IGNORED

Pearson - Various National Newspaper Interviews (Merged)

Mr Popodopolous

26 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Literally the first 2 I saw when googling a few things (Pearson 2 year anniversary).

@Bristol Rob saw the Guardian one before me tbh. Excellent interview though.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Pearson - Various National Newspaper Interviews (Merged)

Found it hilarious that he got Scott Murray to come round to help chop down a tree! And at the same time I just really love that. 

Pearson was his obvious vast wealth could have easily hired someone to come in and do it. But instead choose to do it with members of staff. I think this just shows the culture that Pearson is building here. Pearsons man management skills are incredible. 

9 hours ago, Pezo said:

Interesting that he said that it's been harder to turn around than he thought it would be.

I think we must also remember that when Pearson joined, he didn't seem to be in full health due to how covid impacted him. He then also had that heart procedure. That was a worrying time. It surely had an impact upon the moral of the squad and also his own ability to do the job to the best of his ability understandably. 

Now he seems to be at full health and very content in his personal life. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think we must also remember that when Pearson joined, he didn't seem to be in full health due to how covid impacted him. He then also had that heart procedure. That was a worrying time. It surely had an impact upon the moral of the squad and also his own ability to do the job to the best of his ability understandably. 

Now he seems to be at full health and very content in his personal life. 

As someone whose backed Pearson despite the results / performance this is a main reason why. Pearson has had numerous opportunities due to health reasons to walk from this club and in reality nobody would have questioned it. I genuinely believe he’s seen something at our club and personally I think it’s the young players coming through , he can see the potential if these players are as good as the club believe they can be. Maybe he sees similarities with us and Leicester and believes he could achieve promotion with us also. He’s clearly brought into the ethos of the club and has for a long time. Yes he’s been grumpy and prickly at times and no doubt will he again in the future. He along with the players deserve this opportunity to go up against one of the best club sides in world football 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

As contemporary football managers/head coaches go, Nige is a bit leftfield, quirky; he's not your average football obsessive (he doesn't watch every match on tv). As football clubs go, we are a bit, what shall we say, quirky? We're a bit soft/daft, a bit odd. Soft/daft but with 27,000 seats and 20,000 crowds. 

Steve Lansdown is also not your typical club owner (not trigger-happy). These things take time, and Steve gives you time. Unless you're .... but let's not get into all that now.

Nige is also a bit of an adventurer, a wanderer and a rambler (a Rambling Man), and managing Bristol City, or attempting to knock Bristol City into a serious promotion contender from this level of English football, is like going somewhere only two blokes have ever been before, and not for quite some time. Wild dogs are guaranteed along the way. 

Get Burnley/Watford/Leicester/Forest promoted to the top division, and it's all been done before, probably only two years ago. Not exactly "meh," but you'll just be one in a long line of many, and there won't be a statue.

Get Bristol City promoted to the top division, that is a bit different. Who's done that before? Who outside of Bristol, under 50 years of age, can name them? Alan who?

At this point, Nige is John Cabot: John Cabot with his boat booked, the backing of a local merchant, and just his crew to finalise.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, LeicesterFanInPeace said:

May I just say that there most certainly would be a statue of Big Nige outside King Power if the majority of fans had their say. 

The culture and legacy he built here is in its death throes now, (mainly thanks to our current manager.) But it’s taken 8 years for it to die out because of how deep rooted it was. 

Reading that interview and this forums comments about him provokes much nostalgia. I miss him here loads ?

Whilst Leicester are (possibly) slightly above his station these days (though god knows where we’ll end up playing football in august) I’d have the big man back here tomorrow if given the choice. 

Good luck against Man City.

I like in these recent interviews that he says Ranieri deserves a lot of credit, and it wasn’t a case of fait accompli.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I like in these recent interviews that he says Ranieri deserves a lot of credit, and it wasn’t a case of fait accompli.

