IGNORED

Reasons To Be Cheerful

bcfc01

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Being pedantic, sorry.

He’s played most of his career in a more attacking midfield role and in a game where we controlled possession I thought he passed it well today, little probing passes here, nicely weighted passes there.

But he got his toe in several times today.

As you say, good pass to Weimann (think it was Sykes run that attracted the full-back).

He isn’t gonna play every week, but you can see why Nige wants him around on match day and at Failand.  He seems to enjoy bringing on the kids too.

All allegedly on a v.low wage.

I’ve watched a lot of ageing pros who were on the way down (hello Jody Morris) totally phone it in at Ashton Gate over the years, but yesterday was a perfect example of why Pearson brought Andy King in.

We were without James, Williams and Naismith & so had few other options in centre mid bar the peerless Scott & a load of kids who have been on loan at the likes of Yate earlier this season.

King, who has actually been available for selection for every single game this season & been in the league match day squad on 33 occasions, was very good.

Couple of brilliant passes, some smart interceptions & so calm on the ball.

He’s 34 now & it is obvious 90 minutes twice in a short period is tough for him but I’d happily see him get another year to do exactly the same job he’s done this season, back up player & a coach.

He’s a top professional & if the rumours that he’s on a low wage are true (highly likely when you consider he didn’t have a club after his unhappy time in Belgium) then it’s an even better deal for me.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

15 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

He was classy today. Showed real leadership throughout. 

Was nice to see him in a more natural position and he showed his worth once again. I like him. 

OTC has that little bit of something I think, really committed young man who'll add a bit of legs to our midfield when he's on. I'd be tempted to give him a start or two between now and season end 

Also think King deserves a lot of credit for the way he’s clearly trained and kept himself fit.

Having not made a league appearance/started since Boxing Day, given his age (34), given his coaching responsibilities, given his contract situation… to put in two near 90-minute performances in the middle of midfield twice in five days is an absolute credit to him.

He’s clearly near the end as a player and after Boxing Day I doubt anyone would’ve been surprised if he never featured again, but he’s also clearly kept applying himself when it would’ve been really easy not to. Fair play.

• Like 13
  • Flames 1

I think it was a pretty good squad performance against probably the worst team we've seen at AG all season. Most City players put in a very decent shift and the likes of King and Dasilva had arguably their best games this term. 

By contrast, imagine the horror of waking up this morning as Jerry Yates - and realising you've made an utter tit of yourself on national television.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think it was a pretty good squad performance against probably the worst team we've seen at AG all season. Most City players put in a very decent shift and the likes of King and Dasilva had arguably their best games this term. 

By contrast, imagine the horror of waking up this morning as Jerry Yates - and realising you've made an utter tit of yourself on national television.  

Agree with all of that.

Knew there was absolutely no chance of James playing & must admit thought with so many others missing too & us in the middle of a goal drought it would be a drab 0-0.

However basically the only 11 senior players we had left (just look at that bench) managed to see us through comfortably against easily the worst side we have played.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I’ve watched a lot of ageing pros who were on the way down (hello Jody Morris) totally phone it in at Ashton Gate over the years, but yesterday was a perfect example of why Pearson brought Andy King in.

We were without James, Williams and Naismith & so had few other options in centre mid bar the peerless Scott & a load of kids who have been on loan at the likes of Yate earlier this season.

King, who has actually been available for selection for every single game this season & been in the league match day squad on 33 occasions, was very good.

He’s 34 now & it is obvious 90 minutes twice in a short period is tough for him but I’d happily see him get another year to do exactly the same job he’s done this season, back up player & a coach.

He’s a top professional & if the rumours that he’s on a low wage are true (highly likely when you consider he didn’t have a club after his unhappy time in Belgium) then it’s an even better deal for me.

That’s exactly how I see it as well.

It’s no coincidence IMO that we’re seeing more academy graduates making the step up to the first team while Andy King’s been around. He’s a model pro who clearly sets the standards for others to follow.

Having the experience of both a PL winner and international to guide the youngsters through is indispensable, especially if when can get performances like the one yesterday out of him. 

He has exactly the sort of profile to be a top coach in the future as well.

Edited by tin
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, tin said:

It’s no coincidence IMO that we’re seeing more academy graduates making the step up to the first team while Andy King’s been around.

Having the experience of both a PL winner and international to guide the youngsters through is indispensable, especially if when can get performances like the one yesterday out of him. 

Totally agree but a lot of credit needs to go to Andi and Nahki too for their influence on the young ones.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

34 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

That's 11 clean sheets in the league as well as 1 against West Brom in the cup, compared to only 5 clean sheets in the whole of last season. The last two with only one recognised centre half.

