IGNORED

Jason Knight signed from Derby - Confirmed

Bat Fastard

10 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I do remember Nige saying in an interview not too long ago that we would like a striker, however he noted to get better than what we have got, will cost money.

He did indeed…said (paraphrased) - I’d like another striker like Semenyo, but they cost too much.

So, my interpretation of that he wants physical not target man per se.  As others have said, a forward that can press.  Morris and Adebayo press, especially Adebayo, and are big too.  It’s why we tried to get Ogbene…the most like Semenyo out there for the money.  But we couldn’t budge Rotherham and their survival bid.  The summer has seen Luton take their chance on him as they are PL.  So, not a Chris Martin, who in fairness isn’t an aerial target man, but more a back to goal / chest down / linker.

A lot riding on Tommy this year , remember last season was his break through season and he was excellent and to be honest on his day he really does look the real deal , 

this season though he has to live up to the hype last year was a free hit for him really plus other teams will now know what he is all about. 
we do all seem to be forgetting about Sam Bell mind Tommy overtook Sam last year in terms of development but I’m sure the coaches were adamant at one stage that Sam would be first team material before Tommy 

Would be great for both Sam and obviously the club if Sam catches up or even surpasses Tommy ??

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think if we get Knight AND keep Scott we’ll see some more rotation with the central midfield meaning we won’t need to flog James (whose a year older), Williams (with his crisp packet hamstrings) and Naismith who may be required to fill in at CB every so often.

Looks like some Derby fans saying Knight can play behind the front 3 I.e where Scott plays so also gives him a rest/replacement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Nathandao said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Knight_(footballer)

Someone's been busy...

'Jason Paul Knight (born 13 February 2001) is an Irish footballer who plays as a midfielder for EFL Championship club Bristol City and for the Republic of Ireland national team.[3]'

Look at the derby part 

In July 2023, Knight left Derby to join Bristol City and play for Nigel ‘Champions’ Pearson as city are going on a Premier League tour

?

15 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

55 goals last season. Not enough in 46 games. We don’t have plenty of top six quality strikers. We have one 

This is true but Conway and Bell will be a year older and Cornick a bit more settled into the team. I'd hope for all of them to potentially have a better goals to games ratio than last season. Conway in particular has got a real striker's instinct about him.

Also, goals don't purely come through strikes scoring but also players creating. Should Knight come in, Mehemti settle and both create chances that will help.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not going to turn my nose up at the opportunity to sign a top quality striker but I don't think it's the only element that can get more goals into the team. 

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

This is true but Conway and Bell will be a year older and Cornick a bit more settled into the team. I'd hope for all of them to potentially have a better goals to games ratio than last season. Conway in particular has got a real striker's instinct about him.

Also, goals don't purely come through strikes scoring but also players creating. Should Knight come in, Mehemti settle and both create chances that will help.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not going to turn my nose up at the opportunity to sign a top quality striker but I don't think it's the only element that can get more goals into the team. 

I agree with you but I see those strikers that could be good enough to play central striker in a 4-3-3, in a team finishing in the play offs as Conway and that is it. I don’t see Bell able to do that for a prolonged number of games. Cornick the same, much better wide.  And Wells isn’t good enough either.  

It’s the same reason I think we need a keeper, if we are to aim for the play offs.  O’Leary and Conway are good enough in my opinion. But if either of them get a 2-3 month injury the drop off in quality in their positions would be significant 

• Flames 1

4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I agree with you but I see those strikers that could be good enough to play central striker in a 4-3-3, in a team finishing in the play offs as Conway and that is it. I don’t see Bell able to do that for a prolonged number of games. Cornick the same, much better wide.  And Wells isn’t good enough either.  

It’s the same reason I think we need a keeper, if we are to aim for the play offs.  O’Leary and Conway are good enough in my opinion. But if either of them get a 2-3 month injury the drop off in quality in their positions would be significant 

I don’t think you can base a recruitment strategy on “what if these guys get injured?”

If they get injured, we’ll use youngsters to replace them. Yep, they’ll be a drop in quality but the youngster could step up.

Three alternatives to this approach:

1: sign a first-team quality player to sit on the bench. Would cost a fee and wages.

2: replace our starting strikers and keeper with someone better. If you’re going to spend, why not upgrade? Costs money though.

3. Get a loan player in as back up. Pearson doesn’t seem to like developing other teams’ players though, and these deals often require playing time guarantees.

In our current position, going with what we’ve got seems quite sensible unless we can upgrade at an affordable price.

If this all happens ideal MF for me is

Naismith

Scott Knight

Sure there will be plenty of rotation and would be a big ask of two young lads and someone newish to the position in Naismith. Just think the energy and ability in that 3 could be up there with the best in the league. 

• Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

Just now, JoeAman08 said:

If this all happens ideal MF for me is

Naismith

Scott Knight

Sure there will be plenty of rotation and would be a big ask of two young lads and someone newish to the position in Naismith. Just think the energy and ability in that 3 could be up there with the best in the league. 

Not a midfield I'd be unhappy to see at all. I'm just so reticent to not use Matty James in an ideal midfield. But that's ultimately a good thing, options and high quality competition. As things are we have Naismith, James, Scott, Williams, Taylor-Clarke, Weimann and Benarous vying for the three midefield roles (Weimann and Benarous for the more advanced midfield role). Add Knight and our midfield is strong and deep. 

22 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

We extended Wells’ contract last season by a further two years, logic behind that must be we see him as playing a significant role. He’s also played in a side that’s won the playoffs & (briefly) in the Prem for Burnley, that’s not too shabby a CV.

I know Cornick isn’t rated by many on here but he was a squad player for a side that made the playoffs two years running, he scored 13 in 21/22, we didn’t buy him to discard him already & he can play through the middle.

