IGNORED

Reasons To Be Cheerful

bcfc01

Premier League often gives the impression of being undeserving/ungrateful egocentric juveniles swanning around, earning a fortune and thinking they’re the bee’s knees. We’ve got (I think) 5 players with Premier League experience: Andy K, Andi W, Matty J, Nahki W and Tomas K (the latter two each with fewer than 10 appearances each admittedly). These seem like 5 experienced professionals, setting great examples on work ethic etc to the younger lads. Maybe a good indication that some experience from higher levels around training and on match days, even if later in in careers (Andy rather than the other four), can have significant benefits in imparting wisdom and what it takes to succeed at the top level. Must be impactful for Alex to be working with someone with a Premier League winners medal. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, redysteadygo said:

From my view in Dolman E29 I thought he tried to go around O'Leary on the outside but he shinned his last touch and it ran away from him.

Whatever it quickly went from a heart in the mouth moment to one of total hilarity. 
As Margot Leadbetter would have said ‘ Thank you , Jerry’ 

It’s a good life ! 

Edited by Major Isewater
  • Like 2

He said, 

So far the speculation has been cooked up by journalists and agents.

"We have not received one firm offer. If we do, it will need be more than £25 million in today's market.

"I believe Alex will play for England one day. I thought that when I first saw him in a training session and nothing since has changed my mind."

• Like 1

It gives so much encouragement for next season, no loan players about to go back to their ivory tower clubs, so many young players who are constantly improving making up the majority of the team. 

Think we all accept AS will be sold in the summer and best we can accept is a loan back , but with 25m+ in the bank to invest in more young hungry talent and not highly paid has beens. Also allows us to fight off interest in our other young starlets who I can also guess are being watched.

• Like 1

Plenty of reasons to be cheerful. 

We have got rid if wasters such as Bentley, Palmer, Martin etc and reduced the wage bill yet we are on course for a better placed finish. 

This season as a whole has been better than last season. Bad performances have been few and far between. 

When Nige first came in, we couldn't even get a shot on target. 

We then couldn't stop conceding.

We then couldn't see games out and would concede late goals. 

Generally our players were not fit. 

Finally we then couldn't score goals from outside the box. 

I'm very cheerful because in Nigels time here, each one of those things have been addressed one by one. 

With this continued progression then I'm excited that next season we will be pushing for the play offs.

• Like 6
  • Hmmm 2

We are moving in the right direction at the moment and yesterday was all about patience, a little bit of luck, and a committed performance throughout the team.

Its a shame we find ourselves with injury issues yet again, and who knows where we might be if we had a fully fit squad. But it is what it is, and for me a top half of the table finish would be very satisfying. 

There still is a long way to go before we are strong enough to compete with top six sides over the course of a full season, but hey, another Championship season beckons, in what is becoming an increasingly difficult league to get out of. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

He said, 

So far the speculation has been cooked up by journalists and agents.

"We have not received one firm offer. If we do, it will need be more than £25 million in today's market.

"I believe Alex will play for England one day. I thought that when I first saw him in a training session and nothing since has changed my mind."

I trust he will be selected for the U21's whenever the next squad is named ?

1 hour ago, Red_Alligator said:

We are moving in the right direction at the moment and yesterday was all about patience, a little bit of luck, and a committed performance throughout the team.

Its a shame we find ourselves with injury issues yet again, and who knows where we might be if we had a fully fit squad. But it is what it is, and for me a top half of the table finish would be very satisfying. 

There still is a long way to go before we are strong enough to compete with top six sides over the course of a full season, but hey, another Championship season beckons, in what is becoming an increasingly difficult league to get out of. 

A long way off? With all those injuries we are only 3 wins off of being short of competing to be a top 6 side. 

Let's not forget that by and large we've had some appalling refereeing decisions throughout the whole season which has cost us points.

I think we're actually a lot closer than you realise. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

That's 11 clean sheets in the league as well as 1 against West Brom in the cup, compared to only 5 clean sheets in the whole of last season. The last two with only one recognised centre half.

Lets not forget the many on here who thought it was a disgraceful decision to drop Bentley a few months back..................that hasn't worked out too disastrously so far.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Lets not forget the many on here who thought it was a disgraceful decision to drop Bentley a few months back..................that hasn't worked out too disastrously so far.

Been a great decision, and credit to Max and the defence for making it work, whoever has played in front of him.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

A long way off? With all those injuries we are only 3 wins off of being short of competing to be a top 6 side. 

Let's not forget that by and large we've had some appalling refereeing decisions throughout the whole season which has cost us points.

