IGNORED

Towler, goalscorer.

1960maaan

I get the impression that Towler saw his future with us. 

We invested a lot of time developing him, and the loans out were to further develop his career with us in the near future. 

Maybe NP thought Towler wouldn't be breaking into our first team anytime soon, and that there are players in the Academy that could reach his level or beyond. 

A lot of timing involved I think and pathways etc. 

If Atkinson had injured himself pre Towler leaving, maybe we would have recalled him for cover. 

Who knows...I like Towler...my gut tells me he'll be a decent League 1, Championship level player in his career.

The move to Portsmouth most likely benefits him more, than it does us in hindsight. 

Good luck to the lad.

• Like 2

I'm pleased we have so many good players coming through the academy. 

I'm also pleased we're not holding up the careers of players who have not broken through into the first team. 

I'm sure we'll miss one or two this way, but we also won't be stockpiling players who aren't going to make the cut. 

Edited by sinenomine

20 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

I merely answered the point about all and correct. All at Bristol City did not think this was the correct decision. 

But you’re often gonna get differences of opinions on players and their current and future levels….made more complicated by pathways of other players.

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

he probably did until someone (Portsmouth) created an alternate option!  There was no need for him to think anything else really, unless he was already thinking about not having his destinations on loan controlled by the club.

We invested a lot of time developing him, and the loans out were to further develop his career with us in the near future.

we have indeed, but it’s quite possible that the view of his suitability versus speed of progress of others has changed, especially when another team has put a proposition on the table that wasn’t there.  Nige and Tins have both said they were happy for Ryley to stay.  Tins came on Exiled Robins Live “Twitter Space” and he answered a Q I put to him.  He said Ryley would’ve come back from Wimbledon and pre-season would be his next opportunity to see if he could be part of the first team squad.  If not, they’d then look at whether another loan was needed, etc.

Maybe NP thought Towler wouldn't be breaking into our first team anytime soon, and that there are players in the Academy that could reach his level or beyond.

Pompey forced the club to make a decision that wasn’t necessary pre-bid.  Tins has said there are others in the Academy that came into the equation.  Raph Araoye and Jamie Knight-Lebel are the two obvious ones in the conversation.

If Atkinson had injured himself pre Towler leaving, maybe we would have recalled him for cover.

Quite possibly.

Who knows...I like Towler...my gut tells me he'll be a decent League 1, Championship level player in his career.

He’s made a very good start there, well done to him.  It’s all about him now and how far he can take his career.

The move to Portsmouth most likely benefits him more, than it does us in hindsight.

Got the impression that although a low fee initially, several incremental (and easily achievable) payments, e.g. 20, 40 apps type stuff…with of course a sell-on percentage too.

Good luck to the lad.

Absolutely.  Brave decision too, as Pompey were managerless at the time.

⬆️⬆️⬆️ with all of the above, there is probably some diplomacy in the answers Nige and Tins gave, and also ensuring they come across as joined up too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

I do wonder if he might turn out to be one “who got away” in terms of our Academy players who have broken thorough to the first team but then had restricted opportunities. Will he be a better player than Vyner in a couple of years’ time? Very likely I would suggest. And given our dearth of central defenders last night, the thought of Andy King coming on to replace an injured Kalas or Vyner, doesn’t bear thinking about.

I think this has already been covered but I think it was a generous move by City who didn’t want to block the lad’s career. He is now getting regular starts and developing nicely. If and when he gets a transfer I expect we’ll get a nice little sell on fee.

Good luck to the lad. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

But you’re often gonna get differences of opinions on players and their current and future levels….made more complicated by pathways of other players.

⬆️⬆️⬆️ with all of the above, there is probably some diplomacy in the answers Nige and Tins gave, and also ensuring they come across as joined up too.

Appreciate the reply ?

Lots of conundrums as you point out. 

I'm assuming, if Portsmouth hadn't come in for him, or any other team, he'd still be a City player, and we wouldn't have been proactive at looking to sell him.

Portsmouth came in, City told him we can't guarantee first team football next season and there's competition for his position in the academy.

Seems a no brainer for Towler.

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

But you’re often gonna get differences of opinions on players and their current and future levels….

Yes.

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

there is probably some diplomacy in the answers Nige and Tins gave, and also ensuring they come across as joined up too.

A second yes. Your exceptionally good at this, 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, spudski said:

Good luck to the lad.

Think that’s a pretty flawless summing up of the situation.

• Thanks 1

Not sure if it’s just me but i really think we’ve gone all ‘Real Madrid’ on this one and have a first dibs buy-back clause!

Just seemed an odd sale, for a cheap fee, of a promising youngster, at very short notice. 

I just feel we’ll be seeing him back in 3 years to bolster our Premier League squad! ?