IGNORED

Jason Knight signed from Derby - Confirmed

Bat Fastard

Good player.

Derby have produced some good homegrown players in recent years.  I like Max Bird too.  Cashin is attracting attention too.

Whilst not forgetting Buchanan (LB) who went to Werder Bremen on a free last summer.  Has barely played.  Would prefer him over Currie if it was a deal that could be done.

• Like 1

Knight would be a strong addition certainly. Gut feeling is that he'll stay with Derby for a bit longer however.

Is anyone else a bit surprised that Derby despite relegation, administration and near bankruptcy managed to retain Bird, Knight, ans Sibley? Possibly Cashin too although he's younger.

I'd add Bieilk to that although he technically is on loan at Championship level.

This is just one of those suggestion articles without any basis in fact that we are actually looking at him.

He’s out of contract this summer & if Derby failed to go up through the playoffs might be a possibility, but then so could half a dozen others.

Whether Scott goes or stays (or is sold & we loan him back) we’ll need another centre mid player to replace Massengo this summer.

• Like 2

On 27/02/2023 at 13:00, Mr Popodopolous said:

Knight would be a strong addition certainly. Gut feeling is that he'll stay with Derby for a bit longer however.

Is anyone else a bit surprised that Derby despite relegation, administration and near bankruptcy managed to retain Bird, Knight, ans Sibley? Possibly Cashin too although he's younger.

I'd add Bieilk to that although he technically is on loan at Championship level.

You think they might want to cashin on Cashin?

• Like 1

On 04/03/2023 at 20:37, Tom said:

I think we already have a player that might step into Alex's role, and that's Benarous. Of course, his recovery from injury remains to be seen, but he certainly seems to have talent.

I don’t think we can pin hopes and / or expectations on Benerous. He’ll need time, patience and some real TLC before coming back this time. I would suggest Pearson will be over cautious if anything. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

I don’t think we can pin hopes and / or expectations on Benerous. He’ll need time, patience and some real TLC before coming back this time. I would suggest Pearson will be over cautious if anything. 

We might just have an extra season of Alex back on loan, so he might just get that time. 

6 minutes ago, Tom said:

We might just have an extra season of Alex back on loan, so he might just get that time. 

I find that almost impossible to believe. I don't think any of the big 4 are in for him and any other team in the Championship will want him available straight away.

Who is going to pay 20-25m for him only to potentially see him kicked around the Championship for a year?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I find that almost impossible to believe. I don't think any of the big 4 are in for him and any other team in the Championship will want him available straight away.

Who is going to pay 20-25m for him only to potentially see him kicked around the Championship for a year?

Okay, well, if you asked me 3.5 years ago would we have picked up a 16-year-old kid from Guernsey and then be asking for 20-25 million for him three years down the line, I would have told you that was impossible to believe.

The point I'm trying to make is we might not need to replace him with an external player in the summer, that there are plenty of players that can play that AMC role at the club (including one we just signed in Mehmeti). In the meantime, Benarous might well come good (even if Scott leaves in the summer). I'm not saying Benarous goes straight in to playing 40 games next season, that is unrealistic (but not impossible).

50 minutes ago, mozo said:

I don't know if Knight is any good but he fits the profile in terms of age, will have 150+ league games under his belt and contract expiring. 

Imho, he’s a good player.

image.thumb.png.79688e5dae1fc01f3786947f7b53d7ab.png

If Derby get promoted I’d say no chance of getting him.  He’s got a one-year option, which Derby will surely trigger…so we’d have to pay a fee.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Knight is an excellent player and would be a great replacement if Scott were to depart. I don't see Derby getting promoted. I expect the top 2 to remain the same to the end of the season and the in form Barnsley to win the play offs. 

Brave call.

Barnsley’s next 4 games are;

Plymouth, Wycombe, Sheffield Wednesday & Ipswich.

If they are still “in form” after that lot then maybe, but Ipswich or Derby would be very tough in the playoffs, big clubs.

25 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Brave call.

Barnsley’s next 4 games are;

Plymouth, Wycombe, Sheffield Wednesday & Ipswich.

If they are still “in form” after that lot then maybe, but Ipswich or Derby would be very tough in the playoffs, big clubs.

Not so much brave as an inevitability that we'll be heading again to Yorkshire to maintain the balance if the Blades are promoted and the Terriers relegated. 

With McCrorie and Dickie in the building and Roberts looking likely it seems that Defence is sorted and some physicality and height added too.