I think we're actually a lot closer than you realise. 

All teams are subject to appalling refereeing, just look on any forum. I hope you're right of course, but we still have to - at the very least - deal with the issue of not being able to consistently field our strongest eleven.

2 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

All teams are subject to appalling refereeing, just look on any forum. I hope you're right of course, but we still have to - at the very least - deal with the issue of not being able to consistently field our strongest eleven.

Of course they do and things usually even out but I don't think that can be said for us. Even yesterday we should have had another penalty. 

3 games off the top of my head that we should have won if we would have got thr correct decisions was Hull away, Wigan away and Sheffield United at home.

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Of course they do and things usually even out but I don't think that can be said for us. Even yesterday we should have had another penalty. 

3 games off the top of my head that we should have won if we would have got thr correct decisions was Hull away, Wigan away and Sheffield United at home.

But we didn't. And that's always been part of the game.

Good luck always tends to go in favour of teams at the top, it's all part of the mix which gets them there. The teams at the bottom tend to get the worst of the luck. That's life. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

But we didn't. And that's always been part of the game.

Good luck always tends to go in favour of teams at the top, it's all part of the mix which gets them there. The teams at the bottom tend to get the worst of the luck. That's life. 

If VAR was in the Championship, we'd be a top 6 team right now. And thats what I mean about us not being as far off as you think.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

If VAR was in the Championship, we'd be a top 6 team right now. And thats what I mean about us not being as far off as you think.

You can't know that. After all VAR would be available for every team in the division, therefore it would have influence elsewhere. Anyway VAR is not exactly perfect, is it??

Edited by Red_Alligator
  • Like 1

What I like as much as anything is Nige is back to his old self.

You contrast the body language, general demeanour in his interviews between that Xmas period and now. I was genuinely worried about his health at the turn of the year. I think, perhaps, even he was questioning whether he was going to crack it and if he had made the right choice with this Club.

Now, a calm, authority exists. More measured, confident and relaxed. ..but still with hunger and determination to succeed. Just look at that passion last week in his response to the question about the players that left in January. 

Well done that man. 

• Like 6

20 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I trust he will be selected for the U21's whenever the next squad is named ?

I think  he will be in the under 20s as they have a world cup in May.  Same side he was in that won the euros.  If I were him I'd want to play in a world cup tournament and I hope the England management think the same.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Red_Alligator said:

You can't know that. After all VAR would be available for every team in the division, therefore it would have influence elsewhere. Anyway VAR is not exactly perfect, is it??

Of course. But not every team went 400 odd days without getting a penalty. Even tho we've had two recently we are still down on the average. 

Almost every single game this season we should have had a penalty. 

We rarely get wrong decisions go in our favour either. 

So if things were just a little bit normal with decisions then we would be in and around the play offs, despite having a depleted squad.

• Hmmm 1

20 hours ago, Red_Alligator said:

I believe that we have actually played better football against the top ten than against the bottom ten. I'm not referring to the match score but the quality of the performance . It's significant to me that our only defeat since Jan 1 was against one of the poorer sides and the win against Blackpool is the first win against any of the current bottom three.

So to succeed in a top six finish next season, we need to improve our points won against those in the bottom half.

5 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I believe that we have actually played better football against the top ten than against the bottom ten. I'm not referring to the match score but the quality of the performance . It's significant to me that our only defeat since Jan 1 was against one of the poorer sides and the win against Blackpool is the first win against any of the current bottom three.

So to succeed in a top six finish next season, we need to improve our points won against those in the bottom half.

Strangely we still struggle to breakdown sides that come to defend. You would think with the added pace of our players and the guile of Scott in particular, that we would have the tools to do that.

I think it shows that we need a Semenyo type to change things up, or maybe we have just missed a fully fit Conway.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Sorry, in the absence of @BS4 on Tour..., I am acting as pedant!

image.png.80b398b67daf5b8aea434fae75537eb2.png

We beat Huddersfield also.

Selectively picking the bottom 5, 16 points from 9 games ain’t too shabby…for the team we currently are.

Totally agree though, that if we are to improve, we need to get better results all-round.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Sorry, in the absence of @BS4 on Tour..., I am acting as pedant!

image.png.80b398b67daf5b8aea434fae75537eb2.png

We beat Huddersfield also.

Selectively picking the bottom 5, 16 points from 9 games ain’t too shabby…for the team we currently are.

Totally agree though, that if we are to improve, we need to get better results all-round.

Ta muchly. I can remember facts, figures and whole teams from my teenage but last week and five minutes ago are just blank now.

• Haha 1