IGNORED

Hall of Fame class of 2022/23 - the next inductee had a dream...

shahanshahan

The Supporters Club & Trust are pleased to announce that one of the Ashton Gate Eight; Chris Garland; is the next inductee into the Hall of Fame class of 2022/23 - representing the 1960s/1970s.

He is ‘One Of Our Own’ being born and raised in BS3 and growing up in the flats overlooking the stadium.

After playing for Bristol Boys, Chris joined City as a 15-year-old apprentice in 1964. He made his City debut aged 17 here at Ashton Gate on 3 December 1966 in a 2–0 victory over Preston North End. He was soon a regular team member and became much in demand from other clubs.

Chris made his big move to Division One Chelsea for £100,000 in 1971, enjoying three seasons there then two at Leicester City.

When Bristol City won promotion to Division One in 1976, Chris put in a transfer request. He returned to his home-town club in the top flight – for him a dream come true. City narrowly escaped relegation with a brilliant end-of-season run-in. Chris scored the goals against Manchester United, Leeds United and Liverpool to bag seven points and set up the final day showdown at Coventry City.

As the Club plunged into a deep financial crisis following successive relegations, Chris became one of the "Ashton Gate Eight" in 1982, who sacrificed their contracts to save our Club. Even then, after six months playing in Hong Kong, he returned to City a second time on a non-contract basis to help us in our hour of need in Division Four.

Fq3rH3iXsAUnmZd?format=jpg&name=medium

The presentation will take place pitchside this Saturday during half-time at the game against Blackpool. Sadly Chris; who suffers from Parkinson’s disease; is unable to attend but Chris’s wife Ruth, brother Martyn, his daughter Jessica, sons Adam & Ryan will gather with their families. They will accept the award on Chris's behalf from Supporters Club & Trust President Marina Dolman. They will earlier have enjoyed hospitality and a presentation courtesy of the Supporters Club & Trust in the Heineken Lounge.

The remaining inductees from the 1940s/50s & 1980s/1990s decades will be announced in due course. They will join Chris Garland, Gary Johnson & the previously announced Loren Dykes MBE & Corinne Yorston to be the inductees of this class of the Hall of Fame.

Words by @Blagdon Mike. Graphics by me!

• Like 3
  • Robin 3

Thanks for posting this. Really pleased: as others have said he was a real hero of mine in my younger days supporting City. Very deserved recognition.

Just to say though that like a good many others around me on Saturday the shocking state of the Dolman PA meant that I just didn’t realise this is what was happening before the game. I know we grumble and make a bit of a joke about the PA but at times like this there’s a serious side to it as well. 

For some reason I didn’t notice your post on Friday. I was aware something was going on, and knew that it was being explained over the PA but couldn’t make out a word of it. And all around me people were asking each other and looking equally blank. I know a photo went up on the screen, but that was fairly late on in proceedings, didn’t really explain anything, and the photo itself wasn’t entirely clear. Such a pity. 

Edited by italian dave
  • Like 1

Chris grew up in the flats overlooking the ground. 

He'd go out on his balcony pre game to look at the pitch, then take the short walk to the ground. 

His Dad and family would cheer him on at games from their balcony. 

Couldn't get more local. 

Here's a great pic. 

On a side note...Buster Footman was also inducted last Saturday. 

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, spudski said:

He'd go out on his balcony pre game to look at the pitch, then take the short walk to the ground. 

Couldn't get more local. 

Here's a great pic. 

I can’t help wondering whether those legs match the head and shoulders of the guy from the flats that was in the recent ‘old picture of Ashton Gate’ thread ?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, spudski said:

Unfortunately, he wasn't. His son Rick was invited by the Former Players Association to honour what would have been Buster's 85th birthday this month

9 hours ago, italian dave said:

Thanks for posting this. Really pleased: as others have said he was a real hero of mine in my younger days supporting City. Very deserved recognition.

Just to say though that like a good many others around me on Saturday the shocking state of the Dolman PA meant that I just didn’t realise this is what was happening before the game. I know we grumble and make a bit of a joke about the PA but at times like this there’s a serious side to it as well. 

For some reason I didn’t notice your post on Friday. I was aware something was going on, and knew that it was being explained over the PA but couldn’t make out a word of it. And all around me people were asking each other and looking equally blank. I know a photo went up on the screen, but that was fairly late on in proceedings, didn’t really explain anything, and the photo itself wasn’t entirely clear. Such a pity. 

Sorry that you had audio issues, which have long been reported & made aware to - and also by - the Supporters Club & Trust board

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Unfortunately, he wasn't. His son Rick was invited by the Former Players Association to honour what would have been Buster's 85th birthday this month

Sorry that you had audio issues, which have long been reported & made aware to - and also by - the Supporters Club & Trust board

Thanks for clarifying. I misread what had been posted. Thank you. ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Quick solution until it's sorted if ever Subtitles on the big screens. Oh for the days of Dennis Langley. That's one for the oldies.

• Robin 1

21 hours ago, italian dave said:

This is spot on.

It was only when I sat elsewhere for the Norwich game (under the screen by the corner of the South stand & Lansdown) that I appreciated how abysmal the service is that us Dolman types get.

Every game it is extremely difficult to hear announcements like this & why it continues to be a longstanding problem is baffling.

The suggestion to use the screens to at least give those of us sat in silence a clue WTF is happening is a very good one.

21 hours ago, spudski said:

Couldn't get more local. 

Here's a great pic. 

That was the first kit I had, probably 6 or 7 . Basically Red shirt, Red Shorts and Red football socks. No branding or badges back then so just generic and not from the Club, still one of the best Birthday presents I  ever had. I was so excited I bagged for (and got) the shorts a few days early so I could wear them to play down the Park. 

Chris Garland was my first City hero.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

This is spot on.

It was only when I sat elsewhere for the Norwich game (under the screen by the corner of the South stand & Lansdown) that I appreciated how abysmal the service is that us Dolman types get.

Every game it is extremely difficult to hear announcements like this & why it continues to be a longstanding problem is baffling.

The suggestion to use the screens to at least give those of us sat in silence a clue WTF is happening is a very good one.

Ditto when I sat same place for the Blackburn game. (Hospitality?).

I also notice it at just about every away game. Even at “tinpot” Luton I could hear every announcement clearly. 

You’re right about using the screens being one way to help. But even then they need to get it right. The other two things that really irritate me about it are

- the visiting team line up: they read it out, which of course is inaudible, and also put it on the screen, but in a font size so small that you can’t read it.

- substitutions: again, read them out, but only the City ones are displayed on the screen, and I know those anyway. It’s the away team I need! 

• Flames 1

53 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

That was the first kit I had, probably 6 or 7 . Basically Red shirt, Red Shorts and Red football socks. No branding or badges back then so just generic and not from the Club, still one of the best Birthday presents I  ever had. I was so excited I bagged for (and got) the shorts a few days early so I could wear them to play down the Park. 

Chris Garland was my first City hero.

You can't beat plain and simple kits imo. Good times

• Like 1