So phase one ✅

I think the next phase is recruitment of a CM and this guy is my no1 choice if we still looking at Lg1 Gems.  The need for a Marvin Elliott type goes away slightly (we have Naismith don’t forget), so he’s my pick.  We need to find the long term successor for one or more of James, Williams and Naismith for varying reasons.  I’ve left King out of that equation, as his playing role will naturally diminish.

Knight can do a bit (lot!) of everything either as a “6” or an “8”.

Only 22, 150+ appearances for Derby and 17 Ireland caps.  And only a year left on his contract, due to contract trigger.  The right time to pounce imho.  Would fit Tinnion’s profile.

IMG_7609.thumb.jpeg.0f1b655c64c514459779cfd8eca6cdfb.jpeg

I don’t see him playing as a no10, certainly not in the way Alex Scott way but I see him being creative from deeper, more like Josh Brownhill or like I think Alex will become  That’s who I see him being more like.

IMG_7610.thumb.jpeg.ea9747cf819dd671bd668472746867e3.jpeg

Has actually filled it at RB this season, but that’s not best use of his abilities.

Will be interesting to see how phase two recruitment goes, there might be a lull after this early onslaught!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

With McCrorie and Dickie in the building and Roberts looking likely it seems that Defence is sorted and some physicality and height added too.

So phase one ✅

I think the next phase is recruitment of a CM and this guy is my no1 choice if we still looking at Lg1 Gems.  The need for a Marvin Elliott type goes away slightly (we have Naismith don’t forget), so he’s my pick.  We need to find the long term successor for one or more of James, Williams and Naismith for varying reasons.  I’ve left King out of that equation, as his playing role will naturally diminish.

Only 22, 150+ appearances for Derby and 17 Ireland caps.  And only a year left on his contract, due to contract trigger.  The right time to pounce imho.  Would fit Tinnion’s profile.

I don’t see him playing as a no10, certainly not in the way Alex Scott way but I see him being creative from deeper, more like Josh Brownhill or like I think Alex will become  That’s who I see him being more like.

Has actually filled it at RB this season, but that’s not best use of his abilities.

Will be interesting to see how phase two recruitment goes, there might be a lull after this early onslaught!

Was he part of the ROI squad that trained at the HPC? Another potential selling point if we were interested along with Sykes already being here.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Was he part of the ROI squad that trained at the HPC? Another potential selling point if we were interested along with Sykes already being here.

He was there indeed, also made the squad for the qualifiers. If there's anything legit here we're probably waiting until internationals are over.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So phase one ✅

Jason Knight would be great but is he not a bit out of our price range, as it stands?

Reckon this could be the sort of signing we might make if/when Scott leaves. 

• Like 1

If/when Scott leaves, I would like to see two midfielders arrive. 

Knight would also be top of my list. 

One being a controller/battler and the second being a creator/10.

We need more goals from midfield. It’s the one minor concern I have going into the season. I feel we may over-rely on Conway as a source of goals. He’s a natural finisher, but it’s a big ask to put that much responsibility on him at this stage of his development. FWIW, I do believe he will get 15+ this season. 

Some of the funds received for Scott to be used on Knight, + a creator, and an additional source of goals. We would be in a fantastic place going into the season.

One name I would be tempted to try for would be Matt Crooks (Middlesbrough). He is so physical, and contributes with goals. His playing time has reduced since Carrick arrived due to their possession based style of play. I just wonder if he may become available as the window progresses.

19 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Jason Knight would be great but is he not a bit out of our price range, as it stands?

Reckon this could be the sort of signing we might make if/when Scott leaves. 

Not with just a year left on his contract…imho.

8 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

If/when Scott leaves, I would like to see two midfielders arrive. 

Knight would also be top of my list. 

One being a controller/battler and the second being a creator/10.

We need more goals from midfield. It’s the one minor concern I have going into the season. I feel we may over-rely on Conway as a source of goals. He’s a natural finisher, but it’s a big ask to put that much responsibility on him at this stage of his development. FWIW, I do believe he will get 15+ this season. 

Some of the funds received for Scott to be used on Knight, + a creator, and an additional source of goals. We would be in a fantastic place going into the season.

One name I would be tempted to try for would be Matt Crooks (Middlesbrough). He is so physical, and contributes with goals. His playing time has reduced since Carrick arrived due to their possession based style of play. I just wonder if he may become available as the window progresses.

I quite like Sonny Carey at Blackpool, got decent attributes, good technique.  He’s not Crooks like, but I reckon he’d be a good fit for us.  Drifts between the lines, gets shots off.

IMG_7612.thumb.jpeg.c3e5d4571df6622a31b7eb08c855a4d5.jpeg