IGNORED

Max O'Leary

extonsred

On 26/02/2023 at 02:25, extonsred said:

Not received much praise over the past 12 games but how my confidence in him has changed. He is very good positionally..and just watching the longer highlights from yesterday he was drawn to the near post but when the ball was switched to the far side he sped across the goal to block a shot at the other. Minutes later he came well out of goal to reach a high ball cleanly amongst a melee of players. Quick and decisive...becoming a really goalie ... and really beginning to appreciate his strengths and of late, few weaknesses.

Max is an excellent keeper. Lord I hope he stays fit!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

You said the same about Vyner. Changed your mind yet ?

Some people only see what is immediately in front of them and form a fixed and final judgement on the player there and then. In football players improve and players deteriorate. Vyner is obviously our best example of that currently (and before that "League 1 at best" Semenyo - how embarrassing for the MANY clowns that proclaimed that on here). What we hopefully see from Max moving forwards is that step up from competent Championship Keeper to very good at the level. Nige is certainly not picking him every week to stagnate or go backwards!! 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

His game at Aston Villa in 2019 was fantastic especially. Him v them at times!

That said we were robbed by officials that way, two huge and probably incorrect calls especially the penalty.

That penalty at Villa was one of the worst decisions I’ve ever seen given against us. It actually looked more than simply a poor refereeing decision. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

That penalty at Villa was one of the worst decisions I’ve ever seen given against us. It actually looked more than simply a poor refereeing decision. 

The Weimann disallowed goal first half too, although that was much more marginal.

Didn't the Aston Villa player handle it in the build up the penalty.

I seldom wish it on clubs but I'd habe been quite happy had Aston Villa sunk into the FFP and admin morass in 2018..always felt like they were just a little too protected from reality.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

The stats piece is interesting, but it kind of plays to what we’re all seeing - Max is a decent shot stopping keeper. 

A stat that really showed the other side of the coin to me was the PNE game. Preston won 39 aerial duels, c25% more than any other team in the league. The key reason for that was the distribution - Max’s floaty kicks are begging to be attacked by opposition players. You played in defence, I played in defence - the balls that come out are a gift to any centre half, and particularly against Preston, their tactic of pressing us and making Max distribute was the key reason we struggled second half. 

Potentially with Kal in the side it’ll get better as he won’t have to distribute longer as much, but as you said earlier, there is a tendency to play players into trouble. I think that’s because, in part, Max knows kicking is a weakness (as the stats prove) so tries to avoid having to do so.

I think we (and the stats) pretty much see the same strengths and weaknesses - I probably see the distribution as a far bigger issue than yourself though and it’s enough for me to want an upgrade because of the pressure it subsequently brings on us.

I think it is fair to say we are pretty much aligned in our view.

I see the issue too.  I guess my only “concern” is - how much it might cost to get that keeper.  I quite liked George Long, he kicks it 30 yards further, and is more confident with it at his feet.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

His game at Aston Villa in 2019 was fantastic especially. Him v them at times!

That said we were robbed by officials that way, two huge and probably incorrect calls especially the penalty.

Yup! The bollox I read about this boy here gets on my baps! Do we need competition? I’m not sure we haven’t since I’ve never watched the other las. 

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

His distribution needs work. If we just ignore the tactics of kicking to the touchline it is the general play distribution where he can improve. Still better than Bentley though!!

Just like outfield players work on pressing triggers, I think Max needs to concentrate on identifying opposition pressing triggers. He does play us into trouble like the 3rd minute v Brum when he tried to chip a pass to Pring. Like he did playing to Vyner the other night who was being pressed.

Other than that I think he is fine. When I say fine I don’t really know if he can help us move towards the playoffs or not. But paying out for a better keeper isn’t a priority imho, not at the likely cost anyway.

We don’t know how good Stefan or Harv are yet. That’s something to address either by playing them at some point or bringing someone in. 

Harvey looks too small to be a keeper. I know he’s young but will he get any taller ? 

I don't rate him at Champ level, and still don't.

It seems like the defenders in front of him are less confident too - when bents was dropped, the defence seemed to 'trust' Max more on crosses etc.

It's seems that trust is slowly eroding.

We certainly need players in other positions first - but it's hard to imagine a genuine promotion attempt with Max as No 1

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

21 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The Weimann disallowed goal first half too, although that was much more marginal.

Didn't the Aston Villa player handle it in the build up the penalty.

