IGNORED

Odd criticism on the Blue Moon forum

Steve Watts

Was having a browse last night and quite a few were moaning about the - and I quote - "farmers field of a pitch"!!!

Am I missing something or were they watching the wrong match by mistake?  That pitch is perfect!  Which is quite an achievement considering the hammering it takes!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Was having a browse last night and quite a few were moaning about the - and I quote - "farmers field of a pitch"!!!

Am I missing something or were they watching the wrong match by mistake?  That pitch is perfect!  Which is quite an achievement considering the hammering it takes!

It certainly isn't anywhere close to perfect, that's a really rose tinted view tbh. It might look nice and manicured from the stands and I'm sure the Groundstaff work their bollocks off to get it in as good a condition as they can. But all I see is players slip sliding all over the shop, Saturday was mental, happened about 25 times. It needs looking at. Far too many games of football, women's international football and rugby played on it in a short space of time, lately, for me.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 14
  • Flames 3
  • Robin 1

2 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Tell them, we don't plough these days. No-till. Hold the carbon. Ploughing is so 20th century.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

It really isn't perfect, that's a really rose tinted view tbh. It might look nice and manicured from teh stands and I'm sure the Groundstaff work their bollocks off to get it in as good a condition as they can. But all I see is players slip sliding all over the shop, Saturday was mental, happened about 25 times. It needs looking at. Far too many games of football, women's international football and rugby played on it in a short space of time, lately, for me.

I think that's harsh.  You look at what the Mammary Gland was like when Bristol was still over there and then look at what we are playing on - that's chalk and cheese.  Ok, I accept "perfect" might be over egging it slightly, but farmers field?  Come off it!

To be fair, the slipping and sliding, particularly on Saturday, just looked like they got their boot choice wrong for the match.

• Thanks 1

Got to agree with the replies, last week it was constant how often players were slipping and last night it happened a few times too. Having so many games played its really taking its toll on the pitch and when you consider how a slight slip during a nothing tackle has put Atkinson out for so long it's likely to happen on a pitch that isn't in good condition. 

The pitch really does need a rest and playing rugby on it is only going to make it worse. 

• Like 1

Just now, Steve Watts said:

I think that's harsh.  You look at what the Mammary Gland was like when Bristol was still over there and then look at what we are playing on - that's chalk and cheese.  Ok, I accept "perfect" might be over egging it slightly, but farmers field?  Come off it!

To be fair, the slipping and sliding, particularly on Saturday, just looked like they got their boot choice wrong for the match.

Yeah, sixteen players all got their boot choices wrong yet having the option to change boots at half time still managed to slide around second half too and then it happens again last night..............the pitch at the moment is all fur coat and no knickers. Before anyone gets offended I'm not blaming the Groundstaff for that. In reality hosting those two Women's internationals on the same day has done it no favours.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Yeah, sixteen players all got their boot choices wrong yet having the option to change boots at half time still managed to slide around second half too and then it happens again last night..............the pitch at the moment is all fur coat and no knickers. Before anyone gets offended I'm not blaming the Groundstaff for that. In reality hosting those two Women's internationals on the same day has done it no favours.

Though I don't recall Hull having the same problems, so who knows.  Maybe like you say I'm seeing it through rose tinted specs though,  I completely accept that may be the case.

14 minutes ago, One Team said:

One comment I noted was referring to us as rag supporting Heysel apologists! ??

I was looking at their thread before the game and they seem to have an obsession with the idea that this was our first gate over 20000 and that it was because "most of Bristol supports Liverpool or United or Rugby". 

Perhaps, there is some truth in the division of football fans, but as Bristol and the surrounding area seems to be increasingly full of incomers, it's not surprising that they would bring their allegiances with them.

I don't think we can be too upset at how ill informed they are.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Pitch is fine.  Criticism was obviously from someone sat watching on TV.  The high camera angle makes it look worse than it does in the ground..  

It isn't fine. I watched some of the match from TV this morning. Some of the close ups showed areas with big areas of grass missing, and holes. In concentrated areas. Either from warm up positions, mauls and scrums.

We've been lucky with the weather this winter. Imagine how much worse it could be if we had had it wet for long periods.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I was looking at their thread before the game and they seem to have an obsession with the idea that this was our first gate over 20000 and that it was because "most of Bristol supports Liverpool or United or Rugby". 

Perhaps, there is some truth in the division of football fans, but as Bristol and the surrounding area seems to be increasingly full of incomers, it's not surprising that they would bring their allegiances with them.

I don't think we can be too upset at how ill informed they are.

