. 

I doubt there were many English keepers available for Wolves at the time for what they wanted. Brentford were happy to let him go while in the championship because of the same reasons why many fans on here don't rate him. 

• Like 2

On 05/09/2023 at 14:48, 95red said:

Max a mid average  championship  keeper  still learning  his trade ,Bentley  top  half championship  keeper  who got a great move to the prem ,at the moment  Bents is a better keeper. 

It’s  to do with him being English and is an easy number in their squad, the same as Scott Carson at Man City. 

Bentley has played a whopping 180 minutes of football since leaving us, if he was that good another championship club would have got him as a number 1

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Keiffer Moore would have buried those chances Wells missed at the weekend. He’s a very good player and would score goals. 

6 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Keiffer Moore would have buried those chances Wells missed at the weekend. He’s a very good player and would score goals. 

You’re sort of ignoring the fact these players are currently at Premier League clubs & the whole we haven’t the budget for their wages bit, aren’t you?

Mbappe is really good at football, too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

It’s  to do with him being English and is an easy number in their squad, the same as Scott Carson at Man City. 

Bentley has played a whopping 180 minutes of football since leaving us, if he was that good another championship club would have got him as a number 1

So Bents ain't good enough  for the championship  then ffs

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

How many can buy him?

I personally don’t think many would sign him, unless it’s for financial reasons you’d expect a keeper to want to play games rather than play second fiddle.

Even more with Bentley, he’s 30 so supposed to be entering his prime, not wasting it sat on a bench. 

1 hour ago, 95red said:

Do you know what offers were out there ,he chose a premiership dream good on him .

No of course not, but it’s clearly not for footballing reasons he was signed.

180 minutes since Jan, he’s gone from playing nearly every game to being a back up keeper to make up English numbers. 

Edited by Wedontplayinblue

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

If he had the sharpness to get on the end of them. Wells started the move and was about 15 yards behind Bell for the chance he hit straight at the keeper.

I watched that back on Monday.

I’ve always felt Wells has a long stride pattern for a short(ish) / nippy player, he rarely looks like he’s sprinting.  That chance, just watch how he somehow gets faster and faster without seeming to put more grunt into it.  He kinda glides.

IMG_8625.jpeg

IMG_8626.jpeg

IMG_8627.jpeg

IMG_8628.jpeg

3 hours ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

I personally don’t think many would sign him, unless it’s for financial reasons you’d expect a keeper to want to play games rather than play second fiddle.

Even more with Bentley, he’s 30 so supposed to be entering his prime, not wasting it sat on a bench. 

No of course not, but it’s clearly not for footballing reasons he was signed.

180 minutes since Jan, he’s gone from playing nearly every game to being a back up keeper to make up English numbers. 

Max wouldn't  make a prem bench ,Bents did because  he's more experienced & a better keeper at the moment. Move suited all party's on a  big wage at ours & he probably  got the same deal at wolves .