IGNORED

Max OLeary new Contact

Dazy07

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think Max has grown into the team and done well in our current run. However, I’m still not sold on him. The distribution remains a concern for me, and I’ve not seen enough to say he’s a top end championship keeper (I think he’s fine at this level but I’d be looking for more).

Congratulations to him, but I hope that’s not our Gk position considered as resolved and would want some strong competition at the very least in the summer - whether that’s Haikin or someone else.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Excellent news.  I’m with @Silvio Dantein terms of I’m interesting to see what else we might do in the GK position this summer.  As Nige says, they’re always looking out for better.

Wasn't Bajic our perspective No.1 ?
He was talked of as our first choice with Max back up. The injury set him back, Max has stepped up a level and I thought Haikin was only signed to allow Bajic to get games. I got the feeling from all I read that Max & Bajic were 1 & 2 and Haikin was an after thought to fill a gap. It did sound like Bajic was highly rated. 

1 hour ago, brady bunch said:

I understand the contract contains a clause that allows the club to deduct £500 for every time he kicks it into touch! :laugh:...

But as the OP says 100% worth a new deal, getting better every game, starting to command the box, but needs to push on further to be a "top six" type goalkeeper for me.

Christ! If Frankie Fielding had a similar deal he'd have been paying us! 

In all seriousness his deal is well deserved having shown considerable improvement with no reason not to improve further.

• Like 1

At the risk of being pedantic the article states he was 16 in 2016 but is 26 now. I know our defence has been poor at times over the years but worrying to age at such a rate! Come to think of it I remember our decline from the late 70's - early 80's was blamed for John Shaw's hair loss.

Is there something going on?

25 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Wasn't Bajic our perspective No.1 ?
He was talked of as our first choice with Max back up. The injury set him back, Max has stepped up a level and I thought Haikin was only signed to allow Bajic to get games. I got the feeling from all I read that Max & Bajic were 1 & 2 and Haikin was an after thought to fill a gap. It did sound like Bajic was highly rated. 

The story seems to be that Max was leaving to be someone else's number 1 as he felt that was what he needed at his age. Bajic turned up with an injury that failed to heal before the transfer window closed, so we had to hold on to Max. 

Bentley's form dropped sufficiently to allow him to become our number 1 instead.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

The story seems to be that Max was leaving to be someone else's number 1 as he felt that was what he needed at his age. Bajic turned up with an injury that failed to heal before the transfer window closed, so we had to hold on to Max. 

Bentley's form dropped sufficiently to allow him to become our number 1 instead.

Strange old game at times...................

• Like 1