Ironic for a team whose fanbase contains quite a number if non-Mancunians -and indeed a number sat watching them on telly in Beijing. 

I think they've also forgotten how low their crowds were sometimes, before an influx of filthy oil money from a despotic state propelled them to where they are now.

Still, northerners are not exactly famed for being humble...

• Like 15

Quick browse of their matchday thread, some chippy one eyed individuals for sure. Blue Moon for reference. Divers this, etc- a side with Grealish in banging on about divers.

That said minority v majority etc. On other platforms and their post match thread there is more balance.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Ironic for a team whose fanbase contains quite a number if non-Mancunians -and indeed a number sat watching them on telly in Beijing. 

I think they've also forgotten how low their crowds were sometimes, before an influx of filthy oil money from a despotic state propelled them to where they are now.

Northerners are famous for being up their own asses

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Fur coat with no knickers does not picture anything to do with football 

I do think the pitch looks it's worst for many a year. The demands of rugby and two England lady's game has not helped at all . But all that slipping past few games does not look good. When I played, local village team. I used short studs beginning and end of season and long rugby studs through the worst weathers in winter. And I did often play on ploughed fields, or so it seemed  

I agree the pitch is as poor as it's been for many a year at the moment, but it's our pitch and I couldn't give a toss what some northern oik thinks about it.

So f@#k Man City, I look forward to laughing at the penalties they receive for their enormous financial indiscretions.

Let's move on to the next item on our agenda - 3 points to gain from our latest trip to South Wales. (Wales is a lovely country, spoilt only by Welsh people).

COYR!!!

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

One poster on there said that our crowd will be 15k less for the next league game as usual ?
Another claimed to live near Ashton Gate and said that statement was “100% accurate”….clearly lying, or just thick as shit. Probably one the many Gas sympathising Man City or ‘Ci - teh’ glory hunters who’ve sprouted up in the last 10 years whilst our crowds have actually grown to the 19/20k we get now in the lower half of Div 2.

Apart from that I thought most of their comments were pretty fair, they were the better team, the pitch is very slippery for some reason at the moment. Few compliments about us giving it a go. 
On top of that nice comments from Pep, Nige seems happy, ££s in the bank, avoided a humiliating defeat and we’re not far from safety which seemed a long way off on Boxing Day.

Could be worse.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

Though I don't recall Hull having the same problems, so who knows.  Maybe like you say I'm seeing it through rose tinted specs though,  I completely accept that may be the case.

Not a huge issue at the MKM Stadium, as Hull FC play Feb to Sep, so their pitch doesn't get as much of a pounding during the winter months,

11 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

One poster on there said that our crowd will be 15k less for the next league game as usual ?
Another claimed to live near Ashton Gate and said that statement was “100% accurate”….clearly lying, or just thick as shit. Probably one the many Gas sympathising Man City or ‘Ci - teh’ glory hunters who’ve sprouted up in the last 10 years whilst our crowds have actually grown to the 19/20k we get now in the lower half of Div 2.

Apart from that I thought most of their comments were pretty fair, they were the better team, the pitch is very slippery for some reason at the moment. Few compliments about us giving it a go. 
On top of that nice comments from Pep, Nige seems happy, ££s in the bank, avoided a humiliating defeat and we’re not far from safety which seemed a long way off on Boxing Day.

Could be worse.

Yes it could!

image.thumb.png.38655b709279168928f33d9c4099e310.png  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, East Yorkshire CideRed said:

Not a huge issue at the MKM Stadium, as Hull FC play Feb to Sep, so their pitch doesn't get as much of a pounding during the winter months,

I meant they didn't seem to have that issue on our pitch on Saturday.  Not that I recall anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

To be fair to them in League 1 they were still averaging 28k....though that may have been swelled by the 150000 that the Slags took up there....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Steve Watts said:

To be fair to them in League 1 they were still averaging 28k....though that may have been swelled by the 150000 that the Slags took up there....

Aye, but they've "found" 24K ardent supporters since then. Maine Rd wasn't selling out when they were third tier.

I accept their claim that they have the majority support in Manchester proper, but I can recall when they were averaging low 20s in the early days of the Prem. Roughly the same amount as our support last night which apparently is "******* shit". How we could've got more in isn't clear. House them on the roofs I suppose?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Actually think their fans are a sound bunch, still have a massive core fanbase from back in their League 1 days in the late 90s. 

Can't help but feel sorry for them for the sheer misery of having Man Utd as your neighbours during the 90s and 00s. 

• Like 3