He deserved recognition but mainly for realising he didn’t need to change it too much. All he really did was make Vardy the main man, with Okazaki the workhorse. Nige had Vardy as the workhorse and Nugent the main man (We didn’t have Okazaki when Pearson was in charge) 

Ranieri obviously provided a miracle but we all know at Leicester that the foundations were laid by Nige. What a bloke

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

14 hours ago, Henry said:

Compare that to the rim jobs Johnson was handing out to Pep and Jose pre match.

What a man. I’d like to be his mate.

I understand the sentiment, I honestly do, but Nige's lovely wife, Nicky, will probably be unwilling to share him with you.

Regardless of that, there's already a large queue ahead of you.

Get to the back !

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LeicesterFanInPeace said:

May I just say that there most certainly would be a statue of Big Nige outside King Power if the majority of fans had their say. 

The culture and legacy he built here is in its death throes now, (mainly thanks to our current manager.) But it’s taken 8 years for it to die out because of how deep rooted it was. 

Reading that interview and this forums comments about him provokes much nostalgia. I miss him here loads ?

Whilst Leicester are (possibly) slightly above his station these days (though god knows where we’ll end up playing football in august) I’d have the big man back here tomorrow if given the choice. 

Good luck against Man City.

Yes, including Leicester in that list ignores the fact that Nige's team went on to achieve the most improbable success in decades (but who would be carved in stone: Nige, Ranieri, the owner, Jamie Vardy?) I just have Leicester amongst those clubs that bob up and down to and from the top division like we do between the second and third.

9 minutes ago, forbespm said:

How many other managers would know of half man half biscuit?

Wonder if he will be at there gig in September with Trevor tainton a hmhb fan

Stanley Mortensen ("1966 and all that") may have been too old to realise he gets a sudden namecheck on the classic Back in the DHSS album. 

Gerry Gow may have been too ill to realise he gets mentioned on the Urge For Offal album (forget the name of the song).

3 hours ago, LeicesterFanInPeace said:

He deserved recognition but mainly for realising he didn’t need to change it too much. All he really did was make Vardy the main man, with Okazaki the workhorse. Nige had Vardy as the workhorse and Nugent the main man (We didn’t have Okazaki when Pearson was in charge) 

Ranieri obviously provided a miracle but we all know at Leicester that the foundations were laid by Nige. What a bloke

I read that when checking just now he was fully aware of the Okazaki signing.

Who takes the credit for Kante too- NP, Ranieri, DoF or some combination of all?

Both deserve a lot of kudos for different reasons IMO.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Who takes the credit for Kante too- NP, Ranieri, DoF or some combination of all?

Walsh and Mackenzie were his trusted recruitment team.  Walsh, coach and scout, Mackenzie data.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I’m not sure on the Kante signing. The one constant has been John Rudkin our DOF. (For better or worse ((ridiculously long contracts for overwhelmingly shite players are really hurting us this last season or so))

Fuchs was signed by Sir Nige but never actually played for him.

Its funny really, should Pearson ever come back here (which I don’t think he will for one second) he’d have just a big a job getting rid of all our overpaid shite as he did when he took over after Sven

• Thanks 1

On 28/02/2023 at 18:59, LeicesterFanInPeace said:

I’m not sure on the Kante signing. The one constant has been John Rudkin our DOF. (For better or worse ((ridiculously long contracts for overwhelmingly shite players are really hurting us this last season or so))

Fuchs was signed by Sir Nige but never actually played for him.

Its funny really, should Pearson ever come back here (which I don’t think he will for one second) he’d have just a big a job getting rid of all our overpaid shite as he did when he took over after Sven

Kante was Pearson and Walsh. Ranieri didn't want to sign him and had to be persuaded.

Okazaki also a Pearson/Walsh/Mackenzie signing. 

Letting Ranieri start getting his own way on transfers was his his downfall the year after the title. Pretty similar to now with Rodgers. Utterly useless when given more control over transfers.

• Thanks 1