As I pointed out last week Sam Bell scored more goals last season than Liam Delap, but people would be going mental if we signed him on loan..

Then of course we have Weimann, not seen as a striker but the scorer of 22 just a year ago. If he had to play up front it’s not like asking Jay DaSilva to do so, is it?

I think Nige sees O’Leary as his first choice goalkeeper whatever is the view on here, I do think we are short of experience in terms of cover for him though & depending what happens with Bajic that is an area we might bring someone in.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Chessels Chick said:

Knight fever ?

The media team have an opportunity to play a blinder here. Take the below clip - easy to do the suspension bridge for opening pan. Cut to JK comparing his boots with some in the window. Pan to him strutting down the street and then gradually pan up and he’s wearing the away kit.

But no. We’ll just do the roof.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

28 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I don’t think you can base a recruitment strategy on “what if these guys get injured?”

If they get injured, we’ll use youngsters to replace them. Yep, they’ll be a drop in quality but the youngster could step up.

Three alternatives to this approach:

1: sign a first-team quality player to sit on the bench. Would cost a fee and wages.

2: replace our starting strikers and keeper with someone better. If you’re going to spend, why not upgrade? Costs money though.

3. Get a loan player in as back up. Pearson doesn’t seem to like developing other teams’ players though, and these deals often require playing time guarantees.

In our current position, going with what we’ve got seems quite sensible unless we can upgrade at an affordable price.

I would absolutely look to upgrade with the Scott money.  I think you can recruit so that one injury to one player doesn’t hugely reduce the quality on the pitch.  The only two positions where that would happen that remain, after a good window so far, is GK and ST for me.  

Edited by And Its Smith
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The media team have an opportunity to play a blinder here. Take the below clip - easy to do the suspension bridge for opening pan. Cut to JK comparing his boots with some in the window. Pan to him strutting down the street and then gradually pan up and he’s wearing the away kit.

Yep that's what I envisaged! Would be on a par with the Cast Away/Wilson reveal ... 

21 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Good idea for a chant too, although was thinking this might be easier!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I would absolutely look to upgrade with the Scott money.  I think you can recruit so that one injury to one player doesn’t hugely reduce the quality on the pitch.  The only two positions where that would happen that remain, after a good window so far, is GK and ST for me.  

Um' ....What Scott money.?  He is with us this season at the least?

• Hmmm 2

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

We extended Wells’ contract last season by a further two years, logic behind that must be we see him as playing a significant role. He’s also played in a side that’s won the playoffs & (briefly) in the Prem for Burnley, that’s not too shabby a CV.

I know Cornick isn’t rated by many on here but he was a squad player for a side that made the playoffs two years running, he scored 13 in 21/22, we didn’t buy him to discard him already & he can play through the middle.

As I pointed out last week Sam Bell scored more goals last season than Liam Delap, but people would be going mental if we signed him on loan..

Then of course we have Weimann, not seen as a striker but the scorer of 22 just a year ago. If he had to play up front it’s not like asking Jay DaSilva to do so, is it?

I think Nige sees O’Leary as his first choice goalkeeper whatever is the view on here, I do think we are short of experience in terms of cover for him though & depending what happens with Bajic that is an area we might bring someone in.

I think Cornick did have a rough entrance into the team a little, but I still rate him highly. Much like Andi, he’s very fit, can press for 90mins and is decent on the ball and in front of goal. Personally I think his passing could be improved but that’s nitpicking.

Will be a very good squad player who I can see being utilised off the bench to see out games with his relentless pressing and pace which will help on the counter if we are defending for long periods. 

Someone teams need, but might not think is the most useful because they aren’t a “maverick” as Nige puts it.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Agree. And I think this is a massive season for Conway. Like you, I see signs of that real strikers instinct. He can be playing well, badly, indifferently, but he just seems to have the knack of finding a goal, whatever. That’s gold dust. And if he can really step on and prove that this coming season then he’ll be worth as much as Scott next summer.

Depends on the players around him too, as you say. But I also wonder how much it depends on the formation and style of play. Others on here have much more knowledge that me on that, but it seems to me that he perhaps relishes playing in a two up front rather than a 3 or a 1. (And has a definite understanding with Nakhi). If he is the genuine 25 goal a season striker that he looks like he could be then we have to build the formation around giving him what he needs. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, One Team said:

Good idea for a chant too, although was thinking this might be easier!

At Derby he's the black ( and white) night) so is obviously resilient to injury

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’m having a good summer (in some respects) in terms of players I like / rate / thought my be realistic:

• Chiedozie Ogbene gone PL (we couldn’t get Rotherham to budge in January)
  • Mads Andersen gone PL
  • Jason Knight looks like he is coming to us

Archie Collins has gone to Peterborough…that would’ve topped it off had he come here

I'm not too fussed about Ogbene, but I should have been delighted with Mads Anderson.

It does seem as if Jason Knight is coming, though, so not all bad.

3 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

Not a midfield I'd be unhappy to see at all. I'm just so reticent to not use Matty James in an ideal midfield. But that's ultimately a good thing, options and high quality competition. As things are we have Naismith, James, Scott, Williams, Taylor-Clarke, Weimann and Benarous vying for the three midefield roles (Weimann and Benarous for the more advanced midfield role). Add Knight and our midfield is strong and deep. 

I was one to admit I was wrong on James. His impact was noticeable. However so was Naismith’s impact when he missed time after the midfield switch. I’d prefer us to drop the 10 and one of the pivots. Have one “holding” and 2 more box to box. Obviously the midfield I mentioned would be fluid as both Scott and Knight can drop in and rotate. 

James is what 32 now? Had a few major injuries in his career and last year of deal. I don’t really see him being dropped or anything but I don’t see him really having as many minutes as the past couple of seasons.