IGNORED

15 years since my first City game...

shahanshahan

17 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I miss that little scoreboard on top of the Wedlock’s ?

I think the first game that was up for was the mauling we got at home to Wolves. Live on Sky and 3 little pigs v the wolf at half time

https://www.sportbible.com/football/football-20-years-ago-wolves-mascot-got-into-a-crap-with-three-little-pigs-20181107

And the reason I remember it was because that was when you could legit phone up radio Bristol after the game and get on the phone in. I remember that the presenter (not Geoff) asked me about the scoreboard at the end of my call and I remember saying it was too small - he's only got himself to blame, he should've cut me off during my earlier rant.

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, weepywall said:

. I do remember the Portsmouth game when we won promotion to Div 1 

I was in the enclosure for that one and for some poor bloke it was his last game!!!

talking of Watford 15 years ago, was that the season we were both running neck and neck and we took over 4000 to Vicarage Road just before Christmas? What an atmosphere that was. 

• Like 1

Just now, stortfordred said:

I was in the enclosure for that one and for some poor bloke it was his last game!!!

talking of Watford 15 years ago, was that the season we were both running neck and neck and we took over 4000 to Vicarage Road just before Christmas? What an atmosphere that was. 

I was in the enclosure for that one and for some poor bloke it was his last game!

PS very sad but what a way to go!!!

23 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Well done Shahanshahan. You'll be an old man before you realise it.

As for me, on April 7th, it will be my 73rd anniversary. I'm not far off total insanity.

That is an awesome effort. You've witnessed so much. I wish I had your years under my belt. 

1 hour ago, stortfordred said:

That was the 97-98 season. Fantastic atmosphere in the away end that game. Great goal from Goater too. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, stortfordred said:

A few more than 4k

My first game was a league cup game versus Everton in 1967. We lost 5-0. That Everton side with the likes of Ball, Kendall, Labone and Joe Royle were pretty decent. And then there was the FA cup game when Royle was their manager.  I remember playing them  off the park and hitting the bar and post and creating loads of chances. They had one shot on goal and scored. And that year they won the cup. 

• Like 1

On 12/03/2023 at 18:02, weepywall said:

Am I the only one on here that struggles to remember the first game I went to this season let alone a game from in my case about 48 years back. I do remember the Portsmouth game when we won promotion to Div 1 and I think it was Notts County on the Saturday after..which we lost.

Because every City player had drunk so much orange juice that had chilled the brain!

11 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

My first game was a league cup game versus Everton in 1967. We lost 5-0. That Everton side with the likes of Ball, Kendall, Labone and Joe Royle were pretty decent. And then there was the FA cup game when Royle was their manager.  I remember playing them  off the park and hitting the bar and post and creating loads of chances. They had one shot on goal and scored. And that year they won the cup. 

I met Joe Royle on the way into Ashton Gate about 4/5 years ago and I said I remember your first match at City. He thought I meant the four he scored on his debut.

I said, no, when you and Bally, Kendall and gang, ripped us to pieces 5-0 in a League Cup tie circa 1967. And the whole City crowd clapped Everton off the field for a superb display. He was delighted that some still remember back that far.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 2

On 13/03/2023 at 15:44, Webzcas said:

Superb season, I was there somewhere in the Atyeo. Having moved back from Spain in 2006, the years 2006 - 2008 were some of the best years I have had supporting City. What a ride and the team under Gary J had an excellent never say die attitude.

I loved those years too. There was a real sense of togetherness at the club. 

• Like 2

my first game was City v Fulham (November 71). City lost 2-1 which set me up nicely to have low expectations. Promotion season was terrific, our stay in the Top Flight too short, and the downhill spiral dramatic. The climb back toward an established Tier 2 Club was gradual. 

As I recall it, there was a gap of 65 years from previous top flight football to the promotion season in the 70's. I pray its not another 65 years before we're back

• Like 1

Saturday 15th August 1970, Home against Sunderland. I was keener to get near the middle of the East End ( next to it at least) than worry about being able to see. As a 10 year old I missed most of the game and goals but it was amazing. 
For the record we won 4-3, there was loads of trouble and a lot of Sunderland on the East end. Sharpe (2) , Skirton & Wimshurst scored and the team was.

Gibson, Jacobs, Drysdale, Wimshurst, Rooks, Parr, Skirton, Garland, Galley, Gow, Sharpe with Trevor Tainton Sub.

Att. 17,584.

No my memory isn't that good, just looked it up.

Just starting to build the promotion team.

• Like 1