Nige has been speaking about making us harder to beat since he came in - this is yet another stat which proves we’re well and truly heading in the right direction 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, brad blit said:

We get to see Scott at least 4 more times before he leaves in the summer. His quality shone today 

Wow… I really didn’t realise there was only 4 home games left. As much of a meh season as it’s been, it has gone pretty quickly. And whilst we aren’t mathematically safe, relegation won’t happen now. On Boxing Day I thought for sure we’d be in the dog fight. So that’s my biggest reason to be cheerful, we’re ending it strongly, injuries doing their best to get us down but the boys keep fighting. Well done Nige and team, really did have my doubts but you’ve proven me wrong. Hopefully this summer we can get some players in and really push on, even though that will mean losing Scott! 

• Like 1

I think we all realise Nige is building not just for the now but hopefully a lasting legacy. If Andy King is the personality people are starting to think who better to hand over to when Nige feels the time is right to relinquish his position? If not King then one of the other trusted colleagues.

That scenario sounds a bit like the Anfield Boot Room to me...

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Better players than him have done it.........

40 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

The fact that Nige was at City undoubtedly had a massive effect in King coming here. They obviously know each other from their time at Leicester and they have huge respect for each other and the same applies to James.

I really believe that appointing Nige was an astute move. 

He’s gradually cleared up the mess left by Ashton and LJ and created a squad of youth and experience - SLs long term ambition being fulfilled.

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, tin said:

It’s no coincidence IMO that we’re seeing more academy graduates making the step up to the first team while Andy King’s been around. He’s a model pro who clearly sets the standards for others to follow.

You could see how close King and Alex are after Alex goal, great to watch

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Aye. Doesn't make it any less of a head-in-your-hands moment though.. 

Various options to beat O'Leary but manages to carefully steer it well wide. 

From my view in Dolman E29 I thought he tried to go around O'Leary on the outside but he shinned his last touch and it ran away from him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

From my view in Dolman E29 I thought he tried to go around O'Leary on the outside but he shinned his last touch and it ran away from him.

I think he just was caught in two minds, not sure whether to round the keeper or shoot and ended up doing neither.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

2 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Also think King deserves a lot of credit for the way he’s clearly trained and kept himself fit.

Having not made a league appearance/started since Boxing Day, given his age (34), given his coaching responsibilities, given his contract situation… to put in two near 90-minute performances in the middle of midfield twice in five days is an absolute credit to him.

He’s clearly near the end as a player and after Boxing Day I doubt anyone would’ve been surprised if he never featured again, but he’s also clearly kept applying himself when it would’ve been really easy not to. Fair play.

I think perversely, having not played much over the 3 or 4 years, there are still minutes left in his legs.  Someone posted on Friday they doubted that King could play back to back.  My response, part joking, was that he’s probably like a coiled spring, ready to go again.  He probably can’t wait for game day when there’s a chance he’s gonna start.  His weight of passing is excellent.  Think he was offside for the far post volley he didn’t quite get hold of, but he has good instincts in the box too.

2 hours ago, tin said:

It’s no coincidence IMO that we’re seeing more academy graduates making the step up to the first team while Andy King’s been around..

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

You could see how close King and Alex are after Alex goal, great to watch

It was wasn’t it…I think we’ve seen from the various uncut videos that he is a bit of big kid around Alex, Tommy etc.  Think he admitted they were giving his a fresh lease of life too, so a bit two way.  Got the impression from those videos that him and Andi are here in Bristol on their own during the week, so plenty of mixing with the young’uns.

And so many moaned about the old-school Leicester network.  But Rennie, King and James have been a big success.  Simpson wasn’t overall, but someone I know with a kid in the Academy said he was really good too with the youngsters, just became frustrated because he wanted to play.

I felt lots of good individual performers today. But most importantly we are seeing better combinations and tram work ethic developing and improving. Yates was a handful. Noticed him trying tough Pring up couple of times first half and he did do Zak twice. But the defence was solid as a unit. And the degree of patience we should in possession as Blackpool set up to block and spoil again showed good organisation, tactical awareness and all playing to a plan. And the crowd, do not believe 19,000, got behind the team well. So all in all well done everybody. We are moving forward slowly but duty and I enjoying going down the gate again. Still think we three seasons off a serious play off pushing season. I happy to watch the journey.

COYR

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

I think perversely, having not played much over the 3 or 4 years, there are still minutes left in his legs.  Someone posted on Friday they doubted that King could play back to back.  My response, part joking, was that he’s probably like a coiled spring, ready to go again.  He probably can’t wait for game day when there’s a chance he’s gonna start.  His weight of passing is excellent.  Think he was offside for the far post volley he didn’t quite get hold of, but he has good instincts in the box too.

Certainly get the logic - I think it’s more appreciating that keeping himself in that condition when there may never be another opportunity takes a different level of drive and persistence.

FWIW, if he started near every game in a 46-game season I think he’d comfortably score double figures. The timing of his runs into the box is excellent - seems to always arrive onto things, sort of Lampardesque. Very clever player.

Edited by The Journalist
Just to caveat - obviously assuming he’s playing in that position and he still had the legs, before anyone thinks I’m mad!