I seldom wish it on clubs but I'd habe been quite happy had Aston Villa sunk into the FFP and admin morass in 2018..always felt like they were just a little too protected from reality.

Their bloke just fell over following a normal aerial challenge at the Holt End. It was cheating and the referee went for it. It was pathetic. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

Their bloke just fell over following a normal aerial challenge at the Holt End. It was cheating and the referee went for it. It was pathetic. 

Yes, shall have to look back at that..had it been the other end etc.

I really do dislike Veeeeelaaa.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

A great shot stopper and has great anticipation. I actually don’t mind him trying these quick passes/throws that don’t always come off. I’d rather see that than have a keeper who slows everything down and rolls it to the CB every time. Without spending millions, which seems to be out the question anyway, we’d struggle to find a better keeper at this level in my opinion. I also think there are others areas on the pitch that are much more a priority in terms of recruitment, like others have said my only concern is the lack of experience if Max gets injured. But I have no issues with Max being our number 1 this season. I’m much more concerned about the lack of creativity at the other end of the pitch.. 

• Robin 1

Nige is pretty unequivocal here.  

“I’m not bothered because he’s really good,” Pearson said, of O'Leary's performances amid the criticism and external concern. “He’s a much better keeper than Dan Bentley was. He’s got more presence, he’s cleaner, better distribution, he commands the box and he’s a player who will get better.

“You’ve got to remember last year was his first full season in the Championship. He’s a really good goalkeeper.

“He made some straightforward saves (against Hull), his handling was clean. I don’t think there was anything worldie, for lots of photographs to be taken, I think there was a lot of handling that he needed to be (clean); when things are right down your throat and bouncing in front, they’re the ones that you can spill. I thought he was really, really clean.”

I’ve not changed my view on Max, he’s plenty good enough to be one of two senior keepers, our problem here isn’t him, it is that we don’t have a second one.

Nige is no fool, he realises there are no funds available to him to alter this so is going public with a massive show of faith in Max to give him a boost.

He’s also brought Bajic back into the picture because however he does, he’s by far the most experienced deputy keeper & he realises he might need him at some point.

• Like 1

Whilst I do think it is good Pearson is making clear that O’Leary has his backing, I do think he shows an uncharacteristic lack of class in naming Bentley outright. Not sure if Bentley and he had a major falling out but it makes Pearson look a little petty. You can praise someone without actively criticising someone else.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Whilst I do think it is good Pearson is making clear that O’Leary has his backing, I do think he shows an uncharacteristic lack of class in naming Bentley outright. Not sure if Bentley and he had a major falling out but it makes Pearson look a little petty. You can praise someone without actively criticising someone else.

Agreed. And “much better”? Really?

I think Max is good but he’s not Bentley standard; not yet at least. 

15 minutes ago, One Team said:

Unfair naming him like that in the public domain but I agree with Pearson. Only thing I can confidently say Bentley was better than him at is 1v1s and Max is pretty good at that himself. O’Leary is only improving aswell

37 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Likewise, I felt this also. Does come across quite petty and can’t say I really agree at all. At best both keepers are of equal overall ability, but with very different strengths and weaknesses.

That said I don’t think DB will be particularly bothered by those comments from NP. Seems to me he’s done alright for himself since leaving the club for pastures new. 

• Like 1

On 29/08/2023 at 08:34, ashton_fan said:

Nige said "people like to moan", he must be spending time on OTIB

Cotts said this too! He said it was a "little West Country habit" of ours, to have a bit of a moan. Think this was early doors in the promotion season, did we lose at home to Oxford in the League Cup? About then, it was. We didn't moan so much after that, that season.

Not sure having a bit of a grumble is exclusively West Country mind, not sure Cotts was right about that.

On 30/08/2023 at 07:12, One Team said:

Yes really.  I am genuinely amazed that people think Bentley is better.  If I were a centre half I know which keeper I'd rather have playing behind me.  Give me solid, reliable and calm over spectacular but erratic and nervy anyday.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Yes really.  I am genuinely amazed that people think Bentley is better.  If I were a centre half I know which keeper I'd rather have playing behind me.  Give me solid, reliable and calm over spectacular but erratic and nervy anyday.

Bents loved a camera save which some fans like, when he messed up he messed up massively! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I disagree, and likewise I’m amazed at your perspective but then that’s the point of the forum I guess! 

Edited by One Team
  • Like 1